Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think William Herbert Wallace was guilty?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John G View Post
    Thanks AS. It's easy to be dismissive of Wallace as a suspect, however, the more I think about this other scenarios seem about as equally implausible.

I'm fact, I think we are all agreed that whatever happened must have been something extraordinary. For instance, even if Parry made the Qualtrough call it doesn't by itself prove he had any involvement in the murder, as the call could have simply been intended as a practical joke, and therefore in this scenario the murder/robbery would simply be coincidental.

And the more I think of Parkes' evidence the more problematic it becomes. As I noted in my reply to Rod, if Parry was involved then we have to accept that he was able to maintain an air of normality in the company of both his girlfriend and her mother for some two hours. It therefore doesnt seem reasonable to me that he would then breakdown in front of Parkes, especially to the extent of blurting out a virtual confession..
    I agree that all the theories have significant problems and issues.

With such an odd case, one has to consider outlier theories to make the puzzle pieces fit. For example, perhaps the Johnstones caught wind from Julia of Wallace's journey and that whole theory is correct. There are of course a couple significant problems with that.

Another one that was bandied about...what if the call was a practical joke but someone at the chess club heard about it and Wallace's resolve to go and decided to swing by at 730 under some bogus pretense. Maybe as someone from the club, JW would let him in.

Do I think these 2 scenarios are what happened? No, Probably not, but I don't see how they are inferior to the Parry and an unknown accomplice theory.

The reason I keep coming back to Wallace himself is his odd behavior and the seeming (to me) coincidences surrounding him if he was truly not involved plus the seeming assasination aspect of this killing (no struggle, attacked from behind), but I do concede this has to be weighed against very tight timing and a baffling lack of distress or blood on him (plus hints that Parry made the call), which is why I would not convict even thought my intuition says WHW was guilty.
    Last edited by AmericanSherlock; 05-09-2017, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply and I will give a line item response. I think the evidence for Parry stalking Wallace is quite weak, bearing in mind that the incidents you refer to could just be coincidence. And I don't see any reason for Parry "stalking" Wallace over such a protracted period: if he was involved in the robbery he simply needed to make sure Wallace attended the chess club on the night of the Qualtrough call and to confirm his departure for the Qualtrough appointment (something he didn't even bother to do if his alibis are to be accepted.)
      I agree, in themselves they are nothing really. But we can say they are not inconsistent with the idea that Parry was stalking Wallace. Why would he stalk him? Well to see if his routine changed. To time his standard movements, pace of walking etc. Wallace had his suspicions, obviously, or why else mention these sightings? Recalling that Parry mysteriously appeared in the chess room [the basement] just after the tournament was announced has to be some kind of red flag, although I concede, on its own, proof of nothing.

Originally posted by John G View Post
      The evidence for Parry making the Qualtrough call is much stronger, akthiugh it's worth noting that Josephine Lloyd estimated that he arrived at 7:15 on the 19th which, if correct, would mean that he couldn't have made the call.
      Who was more likely to be accurate, Lily or her mother? [I think the only witness in the entire case to whom we can ascribe perfect accuracy was PC Sergeant, who used his watch to confirm the time.]
      We know that
      a) Parry was no more than a few hundred yards from the phone box at the right time, and lied about it.
      b) shortly afterwards, Parry was no more than few hundred yards from the chess club - 4 miles away from the phone box - and lied about that too...
      c) On the murder night, Parry was no more than a few hundred yards from Wolverton Street, at exactly the time Wallace would be returning, and offers no fewer than five alibis to cover this short half-hour period.

