Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found this photo labeled 'Rent Man' but there was no other information; perhaps one of you can tell me more.

It's amazing to me that someone had the foresight to even take a photo like this, because such ordinary scenes of everyday life must have been taken for granted. (How many people today have a photo of themselves paying the rent??)

Check out Rent Man's snappy bowler hat, clean white collar, shiny shoes & walking stick compared to the grubby family who's giving him their money.

My God, that lane is so narrow, dark and gloomy, as if the walls truly are closing in! I wonder what it must have been like to live in a place so oppressive- and to know that if you slipped down the economic ladder you would end up some place much worse.

A lot of food for thought in that photograph.

Best regards, Archaic
    Attached Files

Comment

• Don't know if this has already been posted.

London is the last stop in an epic trip across Britain filmed in remarkable early colour and restored by the BFI National Archive.London was the final stop i...
      Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
        Cool Beans, Andy. Thanks.

Paddy
        On a side note - where on earth did this "Cool beans" saying come from? I once heard a girl say it on the phone to someone on the train and I was like WTF......

Comment

• 1888 illustrations...

In all the JtR books I have there are a handful of contemporary drawings-in one of them(and damn me, I can't recall which one it is at the moment and I'm miles away from the shelves)there are some particularly well-drawn illustrations, absolutely top-notch draughtsmanship-as good as Gerald Du Maurier imho. Most were done at the inquests, but at least one of the 29 Hanbury St. backyard.

Anyway, I'd like to look at as many of the c. 1888 illos as possible; assuming that no one book has many more of them than I've already seen published(I know what that's likely due to-the costs involved), where can I find them?

The press reports very painstakingly transcribed here by necessity can't include the original illustrations; is there any online database that includes them? Or any other source? And which periodicals or papers had the most drawings-and the best in your esteemed opinions?
          Thanks very much!
          -Jenny

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
            On a side note - where on earth did this "Cool beans" saying come from? I once heard a girl say it on the phone to someone on the train and I was like WTF......
            It is I believe, a slang term that actually began it's use in the late 60's/early 70's. Popularized by the pop culture of the time. Used to describe something very favorable or pleasing. Great. Very nice.
            Cheech: Hey man, look at this car made out of weed!
            Chong: Oh cool beans, man!

well that's what I googled up at least!..

I just say, groovy baby...or gravy booby

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by JennyL View Post
              Anyway, I'd like to look at as many of the c. 1888 illos as possible; assuming that no one book has many more of them than I've already seen published(I know what that's likely due to-the costs involved), where can I find them?
              Jenny

Have a trawl through the Casebook Photo Archive - there are numerous contemporary illustrations there.

JB

Comment

• Hi folks just wondering if anyone knows where be the obelisk now

Comment

• P.S notice stalking bollard close to two men chatting ...early metropolitan surveillance techniques or convienient bumrest ...you decide

Comment

• I'm sure some research would tell me for sure, but I wonder if it's the same obelisk now outside Itchy Park?

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• I've often wondered about where the WHS obelisk went.

Cleopatra's Needle I'm sure it wasn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopatra's_Needle
                      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hi Stephen yes not quite the height of Cleo,s erection Im sure ..but never the less a welcome safe haven when dodging the mid day rush . I know it came from the Great Exhibition and erected in 1853 ... surely a commisioned piece ,,,,or nicked from Luxor . Talking about the needle ,, presented to Britain from Egypt in 1819 .. finally erected on the embankment in 1878 .. thats one late present

Comment

• Fascinating.
                          Cameron

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                            I've often wondered about where the WHS obelisk went.
                            This site says this:
                            The Obelisk, outside the Art Gallery, had been erected in 1853. It had been exhibited at the Crystal Palace in 1851 and bought by the Trustees of St Mary’s Whitechapel to be used as a refuge for those crossing the wide and busy High Street. It was removed when the tramway was constructed just before the First World War.

Comment

• And, interestingly, Dickens's Dictionary of London says that the obelisk was a Metropolitan Police fixed point between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                                And, interestingly, Dickens's Dictionary of London says that the obelisk was a Metropolitan Police fixed point between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m.
                                Which would mean that Martha and Poll went their own way with their respective customers right under the nose of the Old Bill.

PHILIP
                                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X