No announcement yet.

My theory on Kosminski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Karsten that is right about the family relationship of Aaron Kozminski and Jacob Cohen. I have discovered lots of relations inter-marrying. This is why I like to dig into relations and where they might have lived.

Another Annie Lachman who married a Soloman Lewis lived in 5a Black Lion Yard and he was a shoemakers finisher. Brother and sister to Hyman and Nelly Lewis. All born Kolo.

Regarding the attack on Sister and in the Asylum; If someone is mentally ill I dont think one knows if the attack would be carried out, but could well do. I dont think one can say they would or not but the threat is definitely there. In an Asylum there would have been restraint procedures in place. The family must have been worried about the attack on sister to commit him.

The police might have well suspected Kosminski but as Henry Cox said "One would have to catch him in the act of Murder"

Pat.......

Comment

• I think Isaac Abrahams wife Bertha? is interesting because with her first few children, they had mothers maiden name of Cohen and later the mothers name changed to Levy.
      Cant find Isaacs marriage either...

Pat........

Comment

• Originally posted by Pontius2000 View Post
        There’s no “proving” any suspect is JTR at this point. My comments is about the “weak suspect” comment.

Kosminski was:
        1. Violent to some extent
        2. Mentally ill
        3. Lived in the immediate area
        4. Suspected by several top police officials

That actually makes him a very strong suspect, certainly not a weak one. The fact that the police didn’t catch him red handed, which is pretty much what it would have taken before even fingerprint evidence, that still doesn’t mean they didn’t have a pretty good idea about who the killer was
        Very strong suspect compared to who?

Comment

• It needs to be stated that the Kosminski being talked about on this thread might not actually be the Kosminski the contemporary police suspected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I think Isaac Abrahams wife Bertha? is interesting because with her first few children, they had mothers maiden name of Cohen and later the mothers name changed to Levy.
            Cant find Isaacs marriage either...
            Hi Pat!

Yes, it would be nice more to know about Bertha Cohen.

Soloman & Annie Lewis, nee Lachman, Shoemaker, 5a Black Lion Yard from Kolo

From my older notes (maybe I have already mentioned it earlier)

1891 Moritz & Nahra Steinkel, Barber, 4 Black Lion Yard from Klodawa (Birthplace of Aaron Kozminski)

1891 Morris & Jane Frankel, Tailor, 11 Black Lion Yard from Fllodawa (Klodawa)

1891 Betsy Frankel, 10 Tewkesbury Buildings, Whitechapel from Koulish (Kalisz)

Were the Cohen/ Kozminkis also related to the Steinkel and Frankel? The names of Lachman (n), Blechert, Frankel and Steinkel sound German.

A while ago I found (Old Bailey 1913) a Louis Frankel, Butcher at 58 Aldgate High Street/ Butchers Row (in 1888 George Bullas was the tenant) and at 1 The Shambles. But I found no connection to the Frankel from Klodawa/ Kalish.

Perhaps you may find some more about these people.

Have a nice weekend,

Karsten.

Comment

• Sims:

The first man was a Polish Jew... The policeman who got a glimpse of Jack in Mitre Court said, when some time afterwards he saw the Pole, that he was the height and build of the man he had seen on the night of the murder...

The second man was a Russian doctor...

They were both alive long after the horrors had ceased, and though both were in an asylum, there had been a considerable time after the cessation of the Ripper crimes during which they were at liberty and passing about among their fellow men.

I think it is clear, Sims talked about Kosminski and Ostrog. I am interested in David Cohen as the "Kosminski" suspect but David Cohen was not released. He already died on 15 October 1889.

Regarding Colney Hatch, besides David Cohen and Aaron Kozminski I can´t see another candidate for Kosminski.

Between Macnaghten´s about March 1889 and Aaron Kozminski´s admission to Colney Hatch in February 1891 was enough time for at liberty and passing about among his fellow men.

Of course, Swanson´s died shortly afterwards is another story...