There is no evidence that Parry lied in respect of the alibis he provided after 8:30. For Instance, in respect of the birthday invitation, Parry actually informed Lloyd that he had obtained an invitation for both of them, and I don't see why he would lie about this. Moreover, in the radio broadcast Leslie referred to Lloyd as "a lovely girl", so it makes sense she would have been invited, which presumably also means Parry would also have received an invitation, regardless of Leslie's animosity towards him, as they were a couple.
      Parry told Goodman in 1966 that the Police had verified that he was with friends arranging a birthday party. That appears to be false, as no statements exist from the 'friends'. Williamson verifies nothing. If he could remember that Parry called sometime around the time of the murder week at 4-5pm to demand sheet music, how come he seemed oblivious to the fact that Parry called on the murder night itself around 8.40pm and spent 10 minutes discussing his birthday party, as Parry claimed? I'm not claiming that Parry didn't somehow gain an invitation to the party, but only that his specific alibi for the critical time on the Tuesday night is not supported by anyone first-hand. There is also the business of the accumulator, which sounds highly suspicious. People are often over-specific, or add irrelevant details, when they are lying or trying to conceal something, and that's what Parry's statement appears to show.

Your argument about the blood stains is well made, and I agree that they would most likely have been noticed by Lily and her mother.
      If we acquit Wallace on the basis of forensics, we must also acquit Parry.

Parkes' testimony is questionable to say the least. Thus, he only came forward publicly half a century after the event, by which time, somewhat conveniently, there was no one left alive who could have contradicted him. Moreover, Parkes was clearly no friend of Parry's, but we're expected to believe that the latter was stupid enough to virtually confess to a murder: "if the police found that it would hang me."
      Whether or not there was anyone alive to contradict him, there were people alive to support him! Once again, Parkes was supported by two Atkinsons - one a direct witness - who could have no motive 50 years later to endorse a fairy-story from an underling which portrays them in a somewhat unfavourable light.

Regarding the accomplice. There was no evidence of a break-in and Wallace himself made it clear that Julia wouldn't admit anyone she didn't know personally. Therefore, following, the robbery, the accomplice could presumably be identified by Julia just as easily as Parry would have been. And why he would an accomplice be prepared to take nearly all the risks, whilst Parry's involvement was essentially limited to making a phone call?
      How could he be identified "just as easily" if he was a blank stranger? He would have to be arraigned first, and how do you do that?
      Why does any criminal take a risk? Because they expect a substantial reward for minimal effort. Parry, if he was nothing else, we know was extraordinarily persuasive. He conned lots of people, even Lily's mother out of her engagement ring [according to WIlliamson]. Persuading some thug that there was only going to be a doddery, elderly woman between him and a half-share haul of perhaps £3000 in today's money would surely be no problem.

I don't agree with your reasoning for the perpetrator leaving with the weapon; it's far more likely that he was concerned about the issue of fingerprints. Nor is there any evidence for a confrontation: the neighbours heard nothing and there were no defensive wounds. In fact all the evidence points to Julia being taken completely by surprise, whilst she sat quietly in the chair.
      It's unimportant why, and you may be right, or a bit of both, protection and forensic-awareness..
      Have you not experienced an "icy" confrontation? A confrontation can be silent. A look can do it. It's still a confrontation, enough for Qualtrough to know the game was up.
      The exact sequence of the assault can never be recreated perfectly, but MacFall was adamant it was near or on the left chair with an initial frontal assault, and to my untrained eye that seems plausible. Consistent with my theory that Julia was intent on leaving the house, and was stopped dead by a panicking Qualtrough.

I also think it unlikely that the perpetrator would have entrusted Parry with the responsibility of disposing of the incriminating evidence. Much more likely that he would have disposed of it himself as soon as possible. In fact, it would be incredible if he were to wonder around the neighbourhood with an iron bar covered in blood and gore, calmly awaiting Parry's arrival.
      Errm. the plan according to my theory was a rendezvous after the robbery at a specific place at a specific time. That place was the pitch-black dark Recreation Ground, a bare two minute walk down the back alleys of Richmond Park, involving the crossing of just one road. Why wouldn't the killer still head for that place of safety as agreed, to be spirited away by Parry's car in a matter of minutes waiting time? It was, in fact, the very opposite of "wandering around the neighbourhood."
      Nor am I convinced with the breakdown theory. Parry spent two hours at his girlfriend's house without giving himself away, assuming he had any involvement, so why should he then suffer a mental collapse in front of Parkes who, as I noted earlier, was obviously no friend?
      I said "some kind of breakdown". A loss of composure, a panic, which is only what Parkes described. It could have taken a while for Parry to learn that Julia was actually dead, a murder victim, and a little longer for it to dawn that he could soon be making the very short acquaintance of a smiling, avuncular man named Pierrepoint...

