Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kosminski still the best suspect we have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    The latter, IIRC.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      I doubt Koz was BS man because I doubt a jew would yell a racial slur at another jew. there is evidence connecting him to Mitre square in the form of eye witness testimony from Lawende and the possible positive ID.
      Hi Abby! There's really no proof that Lawende is the witness Swanson refers to - that's pure conjecture - and the "Lipski" exclamation wasn't necessarily intended as a slur - it could have been nothing more than a crude boast by a Jewish man mistreating a woman, as in "Hey look, I'm Lipski!" We know that Kosminski was living within a block or two of the Stride scene and that he had to walk down Berner St. from Commercial Road to get to his street. In my mind, he's the best bet for BS man. I think Schwartz identified Kosminski at the Seaside Home, but only as the man mistreating Stride on the street. He did not witness Kosminski killing Stride, so he may rightly have resisted police pressure to identify him as the Ripper for that reason. The excuse given by Swanson, that his refusal was because he was a fellow Jew, allowed Swanson to infer that Kosminski was the Ripper despite knowing that Schwartz never saw anybody kill Stride.

Dr. John
      Last edited by Dr. John Watson; 02-14-2017, 12:53 AM. Reason: add name
      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        I doubt Koz was BS man because I doubt a jew would yell a racial slur at another jew. there is evidence connecting him to Mitre square in the form of eye witness testimony from Lawende and the possible positive ID.
        I can't speak for Victorian era Jews but it's not unknown for modern racial, religious or sexual minorities to shout demeaning racial, religious or sexual slurs towards one another.

Comment

• Google translate english to Polish

I have mentioned this before but there are other words that BS man could have shouted to Schwartz.

If you put in the word Nosey into Google Translate English to Polish, you get the word
          wścibski...
          meaning
          nosy, meddlesome, inquisitive, interfering, pragmatical, pragmatic

If you turn the volume up and click on the speaker you can hear how like Lipski this sounds...

Also I think Lipski is a connected word to a person from Leipzig ? just another thought.

Pat.....

Comment

• Hi Pat!

Nice to hear from you.

It is interesting that Aaron Kozminski´s brother was born under the name of Wolek Lajb Kozminski (Woolf Abrahams). I have a polish friend and I asked her about the meaning of "Lajb". If a person would know someone with the name of "Lajb", in certain situation he could name him as Lajbski or Libski (German Speaking Area). In such a case they would know each other. That would happen "for fun" or if someone thinks that he has "power" over an individual. Schwartz described "Pipeman" as 5 years older compared to BS Man. Woolf was 5 years older than Aaron and he lived around the corner, 25 Providence Street.

Of course, it has to be taken with a grain of salt but I want to mention it. I guess it is of no importance, just another thought...

Comment

• Hi Karsten, Hope you are all keeping well ?

Yes its interesting the variations on Lipski that can be found.

Heres another Man living at 31 Dunk Street Mile End New Town with his wife Sarah and children in the 1891 census.

Lewis Lipski Head Male 29 Born 1862 Poland Tailor

Pat........

Comment

• Also Baruch Meyer Lipski naturalised in 1890 A Provision merchant born in Kutno
                living with his family at 47 Leman street (at that time) 5 children.
                Seems like there were Lipskis about.....I wonder if the police checked all these out?
                The police thought that BS man shouted Lipski in a connected way to the murder in Batty street. It would seem that they may have thought he was the murderer of Liz Stride.... I would have thought ?

Pat....

Comment

• Sorry transferring last 3 post to the Lipski thread.

Pat.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I have mentioned this before but there are other words that BS man could have shouted to Schwartz.

If you put in the word Nosey into Google Translate English to Polish, you get the word
                    wścibski...
                    meaning
                    nosy, meddlesome, inquisitive, interfering, pragmatical, pragmatic

If you turn the volume up and click on the speaker you can hear how like Lipski this sounds...

Also I think Lipski is a connected word to a person from Leipzig ? just another thought.

Pat.....
                    G'day Pat,

Grandma's family were from Leipzig and I must say I've never heard Lipski in connection to people from there. But by same token not sure what they would be referred to as.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• G'day GUT hope you are well.

Cant find where I saw it (as usual) but it does mention it on this site.

Its to do with the ashkenazi having patronymic names till quite late and then had to change their names.

Its quite an interesting read if one is into names....

Pat........

Comment

• At what point was Kosminski ever a good suspect let alone the best Ripper suspect?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                          G'day GUT hope you are well.

Cant find where I saw it (as usual) but it does mention it on this site.

Its to do with the ashkenazi having patronymic names till quite late and then had to change their names.

Its quite an interesting read if one is into names....

Pat........
                          Thanks Pat, I'll give that a read.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• No; I don't think he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                              At what point was Kosminski ever a good suspect let alone the best Ripper suspect?

That was before we discovered Lechmere.

Rainbow°

Comment

Working...
                              X