Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
    From 'Jack the Ripper --The Facts' by Paul Begg (2006) p.487:

‘In 1891 Melville Macnaghten wrote to Banstead requesting that the Convict Supervision Office be informed if Ostrog was released. There is no suggestion that Banstead were informed that Ostrog was potentially dangerous, possibly a multiple murderer and perhaps Jacks the Ripper.’

Paul, you draw conclusions about Ostrog's alleged violence not being reported to Banstead, but seem to resist this same possibility in the case of Kosminki's committal?

The bald fact that AK's case notes are so mundane and that he was ultimately sent to Leavesden as a harmless imbecile surely supports the conclusion that the attendants were never informed that he was "possibly a multiple murderer and Jack the Ripper?" No?

Perhaps I am dense, but I see no difference, and, indeed what might be called the "cluelessness" of the medical attendants seems even more evident in the case notes for Kosminski.
    Hi Roger,
    I'm not sure what I've said to suggest that I resist the idea that Kosminski's alleged violence wasn't reported to the asylum authorities. I've always thought it possible that it wasn't, and I agree that his transfer to Leavesden might indeed suggest that they had no idea of the police suspicions. What I do say, repeatedly over the years, is that Kosminski's asylum records are concerned with his physical health and say next to nothing about his general behaviour, how his mental illness manifested itself (by which I mean the form his delusions took), or, indeed, his mental condition overall. Sorry if I have misled anyone.

Comment

One thing that puzzles me is, if AK was a suspect, why not send him to Broadmoor? Cutbush was sent there and he hadn't been found guilty of anything. They could have charged AK with attacking his sister, found him unfit to plead and sent him to Broadmoor where, presumably, the security was tighter than at Colney Hatch or Leavesden.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
        I'm not sure what I've said to suggest that I resist the idea that Kosminski's alleged violence wasn't reported to the asylum authorities.
        Hi Paul. Fair enough. This must have been my own misunderstanding. I actually like this position, because I have long felt that Anderson (and Macnaghten in at least one instance) is implying that Kosminski's family somehow finessed the Met (or maybe the City Police) by spiriting him away to the workhouse before any legal trouble could ensue. Tying a suspect’s hands with rope is not police procedure, but it is consistent with something the family might have done, which could, potentially, also answer Robert’s question. Aaron K had made it into ‘the system’ before the investigation was concluded.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
          Hi Paul. Fair enough. This must have been my own misunderstanding. I actually like this position, because I have long felt that Anderson (and Macnaghten in at least one instance) is implying that Kosminski's family somehow finessed the Met (or maybe the City Police) by spiriting him away to the workhouse before any legal trouble could ensue. Tying a suspect’s hands with rope is not police procedure, but it is consistent with something the family might have done, which could, potentially, also answer Robert’s question. Aaron K had made it into ‘the system’ before the investigation was concluded.
          Hi Roger
          That's always been my take on it. No rope is mentioned, of course, but his hands tied behind his back ammounts to the same thing. Kosminski was returned to his brother's house after the identification and the family avoided unpleasant publicity by having him committed before the police could bring charges. We seem to be on the same page here!

Cheers
          Paul

Comment

Still, some caution should have been given to attendants so other patients could be protected; but apparently none was (at least the written records show nothing.)

Comment

Scott, did you ever find anything more about the 'hairdresser' Daniel Kosminski?

Comment

Hi RJ,

No, other than a certain John Hyam co-sponsored Daniel's naturalization application, and that this Hyam was probably the manager of the Imperial Club on Duke Street in 1887-88. Quite possibly, Daniel, who lived close by on Houndsditch, was a member as well.

Comment

The naturalisation record says that Daniel has no children, but the 1891 census shows a daughter Bessie aged 11.

Comment

Daughter Bessie also in 1901 census same address in St Marylebone.

Danil Kozminski son of Ludowik born 1852 married Rojza Trajber in Kolo in 1873. Could be distantly related to Aaron as his cousins lived in Kolo.
                    I did check and he is not closely related.

They went to Australia some time after in 1911.

Pat.....

Comment

Thanks Pat. I saw a slight trace of him in Victoria but couldn't be sure.

Comment

Robert he went to Melbourne with wife on ship:Orsova in 1919 no daughter, maybe she married ?...

Pat

Comment

Thanks, gents. He doesn't sound too promising, but the link to the Imperial Club is interesting. He's also listed in the 1884 Business Directory of London:

Kozminski Daniel hairdresser 102 Houndsditch E

Comment

Hi Pat

There's a reference in Rosie's death announcement to a niece Bessie Wall. I don't know where she fits in.

I see some of this was discussed in this thread :

This forum is for queries regarding serious research that is in progress. This is not for homework queries or other general type of questions. A place for people to post New Information or solicit assistance in matters related to research.

RJ, I think Paddy is a Pat is a she.

Comment

The Kosminski Shawl and the Jack the Ripper Diary

I have been away from my JTR studies for a while due to illness. What has been the disposition of the shawl purportedly with Kosminski's DNA on it (as put forth in the book "Naming Jack the Ripper") and the "Diary of Jack the Ripper" purportedly written by James Maybrick. Have they been officially debunked? Speaking of Maybrick, what has been the response of the JTR community to Bruce Robinson's theory that Michael Maybrick was JTR?

Comment

Originally posted by Lenne P. View Post
                                I have been away from my JTR studies for a while due to illness. What has been the disposition of the shawl purportedly with Kosminski's DNA on it (as put forth in the book "Naming Jack the Ripper") and the "Diary of Jack the Ripper" purportedly written by James Maybrick. Have they been officially debunked? Speaking of Maybrick, what has been the response of the JTR community to Bruce Robinson's theory that Michael Maybrick was JTR?
                                The shawl DNA totally destroyed, don’t think anyone is trying to stand up for it now, well Edwards might be.

Now Maybrick, many still defend it.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X