Enough to panic anyone, I would have thought, especially if they didn't actually kill anyone themselves...

Where to go? What to do? That wimpy, slightly-retarded garage hand round the corner who thinks I'm his pal will be on his own tonight.. He's my lifeline out of this mess!
      Last edited by RodCrosby; 05-09-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RodCrosby View Post
        I agree, in themselves they are nothing really. But we can say they are not inconsistent with the idea that Parry was stalking Wallace. Why would he stalk him? Well to see if his routine changed. To time his standard movements, pace of walking etc. Wallace had his suspicions, obviously, or why else mention these sightings? Recalling that Parry mysteriously appeared in the chess room [the basement] just after the tournament was announced has to be some kind of red flag, although I concede, on its own, proof of nothing.

Who was more likely to be accurate, Lily or her mother? [I think the only witness in the entire case to whom we can ascribe perfect accuracy was PC Sergeant, who used his watch to confirm the time.]
        We know that
        a) Parry was no more than a few hundred yards from the phone box at the right time, and lied about it.
        b) shortly afterwards, Parry was no more than few hundred yards from the chess club - 4 miles away from the phone box - and lied about that too...
        c) On the murder night, Parry was no more than a few hundred yards from Wolverton Street, at exactly the time Wallace would be returning, and offers no fewer than five alibis to cover this short half-hour period.

Parry told Goodman in 1966 that the Police had verified that he was with friends arranging a birthday party. That appears to be false, as no statements exist from the 'friends'. Williamson verifies nothing. If he could remember that Parry called sometime around the time of the murder week at 4-5pm to demand sheet music, how come he seemed oblivious to the fact that Parry called on the murder night itself around 8.40pm and spent 10 minutes discussing his birthday party, as Parry claimed? I'm not claiming that Parry didn't somehow gain an invitation to the party, but only that his specific alibi for the critical time on the Tuesday night is not supported by anyone first-hand. There is also the business of the accumulator, which sounds highly suspicious. People are often over-specific, or add irrelevant details, when they are lying or trying to conceal something, and that's what Parry's statement appears to show.

Whether or not there was anyone alive to contradict him, there were people alive to support him! Once again, Parkes was supported by two Atkinsons - one a direct witness - who could have no motive 50 years later to endorse a fairy-story from an underling which portrays them in a somewhat unfavourable light.

How could he be identified "just as easily" if he was a blank stranger? He would have to be arraigned first, and how do you do that?
        Why does any criminal take a risk? Because they expect a substantial reward for minimal effort. Parry, if he was nothing else, we know was extraordinarily persuasive. He conned lots of people, even Lily's mother out of her engagement ring [according to WIlliamson]. Persuading some thug that there was only going to be a doddery, elderly woman between him and a half-share haul of perhaps £3000 in today's money would surely be no problem.

It's unimportant why, and you may be right, or a bit of both, protection and forensic-awareness..
        Have you not experienced an "icy" confrontation? A confrontation can be silent. A look can do it. It's still a confrontation, enough for Qualtrough to know the game was up.
        The exact sequence of the assault can never be recreated perfectly, but MacFall was adamant it was near or on the left chair with an initial frontal assault, and to my untrained eye that seems plausible. Consistent with my theory that Julia was intent on leaving the house, and was stopped dead by a panicking Qualtrough.

