This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Rob,

Its Angel Alley, of Pearly Poll fame, not Castle Alley.

Hey Krinoid,

I don't recall the Pedley Street actually being closed. Could you be confusing it with Woods Buildings? If it was closed then I assume it was temporary for the new tube works which were finished a couple of years ago.

Harry,

Swallow gardens is currently being rented out (for a stationary company). It may be worth taking a wander down there Friday evenings as it seems they clean their vehicles at that time and you can get a real good peek inside.

For those who are interested, London Job 2012 is soon to be announced.

Cheers
    Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Thanks Neil. Do you know anything about that abandoned building on Toynbee St? I assume it is scheduled for demolition probably (unfortunately).

Comment

• [QUOTE=Monty;202389]Hey Rob,

Hey Krinoid,

I don't recall the Pedley Street actually being closed. Could you be confusing it with Woods Buildings? If it was closed then I assume it was temporary for the new tube works which were finished a couple of years ago.

No, I am thinking of Pedley Street and there was blog on it on the web saying a ot of it was being removed(maybe just the footbridge and conncection to brick lane)?
        Anyone have current pics of the area? you can't access it on google maps from any direction, I think I took pics of the wrong bridge on Pedley street when a taxi took me.
        Mark

Comment

• Hey Rob,

Not sure. There are plans being put forward for the demolition of Whites Row car park, which is nearby, and a new building going up in place.

Im due that way in a few weeks, I shall have a look for you.

Kinroid,

Taken in October last year.
          Attached Files
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• nice

WOW!! Those pics u guys put up are great! It really makes u feel like ur there while looking at them. Great thread

Comment

• Rope???

I have heard that back then when beds were full they would take a rope and tie it across the middle of the room for more people to sleep on. I was wondering if there are any pictures of this? I just can't picture it in my head, how could someone sleep like that? I've seen the pics of men sleeping in those coffin looking boxes but sleeping on a rope??? Come on, I couldnt think of anything less comfortable. Is that even true?

Comment

• Supposedly so. In common lodging houses the price of a bed was 4d, but the rope option was only 2d. I don't suppose it was the preferred option, but it was at least cheaper.

Rregards, Bridewell.
                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• A liitle OT, but does anyone know why it seems impossible to buy a current map of the East end (whitechapel, wapping etc) on Amazon? I have tried the London A to Z but it cuts out almost all of the East end. From a U.S. Visitor
                  Thanks
                  Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Krinoid View Post
                    A liitle OT, but does anyone know why it seems impossible to buy a current map of the East end (whitechapel, wapping etc) on Amazon? I have tried the London A to Z but it cuts out almost all of the East end. From a U.S. Visitor
                    Thanks
                    Mark
                    Tourist maps only cover central London. This one covers all of London (including the East End) : http://www.amazon.com/London-Street-...7349005&sr=1-3

Comment

• Originally posted by Clifford Coates View Post
                      Tourist maps only cover central London. This one covers all of London (including the East End) : http://www.amazon.com/London-Street-...7349005&sr=1-3
                      I had that one, it did not cover the EE.

Comment

I actually had the superscale version of that book,ar eyou sure the one you mention does have the EE?

Comment

That's very odd. I've got the 5th edition of the A to Z and the superscale version. Both of them cover, not only the EE, but go all the way out to Dagenham. (Has the A to Z scaled back? )

My favourite map book is still Collins London Streetfinder, however mine was published in 2001 and I haven't been able to find a newer edition.

Comment

• Hi RedB
                            Originally posted by RedBundy13 View Post
                            I have heard that back then when beds were full they would take a rope and tie it across the middle of the room for more people to sleep on. I was wondering if there are any pictures of this? I just can't picture it in my head, how could someone sleep like that? I've seen the pics of men sleeping in those coffin looking boxes but sleeping on a rope??? Come on, I couldnt think of anything less comfortable. Is that even true?
                            Sure, hence The Clash's Giv'em enough rope.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedBundy13 View Post
                              In Rumbelow's book complete JTR, page 11, " In some lodging houses there was the compromise of a twopenny rope lean-to; this was a rope stretched across the room for the men to lean on and on which they had to sleep as best as they could!" But I did find this photo, using same idea, from the 30's, but as you see the men are sitting, (sorry it's so large):
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Hello all,

I came across this fascinating thread a while ago and was prompted to do some digging. Since the Ripper case was reported worldwide I had a look at some US newspaper archives since I now live here in California. I came across a few interesting drawings of the people and places of the time so I'm posting them here...apologies if they've already been posted.

Not sure where this first one came from...sorry!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X