Chinese Ripper arrested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    It shows that these men had a greater degree of self-control, which is how they were able to lead such a double-life. The Ripper killed over a much shorter period of time, and even struck twice in one night because his bloodlust wasn't satiated.
    Eh - once again: the Ripper of whom you talk is an invention concocted out of guesswork. We do not know how many victims he had, we do not know if the ripping was a sideline, we do not know if the double event was him in both cases, and even if it was, we do not know that he had not decided beforehand to kill twice that night - the suggestion has been put forward by Tom Wescott.

We can therefore not rationally decide that the Ripper was more or less in control than any other killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
      Every day.
      Well, then, Jon - there´s your motivation! My dad (and I won´t tell you what killed him at the age of 50) always said that stopping smoking was not the hard thing - it was not to start again...

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        Eh - once again: the Ripper of whom you talk is an invention concocted out of guesswork. We do not know how many victims he had, we do not know if the ripping was a sideline, we do not know if the double event was him in both cases, and even if it was, we do not know that he had not decided beforehand to kill twice that night - the suggestion has been put forward by Tom Wescott.

We can therefore not rationally decide that the Ripper was more or less in control than any other killer.
        Are you denying that he killed at least five victims within 12 weeks?

Comment

It shows that these men had a greater degree of self-control, which is how they were able to lead such a double-life. The Ripper killed over a much shorter period of time, and even struck twice in one night because his bloodlust wasn't satiated.
          Hi Harry
          just off the top of my head-Bundy.
          very comparable to ripper/torso man in the things you mentioned.
          sometimes he had greater self control-other times not. killed two women (not together) in one day. went spells were he held off. went berserk and attacked multiple women on one night.

His MO changed and as a matter of fact if he wasn't caught and we knew exactly which women were his victims, they wouldn't have been able to link because some were so different it even looked like the signature was different.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            Interesting report, but the story said he killed young women dressed in red, then later mentions his youngest victim was only eight years old. Rather a broad interpretation of "women", not that it matters that much, I suppose.

Where did his hatred of women (and girls) come from? In a crime drama, they would speculate he had been abused in childhood by his mother and elder sister, who both favored the color red. Too bad real life isn't that tidy...
            Where did his hatred of women (and girls) come from?
            I think with serial killers it has more to do with enjoying the act of killing, mutilating, sex with victim than hatred.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Are you denying that he killed at least five victims within 12 weeks?
              I can not deny it OR confirm it. That´s the crux, Harry. We are left with speculation only. And my personal speculation tells me that the same killer did the torso series AND the Ripper series - in which case your thoughts about him not being able to control himself go out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Hi Harry
                just off the top of my head-Bundy.
                very comparable to ripper/torso man in the things you mentioned.
                sometimes he had greater self control-other times not. killed two women (not together) in one day. went spells were he held off. went berserk and attacked multiple women on one night.

His MO changed and as a matter of fact if he wasn't caught and we knew exactly which women were his victims, they wouldn't have been able to link because some were so different it even looked like the signature was different.
                Bundy wasn't a family man who killed over a period of decades. His killing spree spanned approximately four years and he managed to get a lot done in that time before he slipped up.

Lechmerian's favourite hobbyhorse is someone like Dennis Rader. They often cite him as proof positive that family men can lead a "normal" life whilst moonlighting as a murderous psycho. Then you see that Rader murdered 10 victims (four of whom were mass-murdered) over a period of 17 years. That's how Rader was able to live this double-life, either because he had a greater degree of self-control or his impulses weren't as strong as other serial killers. Did the Ripper exhibit Rader-esque restraint? He killed half as many victims as Rader in a fraction of the time!

Comment

Bundy wasn't a family man who killed over a period of decades. His killing spree spanned approximately four years and he managed to get a lot done in that time before he slipped up.

Lechmerian's favourite hobbyhorse is someone like Dennis Rader. They often cite him as proof positive that family men can lead a "normal" life whilst moonlighting as a murderous psycho. Then you see that Rader murdered 10 victims (four of whom were mass-murdered) over a period of 17 years. That's how Rader was able to live this double-life, either because he had a greater degree of self-control or his impulses weren't as strong as other serial killers. Did the Ripper exhibit Rader-esque restraint? He killed half as many victims as Rader in a fraction of the time!
                  You seem still unable to take on board what I am telling you: you do not know how many victims the Ripper claimed, nor do you know over which span of years he was at work. You speak of the MacNaghten view as if it was a definitely established truth. It is not.
                  If the Ripper and the torso man were one and the same, then there is at least a ten year hiatus to explain. How´s that for a restraint?
                  Much as you dislike Rader, he nevertheless is a good example of how serial killers may refrain from killing. There are others, though, if Rader displeases you too much. One such man is the so called Grim Sleeper, who earned his nickname for lying dormant for 14 years. And there are others too.
                  I am not saying that your thinking does not make sense - it does, to a degree. The problem is, we do not know that degree.

