Location Argues Against Barnett?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location Argues Against Barnett?

One thing that bothers me about the candidacy of Joe Barnett as the murderer of Mary Kelly is this: Why kill Kelly in a location where he is a semi-frequent visitor known by neighbors, witnesses, etc? It would be just as easy to arrange to meet Kelly somewhere else, in some dark alley, under false pretenses, no?

Of course, plenty of husbands murder their wives/lovers in their own dwellings...

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post

Of course, plenty of husbands murder their wives/lovers in their own dwellings...
    Exactly.....IF Barnett killed her,it didn't have to be premeditated...
    Disclaimer: I don't think he did........
    Steve

Comment

Hello

If Kelly`s death was due to a domestic, the killer just happened to have on him a six very sharp knife.

If this was a domestic that got out of hand no-one heard a quarell between two, or even one person, and the room was in order.

If her murder was premeditated to look like Jack surely she would have been slain in a place other than her room which would draw attention to people in her life.

Comment

Is it not possible Barnett may have had a knife on him? I can't make up my mind if I like Barnett as a suspect or not but I do think he shouldn't be discounted. Even if he did kill her and it was premeditated then I don't honestly think he would have thought about the location that much - at least that's my view.

Comment

Hi Sarah,
          I'm sure he would have thought about the location, since he was well known by the other lodgers and neighbours - don't you think?

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

In some ways though the fact that he was known in the area may have worked in his favour as people would be so used to seeing him they may not have taken it in.
            In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Hi,
              And what about his alibi? (playing cards then sleeping)

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

Hello,
                If Barnett killed MJK, then he had a cast iron alibi for the night hours , but that is irrelevant if Kelly was killed after 9am , on the morning of the 9th.
                Regards Richard.

Comment

Hello Richard,
                  discussing the problem of location (arguing or not against Barnett's candidacy), it is obvious that if he killed Mary with premeditation (as said in the post which I answered), it was a great risk to do so, because a neighbour could easily recognised him (we know from various witnesses' accounts that Dorset ST dwellers used to come and go at night...and Barnett knew this very well).

Amitiés,
                  David

Comment

I am not advocating Barnnet either but I think that it would not be wholly true to say that because he would have been recognised then he didn't do it. We don't notice things we see every day BECAUSE we see them every day. Barnnet may have found it easier to pass by unnoticed because he was seen about so often.
                    In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Sorry, but I can't see any logic here.
                      Barnett did pay a visit to Mary on 8 november, it has been duly noticed.
                      Do you really think, if we assume he did it, that Barnett reasonnings were something like: "I'll go tonight to kill Mary in Miller's Court, and if a neighbour sees me coming or going, he will forget it when asked by the police, since I often come and go around..."???

Amitiés,
                      David

Comment

Barnett didn't do it.

He was checked out.

End of story.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

If you want my opinion, Barnett can't be JtR, and has not killed Mary either. But this thread is about lacation as an argument against, or for his candidacy, my friend, and the question is not stupid at all.

And may be JtR has also been checked and cleared...who knows? Or do you want to put an end to all threads about...hmmm...no names here!

Amitiés,
                          David

Comment

Hi,
                            Yes Stephen, but his checking out resolved around a night alibi, not a morning explanation, that is the only argument .
                            Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                              One thing that bothers me about the candidacy of Joe Barnett as the murderer of Mary Kelly is this: Why kill Kelly in a location where he is a semi-frequent visitor known by neighbors, witnesses, etc? It would be just as easy to arrange to meet Kelly somewhere else, in some dark alley, under false pretenses, no?

Yes they do, and as has been pointed out, if it was a domesic it was most likely not premidatated anyway. These things often happens as a spur of a moment thing.

All the best
                              The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Working...
                              X