Apron placement as intimidation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    There's one thing that I've being wondering about so opinions would be welcome. Out of Long and Halse, Long seemed the less certain of the exact wording of the message. Why do we appear to trust the 'Long' version?

Regards
    Herlock
    As Halse was the person pushing for the GSG to be photographed I think his version is more likely to be accurate.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      It seems that there was an inexplicably large time gap between the time the ripper left Mitre Square and the earliest time that the rag could have been placed/discarded in Goulston Street.

Regards
      Herlock
      There is no "earliest time" if you consider the possibility (remote or otherwise) that Long may have been mistaken. Yes, Long says he was sure the apron piece wasn't there on a previous circuit, but I have been repeatedly reminded, by legal advisers in the retiring room, that a witness can be absolutely certain - yet still be mistaken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        Hi H.S.

If you look back over the testimony, PC long's version was witnessed by an Inspector, who read it over and corrected some spelling.
        So, in effect, it was already independently verified before it came to the inquest.
        That is my take.

For what it's worth, the architect W. F. Foster, who drew the plans of the murder scene wrote in pencil the graffiti as a freehand note in the corner of one of his drawings - The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing.

This is a version that never receives any publicity, yet it confirms PC Long's version.
        This side note was written directly beside Fosters instructions detailing where the apron/graffiti was found. None of these details were spoken of at the inquest but Coroner Langham had these drawings in front of him.
        I didn't know that, Jon, but might it not just indicate that Long, rather than Halse, was his source, not necessarily that his was the accurate version?

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          "and yes it does go along with the killers GSG re being pissed off at being interrupted by jews that night."

Hello Abby,

This statement assumes a couple of things which may or may not be true. First, that Schwartz was telling the truth. And even if he was, there is the possibility that the B.S. man was just some drunk on his way home and not Jack.

As for Lawende and his friends, it assumes that Jack was aware that he was being looked at so much so that he was able to determine that they were Jewish. If so, it then begs the question of why he would go on to kill Eddowes so soon after being seen.

c.d.
          Does it not also assume that the woman seen by Lawende and the others was actually Eddowes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            Does it not also assume that the woman seen by Lawende and the others was actually Eddowes?
            do you know if lawende ever stated seeing her apron bridewell?
            there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
              Hi Jon,
              Is there any evidence that Foster was in Goulston St before the message was erased? Or could he have simply recorded someone elses version of the writing when noting it's position?
              Hi Joshua, yes that occurred to me too.
              Foster said that the distance from Mitre Sq. to Goulston St. was 1550 feet.

The police had a device called a Beat-Wheel, which was used to measure every beat. I'm sure Foster had something similar, if that was used to measure the stated distance from Mitre Sq. to Goulston St., then perhaps Foster was the one who made this measurement, meaning he may have been there.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                do you know if lawende ever stated seeing her apron bridewell?
                Six people mentioned Kate wearing an apron at the inquest, but I don't believe Lawende was one of them. However, he did say he'd seen her clothes at the police station and believed they were the ones the woman he saw was wearing.

Comment

The police had a device called a Beat-Wheel, which was used to measure every beat. I'm sure Foster had something similar, if that was used to measure the stated distance from Mitre Sq. to Goulston St., then perhaps Foster was the one who made this measurement, meaning he may have been there.
                  I was about to say, would they have called a surveyor out in the middle of the night to make drawings of the scene, but remembered that he did make a sketch of the wounds which must have been pre-autopsy, and indeed that sketch was apparently done at 03:45, so perhaps he did get to Goulston St before daylight.

Comment

Isn't it more likely that the police used the beat wheel and simply told Foster the distance?
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Isn't it more likely that the police used the beat wheel and simply told Foster the distance?
                      Typically when a professional is employed to produce a plan, the content of that plan is the responsibility of the professional so employed.
                      Remember, this was a City case, so the Met. have nothing to do with this.
                      The City employed Foster in his capacity as a surveyor, so he isn't going to tell the City force to get him the distance, and no-one is going to ask the Met to do the measurement for him.
                      Foster is a Surveyor, it's his job.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• i read your post on 30 inches wickerman but im 50-50 only bc i,m wondering what metric that last zero becomes if the metric for 30 is in inches. not saying he couldn,t have gaffed but he demonstrates professional standards with the lamp measurement. could it have been 30 feet from the end of the street?

Comment

i read your post on 30 inches wickerman but im 50-50 only bc i,m wondering what metric that last zero becomes if the metric for 30 is in inches. not saying he couldn,t have gaffed but he demonstrates professional standards with the lamp measurement. could it have been 30 feet from the end of the street?
                          Hi Robert.

Here is an enlarged view of the Wentworth Model Dwellings.
                          You can see the width across the street is 48 feet, so whatever that 30 feet is, it doesn't even reach across the street, never mind the end of the street.
                          The grey circles are water hydrants.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• In this view we can see a line drawn from that 3rd line of text to something, but the line fades out.
                            The Graffiti (The Juwes are not...etc.) can be seen close by the bottom right to this other set of notes.
                            I feel that with them both being so close there must be a relationship between the two.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• is the W part of the writing too?

Comment

is the W part of the writing too?
                                No, that indicates WEST, there's a very faint E on the other side of the Compass.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X