New Independent Review No. 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Independent Review No. 3

With any sort of luck besides the "worst of luck," the next issue of the New Independent Review should be in subscribers' mailboxes next week. Those who have not yet signed up may get subscription information at: http://newindependentreview.com/ as you'll not want to miss this upcoming issue.

Leading off, Nicholas Connell writes about crime historian Hargrave Lee Adams, of whom "Fleet Street editors eagerly published the reports by this writer, who was on friendly, personal terms with Senior Officers at Scotland Yard . . ."

Michael Hawley presents the second part of his article about Charles A. Dunham, a reconsideration of the tale of Dr. Tumblety's anatomical collection. "It is an intriguing prospect that the motive or inspiration behind the Whitechapel killings may have been the Ripper visiting freak-museums," writes the author.

There is a double-dip from Jonathan Hainsworth this time around as he turns his attention to a new source for the story of the West of England MP who named Druitt as the Ripper. As he explains "Just two days before Frances Coles was murdered -- but not mutilated . . . a potential scoop broke in The Bristol Times and Mirror." Plus, the publication of the Aberconway version of the Macnaghten memoranda has prompted Jonathan to write "Aberconway needs to be understood in its historical context or else it will remain cast adrift rather than seen for what it is . . ."

There will also be the regular features, including columns by Adam Went, who writes of Frederick Deeming and Lionel Druitt while indulging in some daydreams, and Don Souden ponders why Phoebe Atwood Taylor stopped writing about Asey Mayo at such a young age.

Don Souden,
    Editor.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

anticipation

Hello Don. This is great news! I look forward to it.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Issue number 3 should be in subscribers' boxes right now with major new articles by Nick Connell, Mike Hawley and a double dip from Jonathan Hainsworth. If you don't already subscribe you will find full information at http://newindependentreview.com/

Don Souden,
      Editor.
      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Oh boy! I'll start reading it right now.

Comment

Hi all,

There were a few interesting discoveries while researching this article, not directly related to the main trust of the article. For example, there was a freak museum in operation on Whitechapel Road during the time of the murders recreating at least one of the Whitechapel murder scenes! These nineteenth century public anatomical museums generally had as their main attraction a Florentine Venus -a female dressed in a nightgown in bed with her abdominal organs exposed. Some even had removable breasts. Not that this resembles any of the Whitechapel crime scenes . I have a few more details in the article.

Sincerely,

Mike
          The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
          http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Mike is spot on here (why should anyone think differently, LOL) as the resemblance between the so-called "Florentine Venus" exhibit and the scene in Number 13 Miller's Court is uncanny. Did Kelly's killer have that display in mind? It is hard to believe otherwise.

Don.

Comment

E E Clive

Hello Don. Just starting my issue. In that first article, the crime historian bears an uncanny resemblance to the actor E E Clive. Don't you think?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Lynn,

I had to seek out a photo of Mr. Clive, but yes, he and H.L. Adams do bear a remarkable resemblance.

Don.

Comment

voice

Hello Don. Thanks. But I daresay the voices don't match. NO ONE had a voice quite like E E Clive. (And now I await Robert to come on and back me up.)

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Attached Files

Comment

kudos

Hello Don. Kudos to Mr. Connell for the piece I just finished. Interesting to see another "yea" for Klosowski.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Lynn,

Yes, H.L. Adams seems to have been a fascinating person. His experience with the crimes of that era make his suspicions about Severin intereswting indeed.

Don.

Comment

Mrs. Tumblety

Hello Don. I'm halfway through Mike's Tumblety article and, given the discussion of his wife, I gave Ancestry a go. It may interest you to know that the good doctor is part of 8 different family trees, and he is listed as a "black sheep."

Wife? Always listed as without spouse. I tried marriage records. A no go. Wonder if that was a sort of "Harvey" for him?

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Lynn,

A "Harvey" would seem an apt description, perhaps. Like the obviously gay director -- Corky St. Clair -- in "Waiting for Guffman" whose "wife" was always away from home. And what do make of the Florentine Venus and MJK? Quite uncanny for me.

Don.

Comment

Venus

Hello Don. Having only glanced at the article, I can say merely that it is intriguing.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Venus

Hello Don. Having now FINISHED Mike's fine article, I can say that the Florentine Venus could explain some part of MJK's killing. It may, however, leave out the navel to knees mutilation.

Awaiting further investigation.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X