Errm. the plan according to my theory was a rendezvous after the robbery at a specific place at a specific time. That place was the pitch-black dark Recreation Ground, a bare two minute walk down the back alleys of Richmond Park, involving the crossing of just one road. Why wouldn't the killer still head for that place of safety as agreed, to be spirited away by Parry's car in a matter of minutes waiting time? It was, in fact, the very opposite of "wandering around the neighbourhood."

I said "some kind of breakdown". A loss of composure, a panic, which is only what Parkes described. It could have taken a while for Parry to learn that Julia was actually dead, a murder victim, and a little longer for it to dawn that he could soon be making the very short acquaintance of a smiling, avuncular man named Pierrepoint...

Enough to panic anyone, I would have thought, especially if they didn't actually kill anyone themselves...

Where to go? What to do? That wimpy, slightly-retarded garage hand round the corner who thinks I'm his pal will be on his own tonight.. He's my lifeline out of this mess!
        Parkes said once (it sounded as if it was before the murder) Parry asked him "Do you like me?" and that he told him to his face "I don't trust you", so your entire premise here is bogus.

Don't you think your Sherlock Holmes digs (all of a sudden a new quote every day) is slightly immature for a man in his 50's?

Comment

• Originally posted by RodCrosby View Post

We know that

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. I still don't really understand why Parry would want to stalk Wallace. For instance, what's relevant about his pace of walking? As for the Chess club, which is clearly relevant, how is stalking him any other time other than the evening of the Qualtrough call relevant?

Regarding Parry's other alibis for the night of the murder. Just because they weren't investigated doesn't mean they were disproven.

The blood evidence doesn't entirely exonerate Parry, or even Wallace for that matter. For instance, there was conflicting expert testimony on the important issue of how much blood the perpetrator would have on his person. Dr McFall was equivocal, and William Henry Roberts, the Liverpool City analyst, merely stated "I do not think there would be very much", i.e. on the basis that the assailant was wearing the Macintosh.

In respect of Wallace, his clothes were never forensically tested, nor was he subjected to a strip search. Superintendent Moore said that he examined him pretty well. However,what did this examination consist of?: "...his boots, hands, and the bottom his trousers." Doesn't seem like a particularly thorough search to me. For instance, his bare legs and feet were never inspected, which is highly significant when you consider the police argument concerning Wallace being naked under the Macintosh. Could it be possible that he rubbed off enough blood with a cloth, and maybe cleaning material, to pass Moore's somewhat cursory visual inspection? The same would also apply to Parry. Now I'm not saying I think that's what did happen, only that it can't be entirely discounted.

In respect of Parkes' account, the radio broadcast is interesting. Dolly Atkinson and her son do seem to support him up to a point. However, although both mention the car wash, I don't believe either refer to the more incriminating information-the bloody mitten and iron bar. Moreover, Dolly was attempting to recall a conversation from half a century ago and her son was giving hearsay evidence based on what his father had told him.

The interviewer was also clearly perturbed at their failure to come forward. He does say they would have done so eventually but that doesn't explain why they didn't go public during the trial; after the judge put on his black cap and passed sentence of death; during the period Wallace was considering an appeal; or during the appeals process itself. In fact, it makes you wonder when exactly they were going to jump to Wallace's defence with their vital new evidence.

Why would Parry lose his composure in front of a man like Parkes several hours after the murder took place? And I think it was clearly more than a loss of composure considering he pretty much implicated himself in a murder. And as I noted previously, why didn't Lily or her mother notice anything wrong with his demeanour, especially when you consider he was intimately acquainted with the former? Or why was he able to hold things together in front of his girlfriend for 2 hours, but then totally lose it when speaking to Parkes, "the wimpy garage kid"?

Blank stranger? I seriously doubt it. Wallace himself stated that Julia would only admit a handful of people that she was acquainted with-he even provided the police with a list. And there was no sign of a forced entry or any indication of an altercation, such as defensive wounds or a confrontation heard by the Johnsons.

