Bridget Kelly born Chatham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridget Kelly born Chatham

BRIDGET KELLY, Violent Theft > robbery, 16th October 1882. 975. BRIDGET KELLY (20) , Robbery with violence on Henry August Redult, and stealing a purse and 4l., his property.

MR. CUNNINGHAM Prosecuted.

HENRY AUGUSTE REDULT . I am a German sailor, staying at the Trafalgar Coffee House, Leman Street, Whitechapel—on 22nd September, a little after midnight, I was at the corner of Batt Street, Ratcliff Highway, and saw a sort of row—I went to see what was going on, and the prisoner drew up alongside of me, and I saw and felt her hand in my left trousers pocket, where I had four sovereigns and 16s. or 17s. in silver, which she took out, and ran—I ran after her, and caught her without losing sight of her—a chap standing in a doorway tripped me up, and said "Let the woman

alone "—I fell on my hands and knees, and got up, and ran after her again—she ran among a lot of people, and tried to hide herself among them, but I was close to her, and kept her in view till a constable came—the two runs before and after my fall occupied about five minutes—I went into the German Flag, and found my hand bleeding—I was stabbed the second time I caught hold of her—I was taken to the London Hospital, and am still under treatment.

Gross-examined by the Prisoner. I charged you of robbing me of 5l.—I was out of my senses at the station.

ALBERT COLLINS (Policeman H 37). About 12.30 a. m. on 22nd Sept. I saw Redult running after the prisoner in Ratcliff Highway—I caught her, and Redult charged her with stealing his purse and 4l.—I got hold of her—she said "I will see you b——before I go with you," and threw herself down—she was very violent, and I heard money drop on the pavement while she was struggling with me—I could not see what became of it as I was engaged with her—I got her with assistance into the German flag beerhouse, and then saw Redult's hand bleeding, and saw blood on the prisoner's apron (produced)—I asked her how she accounted for it—she said "I did it"—on the way to the station she said "I did it, you are a gentleman," but after the charge was read of stabbing as well as robbing him she said that she was innocent—I accompanied Redult to the hospital on the ambulance—he was unable to sit up or speak; he had lost so much blood.

Cross-examined. I did not see a woman cuddle you round your neck and take the purse from your bosom.

CHRISTOPHER FAGAN (Policeman H 260). On 22nd September I was on duty in Prince's Square, and heard a rattle spring—I went in that direction, and came to the German Flag beerhouse—there was a crowd outside—I went in, and saw the prisoner and the prosecutor, whose hand was bleeding into a basin—he appeared very weak from Ions of blood—I saw the prisoner strike a young woman, who said "You have done it, and you will have to pay for it"—the prisoner did not reply—we took the prisoner to the station, and on the way she said "You are a b—Irishman, and so am I; I did it"—and she said to the other officer three times "I done it"—Redult was put on an ambulance, and we took him to the London Hospital—he never spoke.

Cross-examined. I did not see a woman strike you twice in the face in the public-house, but I saw you strike a young woman.

ANN COLLINS . I am an unfortunate girl, and live at 11, Albert Street, Shad well—on 22nd September, about 12.20 a. m., I saw Redult running after the prisoner in Ratcliff Highway—a constable came up, and then three of her companions cuddled her round her neck, and one took a purse out of her bosom—I then heard some money drop, and they scrambled for it—I saw three penny pieces picked up—Redult took the purse, and said that it was his, but there was no money in it—that was while the police had hold of her—they said to him "See if you have not got your purse "—he said "No, I have not," but he put his hand in his pocket and said "Yes, here is my purse, but my 4l. in gold has gone."

By the COURT. I cannot write; I put my mark to my depositions—I did not say "Some money was dropped, they scrambled for it, one of the girls then put the purse back into his left coat pocket"—what I said was

I saw him take the purse out of his pocket, and hold it up—yes, It was so, but I did not quite recollect it.

RUTH COLLINGWOOD . I live at 1, Palmer's Folly, Shad well, and am an unfortunate girl—on 22nd September, after midnight, I was standing at the corner of John's Hill, and saw the prisoner and five more following Redult—the prisoner went deliberately and took a purse out of his pocket, and was about to see what was in it, but he ran after her two or three times up and down John's Hill—he caught her once, but she got away—I think some one tripped him up—she ran up Bett Street, and was coming back, and a policeman caught her—a young woman caught hold of her, put her hand down her bosom, and took out the purse—the other four women were near, and one of them scattered the money about—they were all together, the same five women who ran at first—I could not see the money, but I beard it jingle—Redult held his hand out, and blood was pouring from a wound—I went into the German Flag, and the prisoner struck a young woman, who said "For the like of you we can't get our living; you are not satisfied with robbing sailors, you maltreat them," and struck the prisoner, who struck her back—I did not see what was done with the purse.

