Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Seal Chart Murder. (Caroline Luard).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the scene of General Luard's suicide.

PS Sorry folks, but why doesn't the pic actually appear on the posting?
    Attached Files
    'Nothing is obvious'.

Comment

Thanks Granger. Got the frame anyway. It does look like there's some brush along the right-of-way. Not that such would mean anything.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        Thanks Granger. Got the frame anyway. It does look like there's some brush along the right-of-way. Not that such would mean anything.
        Hi Stan: I took this with a camera, from a book, and was quite chuffed with the initial quality. However, to enable me to post it I had to reduce the number of pixels which has blurred the pic. PLEASE, if anyone can give me some advice, in words of one syllable, how to transfers photos direct to the posting without a link, I would be grateful.
        'Nothing is obvious'.

Comment

Granger,

After you load the attachment, go back and click the little paperclip icon AGAIN, then click on the file name, that will imbed the picture in the post rather than it just being attached.

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Ali: Cheersfor your kind help.

Thank's to you, heres the a pic of the railway crossing where General Luard commited suicide.

Taken from 'The Seal Chart Murder', by Monty Parkin.

Can anyone now PM me to explain how to get better quality pics on a posting. Don't quite understand what I have to do, other than reducing pixels, which reduces quality of ex pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luard railway4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	652517
            Last edited by Granger; 02-20-2008, 03:13 PM.
            'Nothing is obvious'.

Comment

Originally posted by Granger View Post
              The loss of the James Hanratty and Julie Wallace archives thread is also devastating. Let's face it it's all a disaster. I do feel so sorry for the moderators. I gather they are optimistic some of the postings may be regained.
              Hi Granger

I agree that the loss of this information is terrible. Let's hope that some of it can be rebuilt!

Comment

Another Railway Suicide in 1911

Hi all,

I recall reading in BOASE'S MODERN ENGLISH BIOGRAPHY an entry about the
                famous (in England) circus impresario "Lord" George Sanger. An English version of P. T. Barnum or the Ringlings, Sanger was murdered by an insane
                acquaintance (I believe his name was Herbert Cooper) with an axe in 1911.
                Another account of the death of Sanger suggests the circus impesario was hit in the head with a candlestick. Cooper apparently felt great remorse, and threw himself in front of a train a few miles away. Maybe he recalled the death of General Luard only three years before.

Jeff

Comment

Hello all,

First time poster here. I obtained the release of the HO docs on the case of J A Dickman about 12 years ago and wrote a long article in the train murder and the unsolved Cohen murder ( I was actually born in the next street to the scene of that one).

It was very interesting to dig out old press photos taken in court during the trial and of the prison which was demolished about 20 years later. Likewise large photos of the search scenes out in the Northumberland countryside......

I had been interested in the Dickman case for years as a classic of circumstancial evidence, having been born in the north east myself. I'd always had the feeling that there was more to be said than the published accounts and that the notion that Dickman was innocent was a little far fetched to say the least, and boy was that feeling right......

To the poster who asked about Dickmans gun - it, like the bulk of the money was never found, but given Dickmans account his movements ( no pun inteneded) he had more than ample opportunity to hide the gun and the cash.

Havent really thought about the case for ages - but found your site via the good ole WWW while looking for info on a german case - must blow the dust off my archives.......

Just skimming through this I see someone beat me to writing a book on the whole saga - seems like an interesting read to say the least! - but never mind, there's always the case of Robert Hoolhouse - just as tantalising in it's own way....

And AFAIK Bernard Taylors account of the Luard case is the best and very very thorough - the book contains other fascinating cases too..

feel free to drop me a line if want to chat about any of this stuff

Comment

I just stumbled across this chat during a Google of John Innes Nisbet. He was my great grandfather. I am currently awaiting a copy of Diane Janes book, Edwardian Murder. Has anyone read it?
                    Thank you
                    Kevin Innes Danby

Comment

Originally posted by KID View Post
                      I just stumbled across this chat during a Google of John Innes Nisbet. He was my great grandfather. I am currently awaiting a copy of Diane Janes book, Edwardian Murder. Has anyone read it?
                      Thank you
                      Kevin Innes Danby
                      I read the book a couple of weeks ago, and can thoroughly recommend it.

I wrote a very long article about the case in 1997 for True Detective magazine using the original Home Office files which I had had released to the public, which threw up lots of fascinating new facts about the case.The story had always interested me - especially as Dickman was suspected of the unsolved murder of a moneylender in the street next to the one in which I was born!

Feel free to email me to chat about the case if you wish : - stevenbroadbent@yahoo.co.uk

Comment

Hi Steven,

Was that True Detective related to the same said magazine we had here in the States? It's been gone for about 10 years I think.

I wrote about the case some for America's Most Wanted News Magazine which is also gone although the TV show is still going strong.

Stan Reid

Comment

the British TD has been going since the fifties I think. I dont believe it is the same as the old US one.

the same people also do True Crime Monthly and Master Detective monthlies as well as summer specials.

I was thinking of wrtiing for Forensic Files and Police cases that came out of Boca Raton , but theyve been closed down for years now....

Comment

As far as I know, the last of our "pulp" detective magazines came out at the end of 1998 with a January 1999 date on the cover. I wish at least one would have stayed in business even though they were a little sleazy. Maybe someone will slicken up the genre and give it another try in the future but I'm not too hopeful. Some of the bondage type covers would have to go.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                            X