Parry certainly knew how to be persuasive in respect of the ladies, on account of his undoubted charm, but the men? Leslie Williamson clearly wasn't impressed with him, and neither was Parkes, the "wimpy garage hand". And somehow, I doubt his powers of persuasion would have extended to a total psychopath, capable of bashing in Julia's head, in a frenzied attack, despite the fact that she wouldn't even have been able to recognize him if he was a "blank stranger."

The evidence also suggests Julia was taken completely by surprise, totally oblivious of the imminent danger she was in. Does that sound like someone who had just been forced to admit a dangerous stranger into the house?
          Last edited by John G; 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. I still don't really understand why Parry would want to stalk Wallace. For instance, what's relevant about his pace of walking? As for the Chess club, which is clearly relevant, how is stalking him any other time other than the evening of the Qualtrough call relevant?

Regarding Parry's other alibis for the night of the murder. Just because they weren't investigated doesn't mean they were disproven.

The blood evidence doesn't entirely exonerate Parry, or even Wallace for that matter. For instance, there was conflicting expert testimony on the important issue of how much blood the perpetrator would have on his person. Dr McFall was equivocal, and William Henry Roberts, the Liverpool City analyst, merely stated "I do not think there would be very much", i.e. on the basis that the assailant was wearing the Macintosh.

In respect of Wallace, his clothes were never forensically tested, nor was he subjected to a strip search. Superintendent Moore said that he examined him pretty well. However,what did this examination consist of?: "...his boots, hands, and the bottom his trousers." Doesn't seem like a particularly thorough search to me. For instance, his bare legs and feet were never inspected, which is highly significant when you consider the police argument concerning Wallace being naked under the Macintosh. Could it be possible that he rubbed off enough blood with a cloth, and maybe cleaning material, to pass Moore's somewhat cursory visual inspection? The same would also apply to Parry. Now I'm not saying I think that's what did happen, only that it can't be entirely discounted.

In respect of Parkes' account, the radio broadcast is interesting. Dolly Atkinson and her son do seem to support him up to a point. However, although both mention the car wash, I don't believe either refer to the more incriminating information-the bloody mitten and iron bar. Moreover, Dolly was attempting to recall a conversation from half a century ago and her son was giving hearsay evidence based on what his father had told him.

The interviewer was also clearly perturbed at their failure to come forward. He does say they would have done so eventually but that doesn't explain why they didn't go public during the trial; after the judge put on his black cap and passed sentence of death; during the period Wallace was considering an appeal; or during the appeals process itself. In fact, it makes you wonder when exactly they were going to jump to Wallace's defence with their vital new evidence.

Why would Parry lose his composure in front of a man like Parkes several hours after the murder took place? And I think it was clearly more than a loss of composure considering he pretty much implicated himself in a murder. And as I noted previously, why didn't Lily or her mother notice anything wrong with his demeanour, especially when you consider he was intimately acquainted with the former? Or why was he able to hold things together in front of his girlfriend for 2 hours, but then totally lose it when speaking to Parkes, "the wimpy garage kid"?

Blank stranger? I seriously doubt it. Wallace himself stated that Julia would only admit a handful of people that she was acquainted with-he even provided the police with a list. And there was no sign of a forced entry or any indication of an altercation, such as defensive wounds or a confrontation heard by the Johnsons.

Parry certainly knew how to be persuasive in respect of the ladies, on account of his undoubted charm, but the men? Leslie Williamson clearly wasn't impressed with him, and neither was Parkes, the "wimpy garage hand". And somehow, I doubt his powers of persuasion would have extended to a total psychopath, capable of bashing in Julia's head, in a frenzied attack, despite the fact that she wouldn't even have been able to recognize him if he was a "blank stranger."

