Time after Time (TV Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    I believe Only Fools and Horses was one such.
    Actually, I once read that M*A*S*H was another.....but again, there is NO WAY this could have become a classic like that....but they should have aired the last two filmed episodes

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I watched a documentary about Blackadder on Yesterday channel (UK) yesterday, as it goes!
      Apparently more seasons, after the first, looked iffy. At least that's the impression I got. The BBC wanted some changes and there was a reduction in their budget.
      I'm glad Blackadder went forth. I think the 2nd series is the best, followed by the 4th.

On the wikipedia page for the Time After Time TV series it says 8 episodes were made.

I did watch up to and including the 5th episode. During it I was saying to myself something like, I don't think I can watch much more of this.
      These are not clues, Fred.
      It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
      They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
      We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
        On the wikipedia page for the Time After Time TV series it says 8 episodes were made.

I did watch up to and including the 5th episode. During it I was saying to myself something like, I don't think I can watch much more of this.
        There were 12 episodes available in the UK - the whole first series I think. The whole story arc was an up-dating of the 'Island of Doctor Moreau' story. The ripper element was, in my view, superfluous and the violence by the ripper character was quite different from the crimes. Trying to cash in on some high profile character names, I think.

Having said that - love time travel sci fi, and as an H G Wells based sci fi show it had some potential. Final scene in 1st series (and only to be 1 series I believe) was very disappointing. But up-dating different Wells novels each season could have been interesting.

Comment

Hello, Etenguy, thank you for the update on this failed time-travel series. I did not realize they were going to turn to the works of H. G. Wells for plot ideas! Interesting concept, but without a creative mind behind the writing, pointless.

I am looking forward to the return of this far-superior American time-travel series, "Timeless", which has both better scripts and performers.

Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            Hello, Etenguy, thank you for the update on this failed time-travel series. I did not realize they were going to turn to the works of H. G. Wells for plot ideas! Interesting concept, but without a creative mind behind the writing, pointless.

I am looking forward to the return of this far-superior American time-travel series, "Timeless", which has both better scripts and performers.

https://www.google.com/search?client...iw=960&bih=600
            Was not a big fan of timeless, but I'll try the next series. Other than doctor who, which is top of my time travel program list, the second series of the travelers is the one I am waiting for.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
              Was not a big fan of timeless, but I'll try the next series. Other than doctor who, which is top of my time travel program list, the second series of the travelers is the one I am waiting for.
              I had to look up "Travelers", as it has completely missed my radar out here in the States. Being neither a Canadian, nor having Netflix International, I have never heard of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelers_(TV_series) Has it really been around that long? Wow.

Interesting concept. A bit like "Quantum Leap" meets "Seven Days", maybe? QL had the borrowing of another person's life and identity, while SD limited the time travel to one week and was a government operation. Like "Timeless", SD used a physical time-capsule.

Delighted to hear you also agree that "Doctor Who" is the best time travel show on Earth. I love the Doctor, all of him-- er, them! Discovered reruns of Tom Baker's episodes while I was in college and took to the program at once.
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                Delighted to hear you also agree that "Doctor Who" is the best time travel show on Earth. I love the Doctor, all of him-- er, them! Discovered reruns of Tom Baker's episodes while I was in college and took to the program at once.
                I grew up with the Doctor, all the incarnations. The canon says Capaldi is the 12th doctor, but, of course, there were others - like Peter Cushing and John Hurt, neither of whom were counted, even though Paul McGann was. All very confusing.

I think Tom Baker holds the record for the longest serving doctor, but Jon Pertwee was my favourite from the classic series (just ahead of Patrick Troughton). I think Matt Smith from the reboot (though Christopher Eccleston and David Tenant were also superb).

Comment

You're lucky to have seen the early Doctors. For most of us in the States, DW started with Tom Baker, though a guy friend of mine during college had seen Pertwee's episodes on PBS in the early Seventies, and liked them very much. (I was in highschool and watching things like "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" and "The Fortsythe Saga".) We American fans would buy up the Target paperbacks, simp!y to try to read the plots to those older episodes. I remember being surprised after watching "The Aztecs" when it was broadcast in 2016 as part of the Anniversary Celebration because I had always read Hartnell's Doctor was supposedly "crotchety" and "grumpy", yet he didn't seem that way at all to me.

Peter Cushing was technically just the movie version of Hartnell's First Doctor, so same character, different actor (movies demand bigger "name recognition", alas). Same with David Bradley, playing the First Doctor in "Twice Upon a Time."

John Hurt's character of The War Doctor has been a bit controversial, to say the least. Apparently he is considered a sort of alternate version of Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor (he was apparently induced to change by artificial means, so not a "proper" regeneration).

I liked Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and Patrick Troughton best of the original Doctors, and Christopher Eccleston, Peter Capaldi, and David Tennant best of the newer Doctors.

However ALL of them are amazing performers, and I just plain love the character of The Doctor (must, to have kept up with the fandom all these years).
                  ---------------
                  ---------------

Comment

I fear I have diverted us from the thread topic. But it is perhaps a comment on the 'time after time' series that we prefer to discuss Doctor Who.

Comment

Working...
                    X