View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Picking and choosing works both ways Mike.

Ok.

An obscure poem - Crashaw has been described as 'among the major figures associated with the metaphysical poets in 17th century English literature.' Would have been more widely known in the 19th century.

Pubs - is it impossible that Maybrick might have called The Post Office Tavern, The Poste House? Seeing that 'post office' and 'post house' were interchangeable terms?

Out of date phrases - I assume you mean 'one off instrance?' All I can say, and I haven't researched this myself, is that Robert Smith says that he has found that the phrase 'one off duty' was used 19th century prisons in Jonathon Green's 'Dictionary of Jargon.'
Herlock, the Post Office Tavern was never known as the Poste House, why some of you keep ignoring this glaring fact is something I can't fathom.

The "e" should be a giveaway, seeing as the Post Office Tavern didn't include an "e", but the well-known pub called the "Poste House" did/does.

If we're going to start making up random facts about pubs for the sake of excusing an error, then we're not playing fairly, are we? You might as well just invent a pub called the Poste House and have it sit at the top of Riversdale road in 1888, now lost to the sands of time, despite a solid history of local pubs from the Victorian age existing in books widely available in this city not showing any pub of that name existing.

One-Off duty is in no way reflective of "one off instance."

So, again, May was a true man of obscure knowledge, from obscure poetry, to obscure pubs, to obscure phrases, to obscure handwriting.

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote