Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is sensational chaps!!!!! What a damned shame I have to work for a living.....I'd be up there!

That landing looks wonderful! and the kid should be auditioning on Saturday nights!!!!

Going to print 'em off ('Er if that's OK) and do some SERIOUS montages here
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Hi Rob and Colin
      Many thanks for the pics - that is the one I was thinking of
      Chris

Comment

• FOR MONTY!!! (slightly off thread but great!)

Hi Mont-
        At the end of the day this IS HEAVEN 'eh

Suz xxxxxxxx

Comment

• Just for further clarity, when Rob was sent the images by Winston Ramsey (who charged a nice little packet for them, by the way) his mind was made up by some rubbish lying by the railings on the first floor of St George House seen clearly from the back. The rubbish is seen in the same place, looking the same, on an internal shot that Ramsey said was GYB.

Although John's finding is truly lovely and shows the murder spot for the first time (and changed the minds of all of us who were expecting an internal stairwell), it's not QUITE as much of a revelation as you'd expect.

On the old boards I put up a shot on page 109 of TOYNBEE HALL : THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS (1984) showing the quad behind Toynbee Hall and there, on the right hand side, is part of the back of GYB, clearly showing the back was open to the elements. I guess we just didn't conclude the obvious from that. I knew it was GYB but none of us pointed out the fact it wasn't internal. I guess it might be because you don't see the exits and entrances to the stairs themselves on the shot from the book.

What I'm keen on knowing now is ideas for how the staircase up to the landing ran from the ground floor. Any ideas?

By the way - I live in Guildford. Guilford is in Maine in the US. And if Rob is here with a cricket bat, you can be sure he's playing cricket - though unlike certain people, there is proof he's definitely visted the East End.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• A while back, we were discussing the Lord Hood pub on Brady Street, the one where the horse used to drink (!) and we posted a few shots of it here, though I now can't find them. It appeared in one of my Ripperologist photo essays.

Well, the other week, I passed it whilst working and noticed it had met with an unfortunate accident. It was in a pretty bad state, had obviously been broken into and then set on fire.

On Wednesday I took these pictures. It looks a little better than it did last week, I can tell you.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	LORDHOOD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	653212

Name:	LORDHOOD2.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	653213

Sad, really, but unless somebody wants to do it up as a trendy bar (very unlikely in this part of Bethnal Green) I can't see this place lasting much longer. Saying that, it'll probably be there in 20 years time, only looking worse!

Comment

• Nice Pics JB, Its such a shame to see buildings like this, just one question though.

Did the horse drink inside or out??

A horse walks into the pub and the landlord says "Why the long face"
              Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                Did the horse drink inside or out??
                Oh, outside. This was in the 1950s.

Comment

• Yeah, Outside. All dumb animals drink outside, lets why Im not allowed in.

You need a special license to let Horses drink inside. They cant play darts though. Not cos its illegal, cos they have hooves and cant grip the arrows properly.

Monty

Sometimes I worry myself.
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• I just remember a story on Local News a couple of years ago, where a landlord let a horse come in for a pint of mild!!!

I know all about animals outside of pubs, I live in Hull
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi All,

Great pictures, everyone.

Does anyone have a snap of Bethnal Green police station. It was/is a rather nice double-bow-fronted building on a corner. Not certain it's still standing.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Hi Simon,

Here you go. This is how it would have looked in 1888. The photo is about 1907.
                        The changes came about 1914 to 1917 if I remember my conversation with Bernie Brown about it correctly.

Name:	Bethnal Green Police Station.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	653214

Rob

Comment

• These are some screen captures from the film 'Venom' made in 1981.

Brady Street, South corner of Winthrop Street.

Name:	Brady Street 1981.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	653215

I don't think these need explanations.

Name:	Brady Street Winthrop Street 1 1981.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	653216

Name:	Brady Street Winthrop Street 2 1981.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	653217

Name:	Brady Street Winthrop Street 3 1981.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	653218

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob,

Great picture. Many thanks.

Bethnal Green police station appears to be a victim of the window tax, so I'm assuming it was built prior to 1851 when the tax was repealed. Details here—

Regards,

Simon
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                              Yeah, Outside. All dumb animals drink outside, lets why Im not allowed in.

You need a special license to let Horses drink inside. They cant play darts though. Not cos its illegal, cos they have hooves and cant grip the arrows properly.

Monty

Sometimes I worry myself.
                              Me too Mont..........

Name:	pubhorse1.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	653219

Name:	pubhorse2.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	653220

Suz x

Comment

• Thanks for posting these Suzi, thought I was imagining it all !!!
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X