Comment

• Of course, Swanson´s died shortly afterwards is another story...
                I find it interesting that Kosminski was moved from Colney Hatch to Leavesden in 1894 and a year later Swanson believes him to be dead. In the Colney Hatch records - Date of discharge, removal or Death 19.4.94. could there have been a bureaucratic **** up and somebody told the police that Kosminski was now dead, if say there was just a cursory check up, or maybe when he was taken to Leavesden the family bribed an official to tell the police that

Comment

• I can well imagine that the police (Anderson) did communicate to Colney Hatch in the following months after Kosminski´s addmission.

It might be possible that Kosminski fell into a serious crisis during the first months in Colney Hatch. But there were no records between April 1891 and January 1892 if I am right.

If Kosminski had been seriously ill during this time, in critical condition, Anderson would have known about it. Who knows, perhaps the doctors thought he would die... but Kosminski was lucky and survived this condition...? At this point, would a man like Anderson stop to make further inquiries?

Macnaghten 1894: He was (and I believe still is) detained in a lunatic asylum about March 1889

One can get the impression that the Kosminski file was "closed" after he was removed to an asylum about March 1889, and that the Seaside Home ID took place later, rather "off the record".

Maybe Macnaghten thought that Kosminski was an in&out patient of the same asylum he was detained about March 1889, and still alive in 1894. Maybe Anderson thought Kosminski is now dead and Swanson believed him and told the Pall Mall Gazette 1895 his core belief:

Mr Swanson believed the crimes to be the work of a man who is now dead.

Who knows... I have to guess... nothing more than speculation

Comment

• Yes, it is interesting that a senior officer, Macnaghten believed Kosminski to be alive in 1894, but a year later another senior officer, Swanson believed him to be dead. I assume that Swanson would know, and possibly have read the Mac Memorandum, so what could have happened to make him think differently ?

Comment

• This "(and I believe still is)" was from the Aberconway version, not the official version of the memorandum. Did he change his mind after new informations (Swanson)?

I´m not sure when Sims wrote: They were both alive long after the horrors had ceased. 1907? It could imply that Sims thought, both, Kosminski and Ostrog, were already dead in 1907. I think Sims had received certain information from Macnaghten (and Anderson?) and that Macnaghten told him (1894) Kosminski is now dead. Unaware of Swanson´s died shortly afterwards in 1891.

I'm sure I don't know...

Have a nice weekend.

Comment

• Betsy Abrahams, sister of Jacob Cohen:

Pat wrote:

“It seems to me that when Jacob Cohen took Aaron Kozminski to the Infirmary and declared he thought him to be insane because he attacked his sister, he was talking about his own sister Betsy who was married to Aarons brother Woolf.”

Beforehand, what I write now is more a story than facts. But maybe there also is some truth in that. If Aaron Kozminski and “Kosminski” were the same men, we have to fill the gaps.

Crawford Letter, date unknown

2 CAVENDISH SQUARE
                        W.

My dear Anderson,

I send you this line to ask you to see & hear the bearer, whose name is unknown to me. She has or thinks she has a knowledge of the author of the Whitechapel murders. The author is supposed to be nearly related to her, & she is in great fear lest any suspicions should attach to her & place her & her family in peril.

I have advised her to place the whole story before you, without giving you any names, so that you may form an opinion as to its being worth while to investigate.

Very sincerely yours,
                        Crawford

The Star, 12 October, 1888.

A Suspicious Infirmary Patient.

A report was current late last night that the police suspect a man who is at present a patient in an East-end infirmary. He has been admitted since the commission of the last murder. Owing to his suspicious behavior their attention was directed to him. Detectives are making inquiries, and he is kept under surveillance.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph 12 October, 1888

... The police now have under close observation in connection with the Whitechapel murder a man now inmate of the East End infirmary who was admitted since the murder under suspicious circumstances.

Hampshire Advertiser, 13 October, 1888

A report was current late last night that the police have good reasons to suspect a man who is at present a patient in an East End Infirmary. He was admitted since the commission of the last murder, and owing to his suspicious behaviour and other circumstances the attention of the authorities was directed to him. Detectives are making inquiries relative to his actions before being admitted to the infirmary, and he is kept under constant and close surveillance.

