Jane Coram's pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Coram's pics

I've had a few people ask me to put my paintings up again, as they disappeared when the site went down a while ago. It's going to take me all night, but here goes.

I am going to try and do some more paintings in the coming few months, so if anyone has anything in particular they would like me to have a go at, please just let me know.

I'll try and put them in some sort of order: So probably Polly and Buck's Row seems like a good place to start.

Hugs

Jane

xxxx
    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

These first few are:

Polly Nichols - painted from her mortuary photo and newspaper sketches and police reports. Probably reasonable likeness, depending on how accurate the newspaper sketch was.

Bucks Row looking down from the Board School - Brown's Stable Yard is about half way down on the right hand side. From photos and newspaper sketches and written descriptions.

Buck's Row looking towards the Board School - the yard is about half way down on the left hand side at the end of the row of cottages. Same as above.

PC Neil finding Polly's body. From newspaper sketches and written descriptions.

Polly Nichols as she was found. Important note: There was no gas lamp as shown in the painting, although a couple of newspaper sketches show one. I just put it there because it looked bloody boring as a painting without it! So take it with a pinch of salt.
    Attached Files
    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Seconds out, round two:

Annie and Hanbury Street.

The first one is obviously Annie, from the photo of her in life, the mortuary photo, newspaper sketches and written descriptions. Probably a bearable likeness, again depending on how good the newspaper sketches were a bit.

The front of Hanbury Street as it would have looked a few years after the murder, when the front had been rebuilt.

The back yard of 29 Hanbury Street with Annie as she was found, from photos and sketches. The size of the gapping in the fence had to be guesswork as descriptions vary considerably, but other than that it's pretty accurate I hope!

A painting of Mrs Long's report of seeing what was probably Annie talking to a stranger outside No. 29, just before she was murdered.

The front of Hanbury Street as it would have looked at the time of the murder, from photos, sketches and written reports. I had to guess at the colour of the paintwork, but black or dark green were favourites at the time, so I just went for dark green.

A painting done to illustrate a great article by Gavin Bromley about Albert Cadosche that he did for Ripperologist
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's Liz and Berner Street.

The first one is obviously Liz.....certainly the best likeness because her mortuary photograph was very good to work from. The newspaper sketches of her were totally horrible and I ignored them completely. She was much prettier than they made her out to be!

The front of the IWEC in Berner Street - day and night.

Dutfield's Yard - day and night. The surface of the yard is guesswork to some extent as the descriptions were a bit contradictory, but basically it was a mixture of bits of rubble, stones and mud.

Painting of Matthew Packer's statement, claiming that Liz and an unidentified man bought some grapes from him on the night she was murdered.

Berner Street as it would have looked on the night of the murder.
        Attached Files

Comment

Berner Street didn't go on for some reason. I'll try again.
          Attached Files

Comment

The following were just me messing about, and I don't know if they are very accurate or not. They could be alright, but I can't remember if I was happy with them or not. You can work it out yourself.

The first one is 'pipeman' , Schwartz, Liz and Broadshoulders. Haven't got a clue if they are all in the right place, but I probably thought they were at the time I did it!

The next one is a painting of the Schwartz incident from another angle.....again, haven't got a clue how accurate it is, but I must have checked it out at the time and thought it was right.....Lol.

xxxxx
            Attached Files

Comment

Kate and Mitre Square

The portrait of Kate was quite interesting for me. I really struggled with her for ages, because there wasn't much to work from. The mortuary photographs were really not that helpful, and the sketches of her didn't feel totally right, so I basically just went with the my gut feeling.

A little while after, I saw the photos of some of Kate's descendant's that Neal Shelden and posted, and I saw one of what I think was Kate's grandaughter and I was very surprised to see that the painting actually did look enough like her to make me think that it probably wasn't too far off what she would have looked like, at least had the general feel of her. Here she is anyway.

The next one is Mitre Square looking towards Mitre Street. The murder spot is on the left hand side in the corner.

The Kealey and Tonge warehouse in the square, with the only free standing gas lamp in front of it. The murder spot is just out of sight on the left.

Church Passage from the Mitre Square End.

Kate as she was found.

Painting of Kate talking to an unknown man on the spot where she was murdered. Might be Jack....but you can decide.......

Painting of Kate talking to an unknown man at the entrance of Church Passage as witnessed by Lawende, Levy and Harris.

xxxx
              Attached Files

Comment

Mary and Miller's Court. I'm going to put these on a couple of posts as there are quite a few of them. Sorry, they've got a bit jumbled up, but I'm sure you can work out which is which.

Mary's portrait of course has to be 90% guesswork, although I did work over the crime scene photograph to get the basic shape, placement of features, (as much as it was possible) and written descriptions. I think the best you can say is that I think it might have captured the general feel of her, but that's about it.

The next one is a painting of Miller's Court looking towards Mary's room and the entrance of the court.

A view of Miller's Court in the day and night, looking from the entrance. Mary's room in on the right hand side.

The pump yard of Miller's Court, day and night.

xxx
                Attached Files

Comment

The first one here is Mary's room as it would have looked at the time of the murder......the painting of the Fisherman's Widow may not be the right version as there were a few candidates for it.

Next is a painting based on Hutchinson's testimony of Mary and Mr Astrakhan

McCarthy and Bowyer discovering Mary's body.

xxxxx
                  Attached Files

Comment

These few are just fun........someone dared me to do them......so take them with a very big pinch of salt. I'm going to put one on a post as the thread is starting to get a bit sluggish.

The next few are my tribute to all the duff Ripper movies.

xxxx
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have got a few more, but I'll have to put them up tomorrow as I'm knackered.

Hugs

Jane

xxx
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Jane!

At last one can see your excellent pictures of the canonical five on these boards again!

I might be absent-minded, but obviously you have done some new ones too!

All the best
                        Jukka
                        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi Jukka,

I've had to get up early because they're coming to fit my stair lift today, (not straight jacket. Lol) So I might as well shove the rest up while I'm waiting.

I'm going to try and start painting a bit more as I've let it slide lately, although in a good cause! I want to try and do one of the interior of Hanbury Street passage when I get a chance, and maybe some of the back yard looking through the back door to start me off.

Lovely to speak to you again anyway,

Much love

Jane

xxxxx

Comment

Haven't got a clue where I was, but if I've forgotten any, I'll stick them up when I remember.

Here are some paintings of suspects......I am definitely going to do a few more of these when I get a chance.

xxxxx

Tumblety

Stephenson, Robert Donston

Joe Barnett

Cream (not so much a suspect as a non suspect)
                            Attached Files

Comment

These are just colourized photos......but I might paint them if I get a chance.

Druitt

Gull

Ostrog
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X