Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Andrew,

I just wondered if you are 'done' with Whitechapel now or is there more in the pipeline. After all there are many more 'peripheral' sites. Maybe even connected sites that haven't been photographed yet?
    I've not really thought about what I shall do next to be honest!

There will always be that passion to create new photomontages and take new ohotos, so a follow up to Ripperland is always a possibility. The main factor that influences whether a new book could be produced is the availability of old photographs to use in the montages. These would need to be out of copyright (i.e. in the public domain) or alternatively permissions would need to be secured for any photos used from private collections etc.

I'll be shouting it from the rooftops if I do decide to produce a new volume!

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

Hello, Andrew,

My copy of "Ripperland" arrived this week, and I'm delighted with it. I've only had a quick skim through it, but I tell it will be very interesting and educational. I think I may give to a friend with a birthday in October (but will read it first!)

Many thanks,
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Andrew,

Just a thought but I wondered if you could use you're techniques and skills to create photo-montages which include real people (if facial images of the people exist obviously) and create 'scenes' from the case. I thought of this recently when I read in a book (Simon Wood's I believe) of Charles Warrens address. I checked Google maps and it looks like the original house is still there; a large, impressive building. We have photos of Warren so the scene I imagined being created was of Warren leaving the house in the early hours of the double event. Also Warren and Arnold at the graffito. Recreating scenes might be an interesting angle?
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          Andrew,

Just a thought but I wondered if you could use you're techniques and skills to create photo-montages which include real people (if facial images of the people exist obviously) and create 'scenes' from the case. I thought of this recently when I read in a book (Simon Wood's I believe) of Charles Warrens address. I checked Google maps and it looks like the original house is still there; a large, impressive building. We have photos of Warren so the scene I imagined being created was of Warren leaving the house in the early hours of the double event. Also Warren and Arnold at the graffito. Recreating scenes might be an interesting angle?
          I have done one or two montages in the past that feature actual people. Usually they're either cut-outs from newspaper drawings or even just silhouettes, but I did one a couple of years ago of PC Ernest Thompson with his bullseye lamp outside the Swallow Gardens arch, so it certainly can be done!

All the best
          Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
            I have done one or two montages in the past that feature actual people. Usually they're either cut-outs from newspaper drawings or even just silhouettes, but I did one a couple of years ago of PC Ernest Thompson with his bullseye lamp outside the Swallow Gardens arch, so it certainly can be done!

All the best
            Andrew
            Hi Andrew,

Is the Thompson photo on here?
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

No, it was done to illustrate an article that Neil Bell wrote for the 2015 conference pack. I'll check with him to see if it's ok to share here, and if so I'll post it.

All the best
              Andrew

Comment

Montage of PC Ernest Thompson at Swallow Gardens

This was produced to illustrate Neil Bell's excellent article "240H" which appeared in the 2015 conference delegate's booklet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swallow Gardens Reconstruction 2015 v2 Forums.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	667143

All the best
                Andrew

Comment

Excellent.

Thanks for that Andrew (and Neil)
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

"Ripperland" back in stock!

After the first print run sold out in under two weeks, I'm very pleased to announce that new stock of "Ripperland" has now arrived at Mango Books HQ, and can be ordered at http://www.mangobooks.co.uk/book.php?b=24

Grab a copy before they sell out again!

Name:	Ripperland September 2017.jpg
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	667150

All the best
                    Andrew

Comment

Name:	Aldgate Butchers Jack London Montage Forums.jpg
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	667158

A view of the poor, queuing outside a butcher's shop on Aldgate in the early 20th century, montaged into the equivalent modern day scene. Note that signs pointing towards the Still & Star public house appear in both photographs, evidence of a rare survivor in this part of London.

This, and over forty other photomontages appear in "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth, which is now once again available to order on Amazon and on the Mango Books site.
                      Mango Books offer nonfiction books for lovers of crime, detection and mystery.

Comment

A review by Paul Begg of "Ripperland" appeared in the latest Ripperologist magazine:

Name:	Review Forums.jpg
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	667185

Adam Wood informs me that there are only eight copies remaining of the second print run. If you want one, head over to http://www.mangobooks.co.uk/book.php?b=24 right away to order!

All the best
                        Andrew

Comment

Andrew,

Who do you think the butcher or butcher's assistant was tending the female customers? Cira 1902 as captured by Jack London or his photographer?

Comment

Merry Christmas from Andrew Firth and Mango Books!

Name:	Christmas 2017 forums.JPG
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	667252

All the best
                            Andrew

Comment

So Andrew it looks like I cannot get your book shipped to Australia via Amazon UK. Any other way to purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by sushka View Post
                                So Andrew it looks like I cannot get your book shipped to Australia via Amazon UK. Any other way to purchase?
                                Yes, I'm sorry about that, but you can purchase direct from Mango Books by emailing Adam Wood at adam@mangobooks.co.uk If you provide your postal address, Adam will email you an invoice which can then be paid via PayPal.

All the best
                                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X