World Reacts to Trump's "****hole Countries" Remark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
    Is there anyone at all who believes that Haiti, the Banana Republics, or central Africa are great places to live? When you're asked for an example of a nation whose culture you admire and accomplishments you respect, does El Salvador spring right to mind? Can you realistically imagine, even for a moment, someone born in America, Canada, or the UK wishing that they'd had the great good fortune to be born Haitian instead?

The real problem here is that Trump is failing to dress unpleasant truths in the socially-required language of equivocation and blame-deflection. That's pretty much an unforgivable sin these days.
    One comment I heard in the past few days is that Haitian refugees are often better educated than Americans. Of course that probably isn't so about the poorest Haitians, but it was a statement by someone who knows Haiti and the Haitians who have come to this country. You would think that a "very smart" man like Donald J. Trump might respect that. But no.
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Is there anyone at all who believes that Haiti, the Banana Republics, or central Africa are great places to live? When you're asked for an example of a nation whose culture you admire and accomplishments you respect, does El Salvador spring right to mind? Can you realistically imagine, even for a moment, someone born in America, Canada, or the UK wishing that they'd had the great good fortune to be born Haitian instead?

The real problem here is that Trump is failing to dress unpleasant truths in the socially-required language of equivocation and blame-deflection. That's pretty much an unforgivable sin these days.
      Ginger, I'm sorry, but using the phrase "politically correct" to describe civil and respectful language is as one-sided as describing everything Trump says as "racist." We need to stop thinking honesty means using the most crass and obscene words in the English language.

I understand you approve of Mr. Trump, but I think he is undereducated, inexperienced, and not capable of leading a country-- let alone the world.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        Ginger, I'm sorry, but using the phrase "politically correct" to describe civil and respectful language is as one-sided as describing everything Trump says as "racist." We need to stop thinking honesty means using the most crass and obscene words in the English language.

I understand you approve of Mr. Trump, but I think he is undereducated, inexperienced, and not capable of leading a country-- let alone the world.

Well said, Pcdunn!

Cheers

Chris
        Christopher T. George

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          I think he is undereducated, inexperienced, and not capable of leading a country-- let alone the world.
          He couldn't lead a conga.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I hate political correctness as much as anyone. I hate the fact that it’s almost impossible to discus/debate some issues for fear of offending. That said, I couldn’t agree more with Pat’s post (and Sam’s). It’s genuinly like a poor movie. How did this childish caveman even get considered for the Presidency? Perhaps we can, at least partially, put it down to the preponderance of faceless, career politicians who spend there entire lives thinking of ever more ingenious ways of avoiding answering questions or giving their OWN opinions? We have them here too. And so when we hear someone that sounds different and that’s outspoken we can tend to equate that with honesty (we even like it if they put their foot in it now and again.) In The UK for eg we have Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and the legendary Minister For The Eighteenth Century Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Forrest Trump appeared to speak to the downtrodden and poorly treated average American but it appears that the only one he speaks to is his imaginary friend Gerald the pink aardvark.

He has to go........surely
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Check out this great dignified riposte to Trump's "shithole countries" rant.

Anderson Cooper reflects on his relationship with Haiti and its people on the eight year anniversary of the devastating earthquake that hit the country follo...

Comment

Thanks for posting it Barn
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

With respect, Trump is also failing to address some 'unpleasant truths' closer to home, namely shocking poverty, appalling healthcare for many and woeful educational attainment - and all this in a wealthy country.

I am sorry if this upsets some of you, but, avoiding the use of 'socially-required language, Trump is a vile and deranged nutjob.

Honestly, I never imagined the world would slump to its current state and the bright, golden dawn I prayed for and campaigned for would turn so dark and menacing and hopeless.

Comment

Honestly, I never imagined the world would slump to its current state and the bright, golden dawn I prayed for and campaigned for would turn so dark and menacing and hopeless.
                    I mean really, get a grip of yourself...Trump is a thin-skinned businessman with a huge ego who became president of the United States by accident. Turning someone who is at most a bawbag into the devil incarnate will only make his re-election even more certain.
                    My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                      With respect, Trump is also failing to address some 'unpleasant truths' closer to home, namely shocking poverty, appalling healthcare for many and woeful educational attainment - and all this in a wealthy country.

I am sorry if this upsets some of you, but, avoiding the use of 'socially-required language, Trump is a vile and deranged nutjob.

The same must then apply to every other person failing to address poverty, healthcare and education. Must it not.

Let alone all those who voted for him.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        The same must then apply to every other person failing to address poverty, healthcare and education. Must it not.

Let alone all those who voted for him.
                        Yes, of course it applies to all - but especially wealthy countries such as the USA and the UK. Trump is just one issue in a long line of disgraceful episodes that have resulted in suffering and decline of which I never expected to see.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                          Check out this great dignified riposte to Trump's "shithole countries" rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjIsrpAg3JE
                          Yes what a fine response from CNN's Anderson Cooper which as you say is worth watching.

Cheers

Chris
                          Christopher T. George

Comment

Except for the wording used,what is wrong with Trump's observations?
                            Had he included Jamaica,he might have struck a chord with many in UK.

Comment

Admin prohibited trump threads.
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                                Except for the wording used,what is wrong with Trump's observations?
                                Had he included Jamaica,he might have struck a chord with many in UK.
                                Harry, had he merely observed (as his later tweet said he did) that Haiti was "poor and troubled," I wouldn't have had a problem with it. That is only the truth.

But suggesting that Haitians should be removed from the list of immigrants with temporary protected status because the USA doesn't want them (as well as suggesting we get more Norwegians), throws a distinctly raçist cast on his words.

Everyone who came to America voluntarily in our history did so because they sought better conditions than in their homelands, whether religious freedom, relief from famine, escape from political harassment and war, safety from natural disasters. Most immigrants faced a period of prejudice and disdain (even white ones, ask any Irish-American), yet most also managed to make contributions to our history.

To say now that our place as the country where a "better life" can only be held out to white Europeans is a denial of our history and our ideals. And yes, I realize those ideals in reality were less than perfect in history, but we have striven to rise above them and to make amends for our mistakes, and we should not go backwards now.
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X