Daily News, 18 October 1888

“From more than one source the police authorities have, it is said, received information tending to show that the East-end murderer is a foreigner who was known as having lived within a radius of a few hundred yards from the scene of the Berner-street tragedy. The very place where he lodges is asserted to be within official cognizance. If the man be the real culprit, he lived some time ago with a woman, by whom he has been accused. Her statements are, it is stated, now being inquired into. In the meantime the suspected assassin is "shadowed." Incriminating evidence of a certain character has already been obtained, and, should implicit credence be placed upon the story of the woman already referred to, whose name will not transpire under any circumstances until after his guilt is prima facie established, a confession of the crimes may, it is said, be looked for at any moment. The accused is himself aware, it is believed, of the suspicions entertained against him. With regard to the statements current as to finding a blood-stained shirt at a lodging-house in Whitechapel, it appears the story is founded on some matters which occurred more than a fortnight ago. A man, apparently a foreigner, visited the house of a German laundress, at 22, Batty-street, and left four shirts, tied in a bundle, to be washed. The bundle was not opened at the time, but when the shirts were afterwards taken out one was found considerably blood-stained. The woman communicated with the police, who placed the house under observation, detectives at the same time being lodged there to arrest the man should he return. This he did last Saturday, and was taken to the Leman-street Police-station, where he was questioned, and within an hour or two released, his statement being proved correct”.

Aftonbladet (Sweden), October 26th, 1888

“The murderer of Whitechapel has as yet managed to avoid detection. It is said that the prime suspect is now a foreigner who was living not far from Berner St when the murders took place. He has been reported to the police by a woman who he has been living with and is at present under close surveillance”.

The Bristol Mercury, 29 December 1888

"The Dublin Express London correspondent on Thursday gave as the latest police theory concerning the Whitechapel murderer, that he has fallen under the strong suspicion of his near relatives, who to avert a terribly family disgrace, may have placed him out of harm's way in safe keeping. As showing that there is a certain amount of credence attached to this story, detectives have recently visited all the registered private lunatic asylums, and made full inquiries as to the inmates recently admitted."

South Eastern Gazette, 8. Februar 1890:

The Whitechapel Murders

The Dublin Express London correspondent says:

A patient was recently admitted into a London infirmary, and removed after a few weeks to an asylum. The man, who came from the East End, dropped some remarks about the Whitechapel murders which have led to enquiry, and a detective has been in the asylum constantly with the patient since, of course disguised as another patient. The police are trying to discover whether the man knows anything about the crimes, or is merely suffering under delusions. It is said he has disclosed facts not previously known."

"JACK THE RIPPER’S VACATION
                        A Possible Explanation of the Suspension of Whitechapel Horrors

Halifax, N.S. July 28. (1890)

A curious story has got out here that if true explains the long rest which Jack the Ripper has been taking from his diabolical work in the Whitechapel district, London. A lady from this city visiting a distinguished official in London, states in a letter written to friends here that the Ripper has been under arrest in the London metropolis for some time. He is a medical student and was arrested on the strength of information given by his own sister.

The authorities, the letter states, have kept the matter a strict secret in order to work up the case against the prisoner, and they are said to have a very complete chain of evidence.

These statements are vouched for by the writer of the letter who came into possession of the facts accidentally. The person who makes the story public, however, refuses to divulge her name."

Quite possible that Betsy (Matilda) tried to contact Anderson in October 1888! Maybe she was the woman who was nearly related to the suspect (reported to the police by a woman who he has been living with). The suspect was a patient in an East End Infirmary (mid- October 1888) and he lived some time ago with a woman, by whom he has been accused (Betsy/ Matilda). Maybe, after his stay in an Infirmary, he was under close surveillance at home around 26 October 1888. This suspect, fallen under the strong suspicion of his near relatives, possibly an inmate in a private asylum end of December 1888.

I can well imagine that Kosminski was an in and out patient of a (Jewish) private asylum (and an Jewish Infirmary) until he was brought to Colney Hatch.

Then, a year before his admission to Colney Hatch, It is said he (Kosminski?) has disclosed facts not previously known. When he was brought from the infirmary to the (private) asylum a detective (undercover, constantly with the patient) was with him.

