View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
As is the idea that even a moderately educated man would say that he "frequented" a pub on a given day, when what he did was "popped into" the pub. To frequent something refers to a pattern of behaviour over time (the clue is in the word), not to a single visit. Nobody ever said, "I think I'll frequent the pub this evening" ; this is yet another example of someone of limited education trying to use a grandiose word in order to give the impression of "oldspeak" and failing miserably.
Yes Sam, and as I've said before this is what alerted me the very first time I read a transcript. It doesn't (to me, at any rate) smack of someone writing 'off the cuff', so to speak, in a fluent, easy manner. I've also said before that I have old hand-written family documents from the second half of the 19th century, and the vast majority are fluent, easy reading, if a little formal in comparison with modern speech and writing patterns. In my experience you'll find High Victorian formal English in serious literarature and official works (for example). But some people see no problem with the Diary's style, and so be it.

While I'm here the phrase that always gave me pause for thought is "Tin Matchbox Empty". Any ideas, anyone?

Graham