Ground floor, No. 40, Berner Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground floor, No. 40, Berner Street

You open the front door of No. 40 off Berner Street, "home of the International Working Men's Education Club". Entering the residence, you are standing at the beginning of a narrow hallway that runs the entire length of the ground floor.

...on your left is a wall. on the other side of that wall is the passage leading into the yard.
    ...on your right is another wall. in this wall is a door or an opening which leads into the dining room, whose only remarkable feature is a window overlooking Berner Street.

You continue on down the hallway until you reach the midpoint.

...on your left is still the same wall. and on the other side of the wall is still the passage (or the yard).
    ...on your right is a staircase. maybe it has a direct flight or maybe it turns as it rises to the first floor.

You continue until you have reached the very end of the long, narrow hallway.

...on your left is a door with a rectangular window above. the window lets the sunlight into that end of the hall, and the door opens out to the yard.
    ...on your right is another door with a similar rectangular window above. this door opens to the kitchen.

In the available drawing of the yard, the first door on the right (after the closets) opens into the narrow hallway. The kitchen door is behind that 'yard door'. The window next in the picture is in the composing room, and the editor,s room might be upstairs.
    This design is how i have the inside of mccarthy's too. Where i have the kitchen IS where Mary Kelly's room would be, and the dining room would be the shed. the 'yard door' would be near similar to where the door to No. 13 was. The staircase would have a wall before and after, separating it from Mary Kelly's room and the shed; and, making it necessary to cut out that other passageway door.
    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
    You open the front door of No. 40 off Berner Street, "home of the International Working Men's Education Club". Entering the residence, you are standing at the beginning of a narrow hallway that runs the entire length of the ground floor.

...on your left is a wall. on the other side of that wall is the passage leading into the yard.
    ...on your right is another wall. in this wall is a door or an opening which leads into the dining room, whose only remarkable feature is a window overlooking Berner Street.

You continue on down the hallway until you reach the midpoint.

...on your left is still the same wall. and on the other side of the wall is still the passage (or the yard).
    ...on your right is a staircase. maybe it has a direct flight or maybe it turns as it rises to the first floor.

You continue until you have reached the very end of the long, narrow hallway.

...on your left is a door with a rectangular window above. the window lets the sunlight into that end of the hall, and the door opens out to the yard.
    ...on your right is another door with a similar rectangular window above. this door opens to the kitchen.

In the available drawing of the yard, the first door on the right (after the closets) opens into the narrow hallway. The kitchen door is behind that 'yard door'. The window next in the picture is in the composing room, and the editor,s room might be upstairs.
    This design is how i have the inside of mccarthy's too. Where i have the kitchen IS where Mary Kelly's room would be, and the dining room would be the shed. the 'yard door' would be near similar to where the door to No. 13 was. The staircase would have a wall before and after, separating it from Mary Kelly's room and the shed; and, making it necessary to cut out that other passageway door.
    The part in bold is I think in line with my opinion as to room 13. The fireplace was likely the cooking hearth, which explains the wrought iron swing seen in some images, used to swing pots over and off the fire.
    Michael Richards

Comment

I was trying to make left or right out of the layout that William West gave at the inquest [Times, 2 Oct] to better understand the club member's movements. When he said that there was a staircase at the middle of the passage, I thought "...that's how i have the inside of 26 Dorset" . I had always presumed that side 'yard door' in No. 40 Berner Street led directly into the kitchen.
      I agree: "The fireplace was likely the cooking hearth, which explains the wrought iron swing seen in some images, used to swing pots over and off the fire." MWR

Wasn't there someone in the kitchen on the night of Elizabeth's murder?
      Attached Files
      there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
        Wasn't there someone in the kitchen on the night of Elizabeth's murder?
        Yes, according to Fanny Mortimer;

"It was almost incredible to me that the thing could have been done without the steward's wife hearing a noise, for she was sitting in the kitchen from which a window opens four yards from the spot where the woman was found."

There's probably a bit of dramatic licence used here; Louis says he found his wife in the front room whe he came in, the side door was said to be 6-7 yards from the body, and the window was probably the two fanlights over the side and kitchen doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          Yes, according to Fanny Mortimer;

"It was almost incredible to me that the thing could have been done without the steward's wife hearing a noise, for she was sitting in the kitchen from which a window opens four yards from the spot where the woman was found."
          Did Mrs Mortimer have personal knowledge that this was Mrs Diemschutz's location - or was she relying on the testimony of others?
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            Did Mrs Mortimer have personal knowledge that this was Mrs Diemschutz's location - or was she relying on the testimony of others?
            If Fanny was in the yard when the police arrived, she would have been cooped up with the club members for a few hours, so I suspect she got the details from talking to people there (possibly from Mr & Mrs D themselves). Their stories do share similarities, such as the grapes in Liz's hand. It's entirely possible Louis' wife had only just left the kitchen when he arrived home. I like to imagine her pouring cups of tea and handing out sandwiches.

Comment

Working...
            X