The evidence also suggests Julia was taken completely by surprise, totally oblivious of the imminent danger she was in. Does that sound like someone who had just been forced to admit a dangerous stranger into the house?
            Hi John, I agree with most of your points here, particularly the last one.

This is why I keep coming back to Wallace, because who else would "assasinate" Julia other than Wallace himself (or someone working for him).

What do you think?

Comment

• Hypothetically, as a thought experiment, if you knew the following 2 things:

-Wallace was guilty in some capacity (Either as murderer alone or plotter with others)

-Parry made the call

then which of the following 2 scenarios would you consider more likely?

1. Parry made the call as a prank and WHW murdered JW using the opportunity

2. WHW and Parry worked together as part of a murder plot, possibly with a 3rd party as well

My intuition tells me 1 is more likely, but then again 2 resolves the issues with Wallace as the killer (timing, lack of blood etc.), whereas 1 does not.

Comment

• Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
                Hypothetically, as a thought experiment, if you knew the following 2 things:

-Wallace was guilty in some capacity (Either as murderer alone or plotter with others)

-Parry made the call

then which of the following 2 scenarios would you consider more likely?

1. Parry made the call as a prank and WHW murdered JW using the opportunity

2. WHW and Parry worked together as part of a murder plot, possibly with a 3rd party as well

My intuition tells me 1 is more likely, but then again 2 resolves the issues with Wallace as the killer (timing, lack of blood etc.), whereas 1 does not.
                I would say the second option, but I doubt Parry and Wallace would have conspired together in a murder plot.

This would be my scenario. Wallace inveigles Parry into the conspiracy by telling him he plans to steal the insurance money. However, because he's likely to be a suspect himself he needs both an alibi and an alternative suspect. Parry is therefore tricked into playing the role of Qualtrough-Wallace may have substantially exaggerated the amount of insurance money he'd collected that week- but ensures that he that he, too, has plenty of albis for the night on question in case Wallace attempts to double cross him.

Wallace then murders his wife whilst naked under the Macintosh. However, he uses a cloth and some household cleaner to get rid of any blood stains on his face or hand-at least to the extent he'll pass a visual inspection.

After faking the robbery he leaves for the tram, but on his way he secretes the murder weapon and bloodied cloth in a predetermined hiding place on the estate.

On his return home he recovers these items and meets up with Parry, who's expecting to receive his share of the loot. However, Wallace then springs a trap: He gives Parry the stolen money but, in a modified version of Rod's scenario, throws the murder weapon and cloth into Parry's car, which now potentially has incriminating blood stains.

Parry belatedly realises he's been tricked but can hardly go to the police: it would be his word against Wallace's; his car might reveal forensic traces of blood; his previous criminal record would be against him; and there would be a real possibility that he would be eventually arrested for murder, at least under the joint enterprise rule.

He may subsequently have taken his vehicle to Atkinson's garage to get it washed. However, his first instinct would be to get rid of the incriminating evidence as quickly as possible. I therefore don't believe he would turn up at Atkinson's garage over two and half hours later with a mitt converted in blood still in the vehicle: that would be incredibly stupid. Nor do I believe that he would have said anything to Parkes about getting rid of an iron bar, as that would be equally idiotic.

Comment

• I think I may have raised this point before but it's worth repeating. If Wallace was responsible for the murder could he have simply disposed of the murder weapon, and say a rag he used to clean the blood off, by simply placing the items in a neighbour's bin-the Johnstones', for example?

The police stated that they undertook a thorough search of the area, but did this extend to searching the refuge bins of every household on the estate? If so, when did such a detailed search take place? Had the rubbish been collected by then?

Comment

• Blood Stains and Wallace

JOHN G wrote:

John, some good points. WHW's clothes were tested by Benzidine. However, he (his body) was not.

