Hidden Suspect - The Whitechapel Murders [Kindle Edition]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

story

Hello David. No, that's not my meaning. It was a free floating story.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hi Zagreus,
      One of the problems I have is that the documents alluded to are not reproduced in the research at all. Therefore what proof does the reader have that the author hasn't just picked a random Whitechapel local and worked from there with the research?

Comment

I downloaded it - how wrong can you go for 77p?

Interestingly the suspect appears to have signed a petition from the tradespeople of Whitechapel to the Home Secretary requesting an increase in Police in October 1888.

The facts about the suspect appear to check out OK on Ancestry.

Looks like a hoax though (details of the Nichols murder aren't quite right, for example)

Comment

source

Hello David. Are the mistaken details provided by the purported murderer? If not, minor errors would be expected.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Yes, Not a lot of detail on the murders themselves but Sawyer supposedly claims to have cut Nicholls' throat while she was still upright - it is my understanding that the evidence overwhelming points to this having happened when she was on the ground.

I'll read the book properly later, only had a two minute scan through so far.

David

Comment

Originally posted by David Knott View Post
              I downloaded it - how wrong can you go for 77p?
              Indeed, David. Even if the suspect doesn't leave his mark on history, it should be remembered as the cheapest Ripper book ever.

Comment

spray

Hello David. Indeed. There was no arterial spray and most of the blood had pooled near the body.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Just finished it.

Clearly if it is to be taken seriously then the original letter is going to have to be produced. The research looks pretty good, I don't know if it will stand up to close scrutiny ... I already have a few niggles: -

- The Nichols murder as mentioned above
                  - Sawyer met the other members of the occult lodge above a pub in Shoreditch in 1888. Whilst the internet reveals that one of them was previously the landlord, it also reveals that he then moved to a different pub, and was dead by 1887.
                  - Sawyer claims to have spent the time between the double event and the Kelly murder 'in solitude' and to have been unaware of the fervour that his crimes had caused, and yet during that time he signed the petition I mentioned in a previous post
                  - After committing the crimes as some kind of initiation, Sawyer never hears from the others again, and seems content to leave it at that (even though he knows where one of them lives)

Having said that, it's more convincing than Maybrick - if you've got a kindle I recommend you download it and make your own minds up!

Comment

objections

Hello David. Thanks for the synopsis.

Those are some weighty objections; but, like so many, perhaps an explanation will be given.

I suppose I too must take the plunge.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Can read in an hour...

Hi all,

It's a worthy read and appears sincere. It hardly seems riches could be the motivation at a buck a book. It also invites research to back up his findings so the gauntlet has been thrown. Unfortunately, very little is mentioned of the murders themselves or how a hairdresser could so quickly acquire the mutilation skills ad hoc. I wonder if any photos of this fellow exist?

It seems we can't get rid of the mason-ettes whether we want to or not.

I second all David Knott's points as well. Overall, I don't know what to think...

Amazon allows one to download a pc version of the Kindle, a nice idea. One can then get a feel for the gadget before taking the plunge...

Greg

Comment

Hi Zagreus - I have just read Hidden Suspect. It's very short on detail but it does provide a very credible account of a hitherto unidentified suspect. I would like to hear if the author is planning to take his research any further.
                        All the best
                        TQ

Comment

It's a shame all self-published e-books aren't written this well. Half of it was fun to read, the other half very boring non-Ripper minutia. Of course the entire thing is fiction. That should have been obvious to one and all. Monetary gain is virtually never the motive for perpetrating a literary hoax. It's the fun of sitting back and watching others make fools of themselves over it. I should know, I wrote this diary back in 1990...

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

It's the fun of sitting back and watching others make fools of themselves over it. I should know, I wrote this diary back in 1990...
                            Hi Tom

Now that had me in stitches, Tom...nice one!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
                              Hi all,

And welcome Zagreus. Any details would be appreciated.

Since I support the unknown man from Whitechapel hypothesis, I'd give this a go. Problem is I'm a Luddite and don't own a Kindle or anything remotely related.

I have friends who insist I must accept the inevitable as resistance is futile. Perhaps I should start a technology thread but can anyone in a few words tell me about Kindles or other devices and which are best and cheapest etc.

Thanks.

For a minute I thought it was being suggested that Tom Sawyer was the ripper, adding to our fictional literary suspects...

Greg
                              Hi, Greg,
                              I am just getting back to this thread, so perhaps someone has already pointed you in the same direction I have taken with Kindle.

You can simply download it to your desktop, then order e-books to read on it. There is no charge for adding Kindle to your current computer.

It is easy and the price is exactly right -- free.

curious

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
                                Amazon allows one to download a pc version of the Kindle, a nice idea. One can then get a feel for the gadget before taking the plunge...

Greg
                                I see you made the discovery yourself. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X