Then, July 1890, the police said to have a very complete chain of evidence against this suspect, formerly (?) arrested on the strength of information given by his own sister (Matilda or Betsy, sister in law). The date July 1890 would be thus a good time for the Seaside Home ID. I assume he was watched by the City Police after he was released from the (Jewish private) asylum at the end of 1890. It might be possible that he was brought (with the help of Betsy/Matilda and Jacob?) from the asylum to the Mile End Workhouse (12-16 July 1890) when the police had found their Seaside Home witness.

February 1890:

As already at the end of 1888- Infirmary/Asylum- the same in February 1890 –Infirmary/Asylum-

What does it mean?

It is said he has disclosed facts not previously known.

Knowledge only the perpetrator could have?

If there was an undercover officer in the asylum the staff must have known it.

Lloyds Weekly, 15. Dezember 1889

CITY SUMMONS COURT

FINES FOR UNMUZZLED DOGS:

“Aaron Kosminki was summoned for a similar offence. Police Constable Borer said he saw the defendant with an unmuzzled dog, and when asked his name gave that of Aaron Kosminski, which his brother said was wrong, as his name was Abrahams.Defendant said that the dog was not his, and his brother said it was found more convenient here to go by the name of Abrahams, but his name was Kosminski. Sir Polydore de Keyser imposed a fine of 10s. and costs. which the defendant would not pay, as it was not right to pay money on Sunday. He was given till Monday to pay.”

The Times, 16. Dezember 1889:

“At the City Summons Court, before Alderman Sir Polydore de Keyser, Aaron Kosmunski (sic) was charged with allowing a dog to be unmuzzled in Cheapside. When stopped by an officer defendant gave a false name and address. Before the Court his excuse was that he went by the name of Abrahams because his proper name was so difficult to spell. The Alderman imposed a fine of 10s. and costs. Defendant said he could not pay it; the dog was not his, it belonged to a man named Jacobs.
                        The Alderman: You must pay the fine or in default go to prison for seven days.”

City Press, 18. Dezember 1889:

"THE RABIES ORDER. - [Others cases reported.] AARON KOSMUNSKI also appeared to a summons for having a dog unmuzzled in Cheapside. When spoken to by the police he gave a wrong name and address. Defendant: I goes by the name of Abrahams sometimes, because Kosmunski is hard to spell. (Laughter.) The defendant called his brother, who corroborated that part of the evidence which related to his name. The Alderman said he would have to pay a fine of 10s., and costs. Defendant: I cannot pay; the dog belongs to Jacobs; it is not mine. The Alderman: It was in your charge, and you must pay the fine, and if you have no goods on which to distrain you will have to go to prison for seven days."

I have the information that a stay in a private asylum run for a maximum of four months at that time. Macnaghten stated: about march 1889.

That might mean for Kosminski:

-Private asylum-

(November/ December 1888)
                        Beginning of March 1889 - Beginning of July 1889 (Anderson thought Mackenzie/17 July 1889 was not a Ripper victim)
                        Beginning of August 1889 - Beginning of Dezember 1889 (the dog incident)
                        Beginning of January 1890 - Beginning of Mai 1890 (he has disclosed facts not previously known)
                        Beginning of June 1890 - Beginning of October 1890 (did the family stop their support?)

This could mean for Kosminski:

He was at large in July & December 1889 and at large in Mai & October 1890 (until the beginning of February 1891).

Seven months (or some more) at large! Is this Sims considerable time?

We have the information that Sagar was near Butchers Row at the beginning of April 1889.

Quite possible Kosminski was brought to the private asylum after the Kelly murder, or some time after, but not for four months.

Cox said:

but it was not until the discovery of the body of Mary Kelly had been made that we seemed to get upon the trail... and...

from time to time he became insane, and was forced to spend a portion of his time in an asylum in Surrey

The Bristol Mercury, 29 December 1888:

detectives have recently visited all the registered private lunatic asylums... did the police not know where he was brought?

Maybe a portion of his time in Surrey also included a short- time stay (after Kelly) in this private asylum and did a man like Sagar “hold the fort” until the beginning of April 1889 as he already did after the Kelly murder? But this time the suspect stayed for months in Surrey?

