The 1961 Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two films from 1961 that stick in my memory:

The Pit And The Pendulum - Vincent Price in what was supposed to be a horror adaptation of the Edgar Allen Poe tale. However, me and my mates guffawed all the way through (as you did in those days) and were eventually ejected towards the end! Bad boys!

A Taste Of Honey - the first 'hot' film I saw, when I was a year or two under the age to get in to an X-film. Good then, but I don't think it's worn too well.

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Just found out that this song was from 1961.

I think this Song by Nancy Kwan from the Movie Flower Drum Song (1961) should be the anthem of any sissies around the world... I just scream feminity, grace ...

Comment

• This one was released in '60 but got to No.1 in 1961

G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Also my daughters favourt movie was released

101 Dalmatians

But then she's had them around her all her life
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Not 1961 but I'm posting it anyway - fantastic song, arrangement and performance :

As I Love You (Musical Recording), Shirley Bassey (Musical Artist)

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
              A Taste Of Honey - the first 'hot' film I saw, when I was a year or two under the age to get in to an X-film. Good then, but I don't think it's worn too well.
              A good British movie which I've seen a few times over the years. "The big ship sails on the alley alley o"

The Beatles recorded a memorable song of the same title in early 1963. Very evocative of an earlier time. It would have made a great single instead of being just an album track. The song, according to Wikipedia, was originally written in 1960 for the Broadway production of the play on which the movie is based.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                This one was released in '60 but got to No.1 in 1961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlPazQMcNW8
                That song is so lovely.

My little Irish grandmother used to sing this song when she did the dishes. She sang it with such heart my mother and I often wondered if she was really thinking of someone from long ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
                  A good British movie which I've seen a few times over the years. "The big ship sails on the alley alley o"

The Beatles recorded a memorable song of the same title in early 1963. Very evocative of an earlier time. It would have made a great single instead of being just an album track. The song, according to Wikipedia, was originally written in 1960 for the Broadway production of the play on which the movie is based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-5hyKaITQ
                  That can be said about so many of their songs, in much of the world Yesterday was :just" a track on an album, but at the time, they were also about value for money and many songs appeared as singles that were on no album, and some of their "B" sides were worthy of a single of their own, OMG Penny Land and Strawberry Fields any other band would have released two No 1 singles, the Beatles make it double sided.
                  G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    That can be said about so many of their songs, in much of the world Yesterday was :just" a track on an album, but at the time, they were also about value for money and many songs appeared as singles that were on no album, and some of their "B" sides were worthy of a single of their own, OMG Penny Land and Strawberry Fields any other band would have released two No 1 singles, the Beatles make it double sided.
                    So right about that!

Comment

• ITV programmes 22-08-1961

At more or less the same moment a gunman entered Michael Gregsten's car, 'Play of the week' was being aired on ITV. Spookily enough the name of the play was "A shred of evidence".
                      Attached Files
                      "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

• Interesting : 12 minutes news and send 'em to bed by 11.30.

Comment

• July 1st 1961

A baby girl was born on this day in 1961. Twenty years later she was to marry a proper Charlie.

Comment

• Eeeehhhhhhhhhrrr....

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
                              A baby girl was born on this day in 1961. Twenty years later she was to marry a proper Charlie.
                              HeHeHe
                              G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                                Interesting : 12 minutes news and send 'em to bed by 11.30.
                                I can remember US celebrities of the time commenting that they'd get back to their hotel rooms after midnight, turn on their TV's hoping to catch a film or show and it would be just a zzz noise, presumably with a test pattern!

Comment

Working...
                                X