No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never cease to be amazed at how you come up with them all.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Think he has a desk calendar
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
        Think he has a desk calendar
        It's actually a sorta calendar I made myself.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 December 24 - In Poland, seventeen-year-old Janina Kozielska is murdered and disemboweled on a train by Lucian Staniak. She is the fifth known murder victim of the serial killer who came to be known as "The Red Spider" due to his writing style. Staniak was eventually captured and sent to an insane asylum.

50 years ago - 1966 December 24 - London gangster Frank Mitchell is gunned down shortly after getting into a van. Reportedly, his body was then wrapped in wire and dumped in the English Channel. It was suspected that his murder was on orders from the Kray Gang although all charged with the killing were found not guilty.

Stan Reid

Comment

• A little off-topic - news of an arrest

A little off-topic as it's not an anniversary, but it is news about a 20 year old mystery that Stan may very well be interested in.

Currently, the lead story on Australia's ABC news website is the arrest of a man in connection with the abduction and murder of three women in 1996-97. All three disappeared from the Perth suburb of Claremont.

If I recall correctly, there were suspicions of a fake taxi being involved as the women had disappeared on their ways home after nights out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qlder View Post
              A little off-topic as it's not an anniversary, but it is news about a 20 year old mystery that Stan may very well be interested in.

Currently, the lead story on Australia's ABC news website is the arrest of a man in connection with the abduction and murder of three women in 1996-97. All three disappeared from the Perth suburb of Claremont.

If I recall correctly, there were suspicions of a fake taxi being involved as the women had disappeared on their ways home after nights out.
              Yes I am interested in that case. It reminds me some of the Bible John Case that will have the 50th anniversary its first murder about a year from now.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Qlder View Post

Hadn't caught that news, interesting.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 December 27 - Mississippi cab driver C. C. Surratt is found dead from a gunshot wound. He's the last of a trio murders by Glenn Nash and Margo Freshwater. The duo also murdered two others in a three state killing spree. Nash was admitted to a mental facility after being found unfit to plead. Freshwater was sent to prison but escaped in 1970 and was not recaptured and sent back until 2002. Both perpetrators have since been released.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 950 years ago - 1066 December 30 - Josepf ibn Naghrela, a Jewish minister in Granada, is crucified by a Muslim mob. The mass then went on to kill as many as 4000 other Jews who lived in the Spanish city.

100 years ago - 1916 December 30 - A band of Russian nobles in Petrograd poison, shoot and kill Grigori Rasputin. The assassins were concerned about the mystic's influence over the royal family

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 December 30 - Thirteen-year-old Vonnie Taysom is stabbed to death in her Shelly, Idaho home this afternoon. Her murder remains unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 January 7 - In a Las Vegas hotel, AWOL occupant Richard Paris intentionally fires a bullet into a bundle of dynamite setting off the high explosive. The insanely jealous murderer wound up killing his bride and himself as well as five other guests at the inn.
                        Last edited by sdreid; 01-04-2017, 01:17 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 January 23 - Sixteen-year-old Melvin Gibbs dies after becoming ill in his Georgia home. Melvin has been poisoned by his mother Janie Lou Gibbs but this will not be realized until she goes on to dispatch another son and a grandson later this year. In 1966, she'd also murdered her only other son and her spouse in the same fashion. The serial killer was eventually convicted and sentenced to five consecutive life terms but was set free in 1999. Her surface motives were to gain from inheritance and insurance but there were probably some additional psychological reasons. Mrs. Gibbs died in 2010.
                          Last edited by sdreid; 01-20-2017, 03:06 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 January 31 - In Poland, eighteen-year-old Bozhena Raczkiewicz is stabbed to death by Lucian Staniak. She is the sixth and last known murder victim of the serial killer who came to be known as "The Red Spider" due to his writing style. Staniak was eventually captured and sent to an insane asylum.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1967 February 9 - Mary Ellen Kaldenberg, 17, disappears on a walk this evening to a local Kenosha, Wisconsin drug store. After several days, her body will be found in the back of a derelict hearse in an auto impound lot. She had been stabbed multiple times. Miss Kaldenberg's murder is still unsolved today.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 450 year ago - 1567 February 10 - In Edinburgh, the bodies of Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley and King Consort of Mary Queen of Scots, and his valet, William Taylor, are found outside their living quarters that have just been rocked by two explosions. It was never determined if they were killed by the detonations or were murdered by other means while attempting to escape the blasts. It was suspected that the killings were a plot by nobles with the possible compliance of the Queen. Mary and James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, were tried for the murders but were not convicted. An almost certainly innocent soldier, named William Blackadder, was convicted for the killings in a show trial and executed. The Queen was later executed for treason in an unrelated proceeding.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X