Oh, murder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
    Just because the cry was heard (faintly) by people in the Court does not mean it originated in the Court.
    Prater's description of the sound coming from the Court makes perfect sense if - as I'm personally certain - Prater's room overlooked Dorset Street; from that vantage point, any sound emanating from Kelly's room would come from the direction of Miller's Court itself. Most of "Miller's Court" was, don't forget, at the back of number 26/27 Dorset Street.

And, for what it may be worth, the little courtyard at the back of 26/27 Dorset Street was overlooked by Kelly's room, with its broken window; any scream leaking through that broken pane might indeed appear to come "from the Court", even if there were nobody physically in the Court to produce it.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Prater's description of the sound coming from the Court makes perfect sense if - as I'm personally certain - Prater's room overlooked Dorset Street; from that vantage point, any sound emanating from Kelly's room would come from the direction of Miller's Court itself. Most of "Miller's Court" was, don't forget, at the back of number 26/27 Dorset Street.

And, for what it may be worth, the little courtyard at the back of 26/27 Dorset Street was overlooked by Kelly's room, with its broken window; any scream leaking through that broken pane might indeed appear to come "from the Court", even if there were nobody physically in the Court to produce it.
      Hey Sam,

The sound would also sound like it was from the court if it actually came from the court....Sarah Lewis's statement lends credence to that.

Which raises my idea that Mary made the cry while at her open door..that would explain both Prater and Lewis's guess on the location.
      Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
        Which raises my idea that Mary made the cry while at her open door..that would explain both Prater and Lewis's guess on the location.
        Indeed, Mike. Open door/broken window - either way, the sound is leaking out into "Miller's Court", and would seem to come from the direction of the courtyard.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          Indeed, Mike. Open door/broken window - either way, the sound is leaking out into "Miller's Court", and would seem to come from the direction of the courtyard.
          The reason I put less credence on the broken pane as the conduit that lets the voice escape Sam is because of the pilot coat, and the muslin curtains. There were items over that hole, (the hole near the bottom right as you look at it from the alcove), and might well muffle sounds from inside. Sarah seemed to indicate that the voice was clear enough, and also close.
          Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
            The reason I put less credence on the broken pane as the conduit that lets the voice escape Sam is because of the pilot coat, and the muslin curtains.
            True enough, Mike - although, even with the coat there, I doubt that those windows were the most soundproof in the world. Or the door, for that matter, irrespective of whether it were open or shut.
            Sarah seemed to indicate that the voice was clear enough, and also close.
            Quite so, but Sarah was only a handful of metres away, as the insomniac crow flies, and I doubt that her windows were much more soundproofed than Kelly's.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

PIERRE.

GAROTT. The ecchymosis on her neck is an indication of strangulation with a ligature (red handkerchief?). That type of briising would not have shown up after her death. The fact that the cut was made across the ecchy-bruising supports another poster's (wickerman?) assertion that the killer cut across the ligature furrow. I believe she was garotted which fits Jack the Rippers MO.

FISH AND CHIPS. I dont know how much this would have cost. I know much wasmade of MAry's desperate situation, mentioned that she wouldnt have gone out if she wasnt starving. Fish and potatoes have a digestion time of one hour. So partially digested f&p means she ate within an bour of her death. McCqrhtys chandler shop, maybe?

POSSIBILITIES. I want to move away from possibilities and towards probabilities. However i cant deny that they 'pop up'. Ive considered the following alternatives: 1) somebody walked in and found the body, and left without reporting it ("oh murder!")., or 2) this was part of the killers MO. It was a way of alerting attention to the murder or timestamping it, like the Tabram murder. There is some mention that the killer may have had a different sounding voice. So... this could have been said by the killer as he was leaving.
              there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

I have always had the opinion that the cry heard was Kelly crying out ''Oh Murder'', not because of being actually attacked, but awakening suddenly from a nightmare.
                Mrs Prater remarked at the inquest,,''Like awakening from a nightmare'', when asked to describe the cry she heard..
                And Lottie around 3 years after, told Kit Watkins a Canadian reporter,that the Kelly woman had told her, that sometime in October she had a nightmare that someone was murdering her.
                As the cry ''Oh murder '' was uttered,,the wording could suggest, that she had a recurrence of that dream...
                I do not believe Mary was killed until daylight.
                Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                  FISH AND CHIPS.... McCarthy's chandler shop, maybe?
                  Not sure McCarthy sold fish and chips, but there was certainly a shop in nearby Thrawl Street which sold fish and chips until at least 2AM. We know this from the testimony of Mrs Elizabeth Mahoney at the Tabram inquest.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

PIERRE.