Cross-examined. I was in the public-house—the master of the public house did not tell you to take off your apron for the prosecutor to wipe his hand, nor did the policeman take hold of your hands, and strike you twice in the face because you did not take your apron off quick enough—I saw him strike you once, and you struck back—I did not see you take your apron off—I noticed that it was stained with blood—at the station you accused a witness of striking you, but it was not her—I know the young woman who you struck.

Re-examined. I noticed blood on the apron while it was on the prisoner.

BASIL WOOD WALKER , I am house surgeon at the London Hospital—Redult was brought there on 22nd September, a little after midnight, in a state of collapse, from profuse bleeding from a wound on his hand, across the palm from the centre to the side—it went about threequarters of an inch into the palm, and must have been done with a sharp instrument—he is still under treatment.

Prisoner's Defence. I saw a lot of women and the prosecutor following me; he fell and got up and followed me again and asked me for his purse. I asked what he meant and he charged me with stealing his purse. I went with the constable into the beerhouse. The master of the public-house sprang his rattle, which brought another constable. A woman struck me on my face because I could not get my apron off fast enough. There was a piece of an umbrella-handle with a seal to it there, and she said "Here is the knife, I can see that that done it. "He took it to the station.

CHRISTOPHER FAGAN (Re-examined). This piece of an umbrella was given me by a woman—I took it to the police-court—the Magistrate said it could not have been done with that.

GUILTY of stealing only. She then PLEADED GUILTY** to a conviction at Clerkenwell in September, 1881.— Five Years' Penal Servitude.
    Text from the Proceedings of The Old Bailey

I have quite a bit of info on this lady.
    Here's her picture from the convict licence files:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bridget kelly.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	663763

She was the daughter of Patrick Kelly, a soldier, and his wife Mary. His wife and family travelled with the Battalion all over the world so the places of birth of the children are quite varied. He was finally discharged in Chatham where Bridget was born.
    In Bridget's file it mentions Benjamin Goodson, the man Catherine (Rose) Mylett lived with at 18 George Street, Spitalfields.
    It also says Bridget was married but the only name that appears in the file is Kelly, the same as her mother's who is named as next of kin.
    Bridget, like a few of the female convicts from the East End, was encouraged and given financial help to emigrate on her release, escaping the area before Jack arrived.
    Last edited by Debra A; 04-23-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Thank you Debra. I was wondering why I couldn't locate her in any census other than 1881. Good to see a face to the name.

Comment

Well, she supposedly emigrated but I didn't manage to find her in any passenger lists.
        One thing that caught my eye in her medical notes was the fact that her lungs were described as 'unsound'

Comment

Interesting!In the 1881 census, Bridget is residing in the St George, Hanover Square, St Margaret, Westminster area. Born 1862 Chatham. Taking into account that most of the info about Mary Kelly comes from Joe Barnett, I could see one or two pointers ,in the account from the Old Bailey, towards Bridget possibly being Mary Kelly, victim of Jack in 1888.

Comment

I must admit to being interested in this girl for similar reasons initially and then that she knew Benjamin Goodson, who was a Spitalfields man, became interesting for the reason I mentioned earlier.

Here's the whole family in 1871:

Address: White St, St Luke, London
            County: London, Middlesex

Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
            Year Occupation Where Born
            KELLY, Patrick Head M 48 1823 Ireland
            KELLY, Mary Wife F 49 1822 Ireland
            KELLY, Edward D Son M 16 1855 Turkey
            KELLY, David Son M 12 1859 Channel Islands
            KELLY, Bridget Daughter F 10 1861 Kent
            KELLY, Ellen Daughter F 7 1864 Kent
            KELLY, Mary Daughter F 5 1866 Kent
            KELLY, Ann Daughter F 3 1868 Middlesex

Comment

Interesting Thread. A Kelly of the right age, with dubious antecedents who was operating in Ratcliff Highway in 1882. I can't see her as MJK though, despite the unsound lungs. If you adopted an alias name, wouldn't you change more than just the forename?

Regards, Bridewell.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                Interesting Thread. A Kelly of the right age, with dubious antecedents who was operating in Ratcliff Highway in 1882. I can't see her as MJK though, despite the unsound lungs. If you adopted an alias name, wouldn't you change more than just the forename?

Regards, Bridewell.
                what about the younger sister, Mary? Any idea what happened to her.

Comment

A violet from Gravesend?

