Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripper Letters, anywhere to read them all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Letters, anywhere to read them all?

Hi all hope it's ok to post.

Currently reading The Diary of Jack the Ripper by Shirley Hanson and it's mentioned that the Dear Boss letter and card provoked around 2000 "Jack the Ripper" letters. I'm not sure how accurate that number is, and i know they are probably all forgeries.

BUT it's got me a little curious and just wondering if there is anywhere i can read these letters? Maybe a website or even a book? I'm sure most have been lost to history but it does note that the collection of letters have been looked at by numerous people.

I know there are a few letters available to read on here but would like to read more of them.

Thanks for any help!

Hi, Avvie.

There is a book about the letters, called Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell.

This is a link to a Worldcat library record:

Here is a link to the title on Amazon (it is available both in print and on Kindle)

Another option is to look in newspaper archives and put in "Jack the Ripper" and "letter/s" and see if you get anything.

I don't know if all letters are archived on the 'Net, but I know the book discusses most of them and reproduces some.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

The letters that still survive are held by the National Archives in Kew. I think there is about 300 of them. I have never seen them all online but you can order copies from the archives if interested.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Letters from Hell is a good start.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I agree Letters from Hell is really good. It has photographs of the letters too so you can see them all.

Comment

Thanks all for your help! Have ordered the book

Comment

I am on the fence re: the authenticity of DEAR BOSS and SAUCY JACKY. My wonder is: WHERE IS THE MJK LETTER?

There were enough hints to make the police consider those letters as coming from the murderer. Two letters within a week show an eagerness, intended or not, to be involved in the case. So I question why there wasnt any braggadocious letter put forth about the most heinous of the murders. I mean, i am certain that there were those false report or joke letters. I am talking about a letter that raised suspicions. A letter that talked a out leaving "a lovely mess", or "she had such lovely singing voice until i took it from her", or anything taking some credit for the murder that (supposedly) ends them all. Not receiving more eager letters around Nov 8 throws shade on the authenticity of DB and SJ.
              there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                I am on the fence re: the authenticity of DEAR BOSS and SAUCY JACKY. My wonder is: WHERE IS THE MJK LETTER?

There were enough hints to make the police consider those letters as coming from the murderer. Two letters within a week show an eagerness, intended or not, to be involved in the case. So I question why there wasnt any braggadocious letter put forth about the most heinous of the murders. I mean, i am certain that there were those false report or joke letters. I am talking about a letter that raised suspicions. A letter that talked a out leaving "a lovely mess", or "she had such lovely singing voice until i took it from her", or anything taking some credit for the murder that (supposedly) ends them all. Not receiving more eager letters around Nov 8 throws shade on the authenticity of DB and SJ.
                There are lots of reasons to wonder about the authenticity of these 2 missives and few to reconcile with a belief that they were from any murderer.

The fact that senior investigators connected these 2 letters by author and suggested a possible author who killed no-one is one reason.

From Hell is the only one with suggestive "meat" on it.

cheers
                Michael Richards

Comment

"Letters from Hell" is an excellent book. Not only are many of the letters reproduced in very clear, colour illustrations but there is also heaps of additional information about them.

Comment

Remember, the Police at the time deliberately destroyed hundreds, if not thousands of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X