is it any good?

I assume the movie was based on it?
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

I think it is terrific! Do read it, even if graphic novels aren't "your thing", as Moore has done a lot of research, as well as ample doses of imagination. He includes notes at the back, explaining which is which. The art is in black and white by Eddie Campbell.

One warning about the film of the same title starring Johnny Depp-- it has a different approach to the story, notably in the depiction of Abberline as a drug addict, which is NOT in the graphic novel. You will probably like Moore's version much better than the movie's.
    Last edited by Pcdunn; 10-29-2015, 06:32 AM. Reason: typo
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      I think it is terrific! Do read it, even if graphic novels aren't "your thing", as Moore has done a lot of research, as well as ample doses of imagination. He includes notes at the back, explaining which is which. The art is in black and white by Eddie Campbell.

One warning about the film of the same title starring Johnny Depp-- it has a different approach to the story, notably in the depiction of Abberline as a drug addict, which is NOT in the graphic novel. You will probably like Moore's version much better than the movie's.
      Thanks Pcdunn!
      Ill check it out.

BTW-loved the movie!! LOL. I know historically its bunk, but as a horror/thriller I think its a minor masterpiece.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        Has anyone read this book?
        is it any good?

I assume the movie was based on it?
        You must read this book!

It is a magnificent achievement.

Comment

It's a solid read and Moore's appendixes are good stuff too.

Though I have to totally disagree with your view on the movie.
          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

By far my favourite fictional book about the murders by far. It's worth it for the footnotes alone. The sheer depth in it is staggering. Surfing the net bit and you'll find quite it's a favourite of university thesis's. Sadly all the subtlety and h study of human psychology was stripped from the movie.
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

I agree, Dr. Strange. In fact, an animated adaptation of the graphic novel might be great, if they left in such amazing sequences as the comparison of Gull's day and that of one of the unfortunates (including "sleeping on the ropes"), all rendered in panels without speech.

I have heard "From Hell" is slated to appear on Fox Television, but whether as a full series or mini-series, live action or animated, I do not know. I hope Moore has more input in this version than in Depp's film.
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                I agree, Dr. Strange. In fact, an animated adaptation of the graphic novel might be great, if they left in such amazing sequences as the comparison of Gull's day and that of one of the unfortunates (including "sleeping on the ropes"), all rendered in panels without speech.

I have heard "From Hell" is slated to appear on Fox Television, but whether as a full series or mini-series, live action or animated, I do not know. I hope Moore has more input in this version than in Depp's film.
                It's being developed for FX. Live action limited run series, trying to play off the success they've had with Fargo. Moore refuses to have anything to do with adaptations of his stuff and the people behind this TV project are the same folks who produced the movie.
                That is assuming the project is still alive. It's been a year since news of it was released and FX had some 30 other similar movie to TV projects in development at the time.
                Last edited by Shaggyrand; 10-31-2015, 06:40 PM. Reason: Adding stuff and junk and stuff...
                I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Thanks for the information, Shaggy. I won't worry myself about missing this, if it ever gets on air, then...
                  ---------------
                  ---------------

Comment

I ordered this on Friday and it arrived Saturday .....haven't read a comic for years

Comment

There is a blog by Adam Curtis which contains an interesting collection of material related to Stephen Knight, culminating in ‘From Hell’.

Although it professes to be about 3 men (the other two being George Davis and Lord Lampton) Stephen Knight is the common thread.

Comment

Hello, NickB,

Very interesting blog you linked to above. I was amused to find most of the video clips covered by a black bar and the message, "This content doesn't seem to be working at present, please try again later." Some government conspiracy? Maybe, but more likely because I'm in the U.S.

Moore also wrote the graphic novel "V", which is very much about distrust of authority. American protesters affiliated with the Wall Street protests have adapted the blank white mask worn by the hero of "V", though I've also seen it at a comic book convention.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

The mask is actually a traditional "Guy Fawkes" mask.
                          "Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
                          Gun powder, treason and plot."

Which is why Moore used it and, of course, why parliament
                          was targeted.
                          dustymiller
                          aka drstrange

Comment

Thanks for the blog link, NickB. Since Bruce Robinson has just channelled Knight, it's a quite timely piece of paranoia.
                            dustymiller
                            aka drstrange

Comment

Working...
                            X