There is a Mary Kelly listed at 2 Bulls Court, Whitechapel in the 1881 census:
                  Head-Benjamin Davis,35, occupation fishmonger
                  Esther Davis, 30, wife
                  Solomon Davis,4,son
                  Caroline Davis,10, daughter
                  Lewis Davis, 22, brother,unmarried,occupation fishmonger
                  Philip Cohen, 6,nephew
                  Mary Kelly, 20,domestic servant, unmarried, born,Gravesend,Kent

Comment

Davis

Hello CMM. Nice find. At least there's a Davis about.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Here are Bridget Kelly's details in the 1881 census:
                      age 19, born 1862 Chatham, Kent
                      location-Frances Street,Westminster
                      District St George Hanover Square, St Margaret, Westminster
                      Prisoner
                      Occupation-laundress
                      Built in 1618 in Westminster on a Toothill, the British term for the highest ground in the area was Bridewell prison. Rebuilt in nearby Frances street in 1834 and referred to as Tothill Fields. The prison was cited on a map in 1843 as The New Bridewell prison. By 1861 it was known as the Westminster House of Correction and the Middlesex House of Correction by 1869.

Comment

I think I did eventually find some other members of the family in 1881 but I can't remember where now!

In late 1881-86 Bridget's parents give two addresses in the prison records: 3 Elizabeth Place, Whitecross Street, St. Lukes and also 6 Little Arthur Street, Golden Lane. I checked these addresses in 1881 but no Kelly's were living there.

Mary Kelly, Bridget's mother became 'Mrs Marshall' at some point in the mid 80s so I presume her father had died.

Bridget was supposedly married with one child but her name is given as Kelly throughout the file and in her previous court convictions.

Apparently, Bridget couldn't read or write and neither could her father (according to his army records although there is a crudely written note from him in the convict file), Bridget had to have her mother's letters read to her but it's impossible to know if her mother wrote the letters to Bridget herself or someone else did them for her.

I also have the CRIM file on the Ratcliff highway case posted by Cat's Meat Man at the beginning of the thread, courtesy of Rob Clack who photographed it for me at the NA. I will see if there's anything interesting in it.

Comment

Thanks Debra. Supposing Bridget hadn't emigrated I'm wondering if perhaps she tried to reinvent herself as she tried to resettle back into the community after release from prison. There appear to be some interesting similarities with Mary Kelly:
                          Tom Cullen, when researching his 1965 book on the murders, advertised for people with memories of the crimes and spoke with Dennis Barrett, who claimed that as a boy he knew Mary Kelly by sight. He described her as a 'mythomaniac..incapable of stating a fact without embroidering upon it'. According to Barrett, Kelly was 'a bit of a terror' who had a pitch outside the Ten Bells pub and woe to any woman who tried to poach her territory...such a woman was likely to have her hair pulled out in fistfuls '. Cullen also says Kelly was given to robbing drunken sailors in the Britannia.
                          Walter Dew said he had often seen Mary Kelly parading along a stretch of Commercial Street between Flower and Dean Street and Aldgate, or along Whitechapel Road, usually in the company of two or three other women, always fairly neatly dressed, invariably wearing a clean white apron, but never a hat. He described her as ' quite attractive' and ' a pretty, buxom girl'

Comment

I've certainly thought about exactly the same kind of scenario, CMM.
                            Bridget herself was definitely trouble and involved in many fights in prison.
                            Thanks for those descriptions.

It's very hard for me to put my finger on why I am drawn to this woman to be honest...but I am. Maybe I'm influenced too much by the reverend Merrick and his fallen women piece!
                            I'm sure it's not just a case of becoming frustrated at the lack of records to back up MJK's story and how many excuses can we make as to why we can't find her? And I'm almost certain it's not a kick against a politically involved MJK who took on a whole new identity to escape threats on her life.

I look at it as having 'one foot out of the box!'

I don't know if I mentioned that Bridget's last place of abode was given as Whitechapel? So there is a connection to the place.

Comment

Originally posted by cats meat man View Post
                              CHRISTOPHER FAGAN (Policeman H 260). On 22nd September I was on duty in Prince's Square, and heard a rattle spring—I went in that direction, and came to the German Flag beerhouse—there was a crowd outside—I went in, and saw the prisoner and the prosecutor, whose hand was bleeding into a basin—he appeared very weak from Ions of blood—I saw the prisoner strike a young woman, who said "You have done it, and you will have to pay for it"—the prisoner did not reply—we took the prisoner to the station, and on the way she said "You are a b—Irishman, and so am I; I did it"—and she said to the other officer three times "I done it"—Redult was put on an ambulance, and we took him to the London Hospital—he never spoke.
                              In the CRIM file, Fagan remembers this a bit differently:
                              She supposedly said to Fagan: "I did it, I am Irish and so are you, you are a b___d but he is a gentleman [pointing to the last witness]

Comment

Working...
                              X