POSSIBILITIES. I want to move away from possibilities and towards probabilities. However i cant deny that they 'pop up'. Ive considered the following alternatives:

1) somebody walked in and found the body, and left without reporting it ("oh murder!")., or

2) this was part of the killers MO. It was a way of alerting attention to the murder or timestamping it, like the Tabram murder. There is some mention that the killer may have had a different sounding voice. So... this could have been said by the killer as he was leaving.
                    Interesting. And if you were to compare these two scenarios from the point of view of the possibility and the probability respectively, at what conclusions could one reach?

Regards Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                      Hi,

What happened between 1.30 and 3.30/3.45 in Kelly´s room?

Why did Prater hear "Oh, murder!"?

"I left the room on the Thursday at five p.m., and returned to it at about one a.m. on Friday morning. I stood at the corner until about twenty minutes past one. No one spoke to me. McCarthy's shop was open, and I called in, and then went to my room. I should have seen a glimmer of light in going up the stairs if there had been a light in deceased's room, but I noticed none. The partition was so thin I could have heard Kelly walk about in the room. I went to bed at half-past one and barricaded the door with two tables. I fell asleep directly and slept soundly. A kitten disturbed me about half-past three o'clock or a quarter to four. As I was turning round I heard a suppressed cry of "Oh - murder!" in a faint voice. "

Regards Pierre
                      Hi Pierre
                      Kelly was sleeping after having entertained her last customer for the Night.

Because Kelly was being murdered in the room below and it was her muffled last words that Prater and others heard.

The much more interesting trivia about Prater's witness statement is why she was NOT asked by the coroner whether she saw any light coming from Kelly's room after 5 am when she claimed to have gone to the pub for another round. Because such a big fire would have burned for more than an hour.

Why did the man loitering in front of Miller's court not enter her room before 2.30?

Cheers
                      IchabodCrane

Comment

GAROTT. The ecchymosis on her neck is an indication of strangulation with a ligature (red handkerchief?).
                        Ecchymosis is not a specific indicator of strangulation with a ligature - or of strangulation with anything, for that matter. Ecchymosis, being the leakage of blood into the skin, can be a feature of many types of injury, including punches, pinches, cuts and stab wounds.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by IchabodCrane View Post
                          Hi Pierre
                          Kelly was sleeping after having entertained her last customer for the Night.

Because Kelly was being murdered in the room below and it was her muffled last words that Prater and others heard.

The much more interesting trivia about Prater's witness statement is why she was NOT asked by the coroner whether she saw any light coming from Kelly's room after 5 am when she claimed to have gone to the pub for another round. Because such a big fire would have burned for more than an hour.

Why did the man loitering in front of Miller's court not enter her room before 2.30?

Cheers
                          IchabodCrane
                          because he was waiting for Blotchy to leave
                          "Is all that we see or seem
                          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            because he was waiting for Blotchy to leave
                            Hi,
                            Was blotchy sticking around in the dark then because we heard from Prater that there was no light?
                            Cheers
                            IchabodCrane

Comment

Originally posted by IchabodCrane View Post

Cheers
                              IchabodCrane
                              Hi,

So they did not believe there could have been a fire in the room at that time.

Regards Pierre

Comment

The fire was lit in the morning, to boil water, but Kelly was killed before the kettle could be taken off, her boots were near the fire, as she had ventured out in the morning drizzle, I maintain she was killed by the middle aged market porter she was seen talking to around 845 am.[ By Maxwell]...she ventured back to her room. her client, followed on a few minutes later, he entered her room. she was stripped down to her chemise, and the rest is history..
                                Regards Richard.
                                This is all speculation, but as Pierre says,some alteration of data, has an alternative view.

Comment

Working...
                                X