Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Could Have a Beer with Anyone in History Who Would It Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Alan Watts.
    Hello Harry,

Alan Watts? Well I'll be gobsmacked. That was about the last name that I would have expected from you. I would have guessed more along the lines of say Erwin Rommel. Could it be that under that tough, conservative exterior of yours beats a sensitive, liberal heart?

c.d.

By the way, I am also a big Alan Watts fan. You probably know this but a number of his lectures are available on YouTube.

Comment

Eric Arthur Blair (George Orwell)

Woody Guthrie

My parents - because, sadly, I never shared an adult drink or adult conversation with either of them.

Comment

I'd pick from this short list depending on my mood:

George Washington
        Babe Ruth
        Daniel Boone (my great x 5 (or is it 6?) grandfather)
        Winston Churchill
        Fredrick Abberline

Comment

First off.. I am a bit sad that nobody picked me!!!

This is the
          "old dinner party game" where you can invite 3 people from history.. and everyone will speak the same language (so you can't say so and so can't come because you wouldn't understand them).. my picks are usually

1-Lao Tzu
          2- Harpo Marx
          3- this once changes...sometimes it's Johannes Kepler or Einstein (or Tesla)....other time Babe Ruth or Jack Dempsey, and still other times I would want someone I actually did have several dinners with...he was truly the most interesting man in the world (commercials be damned) and I miss him terribly, Bert Randolph Sugar.. seriously, the man was part Damon Runyon, part Groucho Marx, part Ernest Hemmingway and all fun!!!.. a special man.. problem is, if Bert were there nobody else would get a word in (but we would ALL be entertained!!)

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Can I pick someone who is still alive.

See I've got thismate in 'America who I've never met.

Would love to gave a drink with him.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Can I pick someone who is still alive.

See I've got thismate in 'America who I've never met.

Would love to gave a drink with him.
              I don't know.... I heard he was a Fatty Bum Bum and a real jerk.... probably likes Brisbane Lions as well hahhah

Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                I thought this might be an interesting idea for a thread. Of course you are free to choose anyone you wish but I would try to keep in mind the beer aspect of it. There are people in history that I admire but they might not be my first choice for a pub companion.

With that in mind, my choice would be Mark Twain.

c.d.
                that's an easy one for me-Jesus!
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Make sure the beer hasn't been watered down or he'll turn it into wine.

Comment

Richard III - wouldn't be beer, more likely a stoup of sack, but I'd dearly love to know if he really did bump off his nephews in The Tower.

Robert Johnson - again, it wouldn't be beer, but probably a bottle of bourbon. I'd just like to watch him play guitar.....I know what he sounded like, but I would just like to watch him do it.

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      I would share a pot of tea with Oliver Hardy, and I would have Mozart playing pub piano.
                      Only after he and Stan had to drag it up a long flight of steps. Might be time for a beer instead of tea then. At least Mozart would be less likely to smash the thing up.
                      Best Wishes,
                      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

I would take Liszt over Mozart... he would get better woman to join us

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Adam and Eve (as in the first homo-sapient)
                          King Tut
                          Henry VIII
                          Elizabeth I

DaVinci
                          Einstein
                          Newton
                          Hawkins

What meeting of minds to observe

John
                          Paul
                          George
                          Ringo

Price concert

Jack
                          Then I'd know who he was

Numerous departed family and friends

Paternal grandparents who I never knew
                          Maternal grandparents who I knew and adored
                          My two best mates who were killed when an ambulance hit the car they were in
                          My great grandmother who I had till I was 14 (just for one last hug)

My great Aunty who suffered with CP, couldn't walk, barely talk, but a wicked sense of humour and most of all because she loved a beer and it would let her have one last one.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

You always miss one or six!

Id have to add:

Christopher Hitchens.
                            Van Gogh (though I can't speak Dutch)
                            Francis Bacon (the painter)
                            Salvador Dali.
                            WG Grace.
                            My grandfather ( I never met him)
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                              I would take Liszt over Mozart... he would get better woman to join us

Steadmund Brand
                              Plus Liszt rhymes with what everyone may become with all that beer flowing so freely.
                              G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                that's an easy one for me-Jesus!
                                Hello Abby,

You probably wouldn't have any trouble getting a table. Now the big question - would you pick up the tab or wait till he makes a gesture to pay?

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X