• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    for me favorites in order:

MMA-UFC
    Pro Football-NFL
    College Basketball
    college Lacrosse-now theres an American original sport!
    College football
    World cup soccer
    Olympics

I love baseball, but mainly when I'm at the park enjoying a cold one on a hot day!!!

Hockey-but only when the caps finally don't choke and make it deep into the playoffs. Hockey is probably the most intense game out there-especially live. Its like freaken Rollerball watching it live(if you've ever seen the movie with James Cahn-youll know what I mean!)
    Game? This wasn't meant to be a game. NEVER.!!!! ( I love Rollerball!!!)

My Sports in order are

Boxing (spent a good part of my life working in boxing one way or another)
    Baseball
    Aussie Rules Football
    College Basketball
    NFL Football
    Hockey (use to be my #2..but the game has changed way to much in the last 15 years)
    then a mix of Olympic events ( summer more so than winter)

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
      Game? This wasn't meant to be a game. NEVER.!!!! ( I love Rollerball!!!)

My Sports in order are

Boxing (spent a good part of my life working in boxing one way or another)
      Baseball
      Aussie Rules Football
      College Basketball
      NFL Football
      Hockey (use to be my #2..but the game has changed way to much in the last 15 years)
      then a mix of Olympic events ( summer more so than winter)

Steadmund Brand
      IMHO Rollerball was the best of the dystopian future/apocalyptic movie genre(soylent Green, Omega man, logans run etc.) of the seventies.

Question:
      What do the call it in Australia? surely not Australian rules football?
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Actually they do.. it is the AFL Australian Football League.. or just Footy.. I am the biggest Footy fan in America... just don't ask GUT... he like to make fun of my team GO BRISBANE LIONS!!!

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• My favorites in order:

Baseball (played from the time I was four until I was forty four, coaching now)
          Boxing (boxed in my youth, wife won't let me get back into it)
          NFL (but I'll never go to pro game. rather watch on TV to avoid the human degradation the games have become)
          College Basketball (tourney is my favorite annual sports event, I think)
          College Football
          Olympic Weightlifting (snatch, clean and jerk - competed in the sport from my late twenties to mid-thirties, love it....i'll watch when it's on)
          Women's volleyball (I have my reasons)

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
            My favorites in order:

Baseball (played from the time I was four until I was forty four, coaching now)
            Boxing (boxed in my youth, wife won't let me get back into it)
            NFL (but I'll never go to pro game. rather watch on TV to avoid the human degradation the games have become)
            College Basketball (tourney is my favorite annual sports event, I think)
            College Football
            Olympic Weightlifting (snatch, clean and jerk - competed in the sport from my late twenties to mid-thirties, love it....i'll watch when it's on)
            Women's volleyball (I have my reasons)
            did you see that American Brian Shaw won his fourth WSM competition?
            What a beast-and he played college Basketball!?!
            Hes chasing Mariusz Pudzianowski who has five titles. Pudzian has my total respect as he also competes and is pretty successful at MMA, my favorite sport.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Brian Shaw is good.... as was Mariusz Pudzianowski, Bill Kazmaier and Zydrunas Savickas ( Ok I admit I had to look up the spelling on his name) but nobody....NOBODY was Magnus Ver Magnusson!!!! I know he only won 4, not 5 like Pudzianowski but he was the best... just a beast

Steadmund Brand

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                I am a baseball junky, but I believe if you don't grow up with it, you will never be a fan, it isn't a sport you pick up on later....to an outsider it moves to slow and it is VERY confusing (so many rules and little things that dont make sense to people who don't know the game)
                Soccer (football) is getting Huge in the states, where I live we have 2 soccer bars (that are always packed) and even yesterday, I stopped in my cigar lounge for a smoke and to watch the Yankees game....and they put baseball on the small TV and the main TV was soccer....and that was what more people were watching...the NHL playoffs didn't even get put on....was so weird....things have changed fast....I personally find soccer quite boring (overall) but LOVE watching highlights.....the flopping just ruins it for me.
                Darts is great to watch....so fast and sucks ya right in 180!!!!!..same thing with bowling (don't laugh) you happen to flip on and see someone with several strikes in a row you get drawn in....until you realize you are watching bowling hahaha.

Steadmund Brand
                I've watched a bit of it, but ???????
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

IMHO Rollerball was the best of the dystopian future/apocalyptic movie genre(soylent Green, Omega man, logans run etc.) of the seventies.

Question:
                  What do the call it in Australia? surely not Australian rules football?
                  Steady is right,

Aussie rules
                  Footy (but that applies to about four codes)
                  Rules

Or

Aerial Ping Pong, for those from Non Australian Rules areas.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• For me

Rugby League (first last and always)

Aussie Rules (not this year though the way the Blues are going)
                    And
                    Rugby Union

Sailing, most of the family love being out on the lake.

Not a fan of any of the "bat" sports, doesn't mean I won't watch them.

Used to follow boxing closely, but unfortunately it doesn't get much coverage here now.

Played Soccer, but don't enjoy watching it.

Don't mind watching American Football (Gridiron they call it here) played a bit when I was younger, but too slow and you only get to play like half the game.
                    G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Steady is right,

Aussie rules
                      Rules

Or

Thanks Gut
                      but then what do you Aussies call soccer?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Thanks Gut
                        but then what do you Aussies call soccer?
                        The official name is Football, but most people I know call it Soccer.

It's fair to say you'll hear almost every code called footy, or football, by someone. We have four principal codes here

Soccer
                        Australian Rules
                        Rugby Union
                        Rugby League

Which dominates probably depends on where you are and/or socioeconomic status.

League is pretty much Queensland and N.S.W.

Except for in University educated groups where Union is likely to dominate.

Aussie rules dominates everywhere else.

Soccer has its ups and downs, in fact a few years back they switched to playing in Summer to try and avoid conflict with the other codes.
                        G U T

Comment

• On Saturday we have a game between:

New York City Football Club v's Columbus Crew Soccer Club.

Go figure...
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Steady is right,

Aussie rules
                            Rules

Or

Codes?
                            You seem to be calling four different sports, codes?
                            You've peaked my interest - what does "codes" mean in this context?
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                              Codes?
                              You seem to be calling four different sports, codes?
                              You've peaked my interest - what does "codes" mean in this context?
                              Simply that they are all different versions of football.
                              G U T

Comment

The official name is Football, but most people I know call it Soccer.

It's fair to say you'll hear almost every code called footy, or football, by someone. We have four principal codes here

Soccer
                                Australian Rules
                                Rugby Union
                                Rugby League

Which dominates probably depends on where you are and/or socioeconomic status.

League is pretty much Queensland and N.S.W.

Except for in University educated groups where Union is likely to dominate.

Aussie rules dominates everywhere else.

Soccer has its ups and downs, in fact a few years back they switched to playing in Summer to try and avoid conflict with the other codes.
                                I thought we were the only ones to call it soccer. Don't they call in football in England?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X