Comment

Hi Harry
                    Bundy didn't have kids but he had Normal female relationships-and definitely had a "double life".His first documented murder was in 1974, but he admitted to murders and attempted kidnappings as early as 1969 and many believe he committed his first murder of a young girl in 1961.

And yes Rader is another example of a family man killer who spans decades and can wait long periods of time in between killings. and use different MO also.

as is Ridgeway. the list goes on.

I guess I don't really understand your point then. The ripper and torso man cases are unsolved-they could have been the same man. So I'm giving you examples of serial killers who are similar if they were.

and the Chinese ripper is yet another example.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

. There are others, though, if Rader displeases you too much. One such man is the so called Grim Sleeper, who earned his nickname for lying dormant for 14 years. And there are others too.
                      Los Angeles Times May 8, 2016

LAPD believes 'Grim Sleeper' serial killer never actually slept

"Authorities believe the Grim Sleeper never really slept, and that Thomas' slaying in 2000 helps prove that.

"I don't think he stopped killing," said LAPD Det. Daryn Dupree, the last remaining detective who worked on the task force that arrested Franklin.

In all, investigators believe Franklin is responsible for at least 25 slayings, including 11 that took place during the supposed dormant period that led to his sobriquet."

Vivian Williams had long given up hope that her sister's slaying would be solved when she flipped on her television and saw news about a serial killer nicknamed the Grim Sleeper.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                        Los Angeles Times May 8, 2016

LAPD believes 'Grim Sleeper' serial killer never actually slept

"Authorities believe the Grim Sleeper never really slept, and that Thomas' slaying in 2000 helps prove that.

"I don't think he stopped killing," said LAPD Det. Daryn Dupree, the last remaining detective who worked on the task force that arrested Franklin.

In all, investigators believe Franklin is responsible for at least 25 slayings, including 11 that took place during the supposed dormant period that led to his sobriquet."

Vivian Williams had long given up hope that her sister's slaying would be solved when she flipped on her television and saw news about a serial killer nicknamed the Grim Sleeper.

JM
                        So, a LAPD policeman thinks the Grim Sleeper kept killing.

Somehow, I would prefer evidence to speculations. And I am quite convinced that there are scores of serialists who stopped killing - and who were never caught.

Comment

So, a LAPD policeman thinks the Grim Sleeper kept killing.

Somehow, I would prefer evidence to speculations.
                          So, with one sweep you completely dismiss all of the circumstantial evidence that Franklin murdered possibly 11 more women during his so-called 'sleeping' period, some of said evidence was allowed to be presented during his sentencing hearing, yet believe you have enough circumstantial evidence to accuse Lech of killing all of the Ripper's victims plus the Torso murders. You're a master detective, Fish. It's a loss to humanity that you didn't choose a career in law enforcement.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            Hi Harry
                            Bundy didn't have kids but he had Normal female relationships-and definitely had a "double life".His first documented murder was in 1974, but he admitted to murders and attempted kidnappings as early as 1969 and many believe he committed his first murder of a young girl in 1961.

And yes Rader is another example of a family man killer who spans decades and can wait long periods of time in between killings. and use different MO also.

as is Ridgeway. the list goes on.

I guess I don't really understand your point then. The ripper and torso man cases are unsolved-they could have been the same man. So I'm giving you examples of serial killers who are similar if they were.

and the Chinese ripper is yet another example.
                            It's impossible to make behavioural comparisons between known serial killers and the 'Ripper' for the simple reasons that a) the Ripper was never caught, and b) we don't know if there even was a serial killer.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                              So, with one sweep you completely dismiss all of the circumstantial evidence that Franklin murdered possibly 11 more women during his so-called 'sleeping' period, some of said evidence was allowed to be presented during his sentencing hearing, yet believe you have enough circumstantial evidence to accuse Lech of killing all of the Ripper's victims plus the Torso murders. You're a master detective, Fish. It's a loss to humanity that you didn't choose a career in law enforcement.

JM
                              How can I dismiss any evidence at all? I am not that familiar with the case. But I do know that the moniker the Grim Sleeper was given since there was a parceived gap in the killings. And I do know that other killers have had such gaps too. And - as I said - I am certain that a number of the undisclosed serialists simply stopped killing.
                              Whether I am a master detective or not is as written in the stars. I think I have a pretty solid case against Lechmere as well as for the two series being the work of one man only. And as far as I can tell, I am entitled to that stance.
                              And of course, you are entitled to scorn and laugh and make a fool of yourself over it.
                              Reasonably, one of us is being productive.

Comment

It's impossible to make behavioural comparisons between known serial killers and the 'Ripper' for the simple reasons that a) the Ripper was never caught, and b) we don't know if there even was a serial killer.
                                Good job, Harry - you are catching on!

Comment

Working...
                                X