Interesting facts. The nailbrush (which James Murphy makes much of) was taken away by Inspector Gold along with a carpet and towel from the bathroom (and other objects from the house). The carpet, towel and some of the other objects were tested for blood (Benzidine) - the nailbrush was not (it was not even listed in the analyst's report). It was, however, an exhibit at the trial.

The only reference to the drains being tested (Benzidine) comes from Charles St Hill on the radio broadcast, which was picked up by John Gannon. I asked John Gannon whether he had any documentary evidence to support this claim, because I have not found any. It appears there is none.

So, what do you make of this? I have a theory, but I'd been keen to hear your views.
                    Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

• Hi Antony, is there some way I can access the e book?

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
                        JOHN G wrote:

John, some good points. WHW's clothes were tested by Benzidine. However, he (his body) was not.

Interesting facts. The nailbrush (which James Murphy makes much of) was taken away by Inspector Gold along with a carpet and towel from the bathroom (and other objects from the house). The carpet, towel and some of the other objects were tested for blood (Benzidine) - the nailbrush was not (it was not even listed in the analyst's report). It was, however, an exhibit at the trial.

The only reference to the drains being tested (Benzidine) comes from Charles St Hill on the radio broadcast, which was picked up by John Gannon. I asked John Gannon whether he had any documentary evidence to support this claim, because I have not found any. It appears there is none.

So, what do you make of this? I have a theory, but I'd been keen to hear your views.
                        Hi CCJ,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. It's obviously significant that Wallace's clothing were tested for blood- I would have thought that any traces not thoroughly removed from the skin, assuming he was naked under the Macintosh, would seep through to his suit.

Interestingly, in respect of the assailant, a medical expert for the defence opined, "I should say he could hardly escape being spattered and covered with blood all over".

And you do wonder about Dr McFall's competency. For instance, at the trial he admitted to not even taking any notes whilst observing the progress of rigor; the defence expert responded by stating, "I should certainly do so in my case." Neither did McFall bother taking a rectal temperature to help determine the time of death. Again, the defence expert stated that this is something that should have been done.

It does appear that the evidence for the drains being tested is rather weak: I wonder if Charles St Hill was getting mixed up with the drains being examined for the murder weapon.

However, is this significant? Presumably if any blood was washed off in the bath or sink, traces should have been detected by the benzidine test. It would, though, be interesting to see the views of a modern expert on this matter.
                        Last edited by John G; 05-12-2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Hi CCJ,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. It's obviously significant that Wallace's clothing were tested for blood- I would have thought that any traces not thoroughly removed from the skin, assuming he was naked under the Macintosh, would seep through to his suit.

Interestingly, in respect of the assailant, a medical expert for the defence opined, "I should say he could hardly escape being spattered and covered with blood all over".

And you do wonder about Dr McFall's competency. For instance, at the trial he admitted to not even taking any notes whilst observing the progress of rigor; the defence expert responded by stating, "I should certainly do so in my case." Neither did McFall bother taking a rectal temperature to help determine the time of death. Again, the defence expert stated that this is something that should have been done.

It does appear that the evidence for the drains being tested is rather weak: I wonder if Charles St Hill was getting mixed up with the drains being examined for the murder weapon.

However, is this significant? Presumably if any blood was washed off in the bath or sink, traces should have been detected by the benzidine test. It would, though, be interesting to see the views of a modern expert on this matter.
                          John, the point is there is no record in the police reports of the bath or sink or drains being tested using Benzidine. Items taken from the house were tested (except for the nailbrush from the bathroom). Do you see my point? I find it highly odd.
                          Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
                            John, the point is there is no record in the police reports of the bath or sink or drains being tested using Benzidine. Items taken from the house were tested (except for the nailbrush from the bathroom). Do you see my point? I find it highly odd.
                            Hi CCJ,

Yes, this is very odd. I wasn't aware that there was no formal record of the bath, sink or drains being tested. Does this mean we have only anecdotal evidence that the tests were carried out?