Manitoba Daily Free Press
                        Winnipeg, Canada
                        8 March 1894

Is He The Ripper?
                        A remarkable statement concerning the perpetrator of the Whitechapel murders has been made by an inspector of the criminal investigation department. He was, it appears, on duty near Mitre Court (sic) and the scene of the other murders throughout the time in which they were effected. The officer set himself to find out the criminal, and during the prosecution of his inquiries became possessed of an Oriental knife of a curious pattern of blade. Some time later a man who manifested homicidal mania was arrested on a minor charge, and in him the officer considered that he had found the perpetrator of the Whitechapel crimes. At first the man was placed in confinement near London; later on the criminal was removed to Dartmore (sic), where he went completely mad. All his conversation is about Whitechapel and about the women who were so mysteriously done to death within its precincts. Prior to this, however, the officer from whom this statement now emanates had made his report to his superiors. He had placed the whole of his information before them, and received a bonus for his pains.

It is said he has disclosed facts not previously known (February 1890) and All his conversation is about Whitechapel and about the women who were so mysteriously done to death within its precincts (March 1894)

In such a case I would not rule out that this madman talked so much about these crimes (February 1890) that the police were able to find the Seaside Home witness about July 1890 (Informations via the Undercover officer?).

At first the man was placed in confinement near London; later on the criminal was removed to Dartmore (sic), where he went completely mad.

It reminds me of Mary Berkin (granddaughter of Swanson):

From what I heard I gathered that Grandfather had been in charge of the case, knew who was the perpetrator but couldn't bring him to justice without the co- operation of one who might have had knowledge of the suspect's movements. That someone was a fellow Jew who declined on religious grounds. The 'proof ' was that the crimes ceased when the suspect was sent away from London.

The Manitoba Daily Free Press report allows us to conclude that this “Inspector” was the City PC/DC near Mitre Square. And it might be possible that his colleagues Sagar and Cox belonged to the officers who were watching Kosminski after the Kelly murder until he was removed to an asylum about March 1889 after he was arrested on a minor charge.

22. November 1888 Morning Advertiser

“Great excitement was caused in the East-end, and throughout the metropolis generally, yesterday by the attempted murder of a woman in the district of the tragedie… is known as Annie, or Matilda, Farmer. She is stated to be a married woman of good appearance and about 34 years of age.”

A man was arrested in the East-end early this morning (22. November?) under very suspicious circumstances. Between one and two o’clock a woman, who was in the company with a man in a narrow thoroughfare near Brick-lane, was heard to call "Murder!" and "Police!" loudly. At the moment the man was seen making off at a rapid pace. He was pursued through several streets by the police and detectives who have lately been concentrated in considerable numbers in the neighbourhood, and was captured near Truman, Hanbury, and Buxton’s brewery. The man is reported to have drawn a knife, and made a desperate resistance, but he was eventually overpowered, and conveyed to the Commercial-street station.

Evening News, London, U.K. 22 November 1888

"The Central News says the following is the true account of the captured effected this morning: After an exciting chase he was captured and taken to Commercial-street Station. The report that he tried to injure his pursuers with a knife is contradicted by the police.

The Central News says: The man who was taken into custody near Brick-lane early this morning was simply arrested for assaulting a prostitute, and will be charged with that offence before the magistrates this morning. The case has no connection whatever with yesterday's outrage. On later inquiries at the Commercial-street Police-station the Central News was informed that the man wanted for the murderous assault on Mrs. Farmer had not yet been apprehended."

"The man arrested late last night in connection with the outrage on the woman Farmer, at George-street, Spitalfields, is still in custody at Commercial-street, Police-station, but the police decline to say whether they attach any importance to the arrest. George-street is perfectly quiet this morning, and the excitement seems to have already died out. No arrests have been made beyond the one last night."

Evening Telegraph, 22 November 1888

The Central News says:- The man who was taken into custody near Brick Lane early this morning was simply arrested for assaulting a prostitute, and will be charged with that offence. The case has no connection whatever with yesterday's outrage. On later inquiries at the Commercial Street Police Station, the Central News was informed that the man wanted for the murderous assault on Mrs Farmer had not yet been apprehended.

