Time Pattern of the Killings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Well, Mary was killed and mutilated after all. Liz is an entirely different matter - she died a death whose characteristics bear close comparison with several other victims in LVP Whitechapel, none of whom are now seriously ascribed to Jack the Ripper.

If there is a common pattern, it's that all the victims - whether Jack's or not - seem to have been relatively "soft targets". Of course, this tells us a lot about the victims, and precious little about the murderers themselves.
    I repeat Sam, what we need to look for are possible Motives, and the ladies I mentioned seem to have fallen prey to someone who picked ripe targets...alone, depleted physically, on the streets, looking to get strangers into dark corners.

In no other Canonical murders do we have that so obviously demonstrated.
    Michael Richards

Comment

the only real time pattern that I see is they occurred on weekends/holidays at night and interestingly either in the beginning or end of the month. which IMHO would beg the question, what line of work would prevent murders in the middle of the week?
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

This alone surely strikes Tumblety and Kosminski from suspicion. Men to whom "working week" hours of business meant nothing?

Comment

We need to be a little careful with time patterns. We have to bear in mind that the "canonical" dates might only reflect those nights on which the killer was successful, not necessarily the only nights on which he was out and about. For all we know, he might have gone prowling most nights, but only "got lucky" once every few weeks, striking only when the conditions suited his purposes.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            We need to be a little careful with time patterns. We have to bear in mind that the "canonical" dates might only reflect those nights on which the killer was successful, not necessarily the only nights on which he was out and about. For all we know, he might have gone prowling most nights, but only "got lucky" once every few weeks, striking only when the conditions suited his purposes.
            But on the other hand, not knowing what specific triggers were active at what specific dates in the reality of the killer makes it meaningless to hypothesize either about non successfull dates or patterns connected to unknown factors.

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
              But on the other hand, not knowing what specific triggers were active at what specific dates in the reality of the killer makes it meaningless to hypothesize either about non successfull dates or patterns connected to unknown factors.
              It's not meaningless at all, unless one wants to believe that he was 100% successful each time his "triggers" kicked in, or that a sure-fire victim just happened to cross his path every time one of his "patterns" demanded it. Hugely unlikely, I'd suggest.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

[QUOTE=Sam Flynn;413126]

It's not meaningless at all, unless one wants to believe that he was 100% successful each time his "triggers" kicked in,
                Stride is the example for the opposite.

or that a sure-fire victim just happened to cross his path every time one of his "patterns" demanded it. Hugely unlikely, I'd suggest.
                Of course, since it was he who crossed their path.

Comment

Could pay day possibly be a factor? Money for drinks (a little French courage if he needed it) and money to buy drinks for women. Also money to show prostitutes if they demanded it up front.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    Could pay day possibly be a factor? Money for drinks (a little French courage if he needed it) and money to buy drinks for women. Also money to show prostitutes if they demanded it up front.
                    I think that's a real possibility, CD, although the concept of "pay day" was a bit of a moveable feast for many of the slum-dwellers.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hello Sam,

Wasn't it generally on Saturday?

c.d.

Comment

Smith - Monday night - Bank holiday
                        Tabram - Monday night - Bank holiday
                        Nichols - Thursday night
                        Chapman - Friday night
                        Double event - Saturday night
                        Kelly - Thursday night / Friday morning - unofficial holiday
                        MacKenzie - Tuesday night
                        Coles - Thursday night

Comment

I personally believe that the person who killed both Polly then Annie was out a lot at night before he ever tried anything. Sizing up what he would need to do or bring, where he would likely find his prey, and around what times were the streets least observed by the general public and night workers. Might have been one himself, and went right on to finish work after Polly.

I believe Opportunity dictated when Polly and Annie would be killed.
                          Michael Richards

Comment

Where was he on Wednesdays'?

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.
                              As cheaply bought as they were, no.

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                                Where was he on Wednesdays'?
                                Ive often asked-where was he in the middle of the month? other than the weekends and holidays, I think this is the next most pertinent question, and may again, have to do with what type of work he did.
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X