Interestingly, in Wyndham-Brown there is a reference to William Roberts, the City of Liverpool Analyst:

"The witness gave further evidence as to various scientific experiments he had made to test the clotting or spreading of blood, with particular reference to the clot found on the rim of the water-closet pan in the bathroom."

However, this is obviously a bit vague, with no specific reference to the type of test carried out or whether the sink, drains or bath were tested.

Comment

• Murphy and the Milk Boy

Hi everyone,

I have just posted on my own forum - at www.ccjforum.com. You can also reach this from my main site - www.coldcasejury.com. I've started two sub-threads - one for the Qualtrough Call and one for The Murder - this is to aid usability. I will add more, suggestions welcome. I see my forum as complementary to this one, focused more on issues raised by my books and research.

The first topic is one that AS has mentioned a few times - about Wallace making up his own schedule and there being no problem with the late arrival of the milk boy on the night of the murder. Murphy raises this point, too, but I think there's a problem.

Comment

• I think Wallace was actually suspiciously late...he was known as punctual...a point Goodman himself raises. As it was, he showed up in the area, just barely on time for a location that he demonstably, by his own actions, was baffled as to exactly where it was.

What explanation is there for the fastidious, finnicky Wallace being so unprepared for a business appointment in both timing and knowing where he was going other than that he knew exactly where he was (and wasn't going) and that, pressingly, he could not act until the milk boy had come and gone?

Would it really be suspicious if Wallace left at, say 6:30, instead of 6:50?

I view the milk boy as more of an obstacle to Wallace than a proof one way or the other in regards to timing.

It is the people who believe Wallace was demonstrably innocent that use this as an element of their argument. (He couldn't have had time, he couldn't have relied on the milk boy being late, if the milk boy came at his regular time it would be suspiciously early etc...)

Interestingly, these same people (thinking of Goodman) have asked if the murderer was Wallace, why couldn't he have committed the crime on the Monday night with the pre made alibi of the chess club (7:45).
                                (The implication being that Monday night would have suited WHW to commit the perfect murder, but not Tuesday, which would have only suited "Qualtrough.") They do not ask any timing questions in regards to a milk boy in this case...

As far as taking a risk, there would always be a risk if WHW was the killer. If he was indeed guilty, he would need the milk boy to come and go before he could act. Perhaps, he wasn't relying on the time factor to show it was impossible he was guilty (again this timing argument is used more by those who believe Wallace was clearly innocent), but rather that he had done a good enough job with the Qualtrough ruse, hoaxing Beattie (more on this in a bit) and minimizing fornesic evidence that he would get off with reasonable doubt.

The circumstancial evidence implicating Wallace in 1 form or another is extremely strong in this case. From the timing on both nights, to Wallace's actions and statements both before and during his search for Menlove Gardens East.

It also depends on the call, and that is my 1 area of concern. The "21st birthday reference" is highly suspicious in regards to Parry. It could be a coincidence, but it belies belief somewhat when you consider Parry actually mentioned that what he was doing was securing an invitation to a 21st birthday. as an alibi (I think for the murder night, but still). I would like to know if Wallace could possibly have known that Parry was going to a 21st birthday or something like that and then used that in his call...probably a stretch though.

How common was 21st bithday policies for children? Is this a plausible coincidence, especially considering Parry was 22 and his girlfriend was 20 (so most of his friends were around that age group)

If Parry made the call, I still don't see the point of luring Wallace out , when he could visit Julia at any time. (Unless you buy Rod's overly complicated theory.) So, that leaves me wondering if it was a prank, part of a conspiracy, or WHW got him to make it under some false pretext etc...

One last point, it's been said that the call was to get WHW out on a Tuesday night, because that's when insurance taking were thought to be the highest.

Using that logic, why couldn't Parry just visit Julia while Wallace was still at work on a Tueday? The sun sets around 4:30 PM in Liverpool in January if that is even a factor.

Comment

Working...
                                X