It seems that the press did confuse the Farmer incident with another incident hours later.

…Matilda…She is stated to be a married woman of good appearance and about 34 years of age.”

Aaron Kozminski´s sister Matilda Lubnowski was a married woman of good appearance and about 34 years of age at the time of the murders (I know a picture of her at that time).

Was the minor charge a dispute between Aaron Kozminski and his sister Matilda? And was the Oriental knife of a curious pattern of blade the knife which the man, near Brick Lane, had drawn?

Also interesting:

End of 1890, the police were watching 81 Greenfield Street (in this street were the addresses of Matilda Lubnowski and Isaac Abrahams, sister and brother of Aaron). You can read the names of Cox, Sagar and an “informant” with the name of Joseph Tragheim.

As mentioned above this is just a story, no proof.

Karsten.

Comment

• This is healthy and interesting speculation, without having to make huge leaps to pull things together. There are many ideas here that should, at very least raise some eyebrows. Of course there are probably people who are, at this moment thinking of how to shoot this all down.

Comment

• Thanks, John!

Of course, just speculation, but people who have interest in Kosminski can find some inspiration for new ideas.

Sims:

He had at one time been employed in a hospital in Poland. He was known to be a lunatic at the time of the murders, and some-time afterwards he betrayed such undoubted signs of homicidal mania that he was sent to a lunatic asylum.

Halifax report 1890:

He is a medical student and was arrested on the strength of information given by his own sister.

Is there a connection between undoubted signs of homicidal mania and strength of information given by his own sister?

Manitoba Daily Free Press 1894:

a man who manifested homicidal mania was arrested on a minor charge

Is there a connection between minor charge and the attack on his sister (Jacob Cohen 1891) possibly in November 1888?

Is Kosminski who had at one time been employed in a Hospital in Poland the medical student?

Maybe the attack on his sister with a knife could have been the only incident that the family, the police and doctors ever having seen. Apart from some outbursts of rage.

Who knows, the woman, by whom he has been accused, could have heard when he was mumbling something about the Ripper murders after the Double Event in October 1888. Similar to later in time:

It is said he has disclosed facts not previously known and All his conversation is about Whitechapel and about the women who were so mysteriously done to death within its precincts

I think that Jack the Ripper was an "emotional illiterate" without any fear of being captured. Quite possible that he was able to hide his homicidal mania (with one exception).

But Kosminski/ Aaron Kozminski were mad enough to talk about their optical and acoustic hallucinations even if only unknowingly. The disorder made it possible. Maybe some of these hallucinations contained information only known to the police (1890).

It might also have been possible he was talking about a man he had seen at one of the crime scenes. And maybe the police were able to find this man (Seaside Home witness).

I'm mentioning this because of the statement he has disclosed facts not previously known (February 1890) and of a possible ID in July 1890. Maybe the undercover officer was able to get information of a possible witness when he shadowed Kosminski in an asylum, during or after February 1890.

Anderson:

I will merely add that the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer unhesitatingly identified the suspect the instant he was confronted with him

Swanson:

and he knew he was identified

One could scream funny if Kosminski would have been led the police to the only person who had ever had a good view of him... without knowing it...

Comment

• Its all quite interesting but very confusing. Isenshmidt and Piggot were both under survelance at that time too . I did read that the police tried to see someone at Bow Asylum and were refused under lunacy laws. It then stated that the man had been released because his brother had vouched for his whereabouts that morning. Isenscmidt did not have a brother. It could have been Pizer or Kozminski?
                              I went through Crawfords papers when I went up to Edinburgh and could find nothing about the visit from the woman.
                              Pat.......
                              Last edited by Paddy; 12-11-2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• No offense, and don't let me dampen your theories, but the talkative lunatic mentioned in the Manitoba Free Press in March 1894 is most assuredly Thomas Cutbush. The date of the article and the reference to a "chinese knife" gives the game away; Tommy Boy and his famous Asian dagger had just been written up in The Sun a couple of weeks earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                X