Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Abby,

No, that idea has never struck me. Why should it be about police?

The word does not contain any p, o, l, i or c.

Kind regards, Pierre
    Darn it! Well It should have struck you because it's a dam fine idea!

Ok. Well everyone keeps mentioning dictionary, so if you tried to look up Juwes you won't find it. The closest word to it is juvenile.

So therefore it reads:
    The juveniles are the men who will not be blamed for nothing.

Am I getting close?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig H View Post
      The other ones I get for "juwes" are:

Dues
      juice
      dukes
      jewels
      juries
      blues

Craig
      Craig

the point from Pierre’s post to me was that the misspelled words did not have to have the same number of letters as the correct versions, but all had the same first letter.
      therefore the word could be anything starting with J

Comment

Hi all
        Those are some good ideas. I especially like David's Jutes! LOL!

Pierre
        If none of our ideas are correct, please don't tell me your going the way of that old donston idea that Juwes is a misspelling, or a misreading (like you said in a recent post) of juives?

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
          Craig

the point from Pierre’s post to me was that the misspelled words did not have to have the same number of letters as the correct versions, but all had the same first letter.
          therefore the word could be anything starting with J
          That looks roughly like this
          Click image for larger version

Name:	embed.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	666594
          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            With all due respect to Bridewell, the logic of that statement escapes me.

Superintendent Arnold and Sir Charles Warren explained their decision to remove the message to the Home Office. It had nothing to do with an alleged nickname attributed to the City Police.
            Just for the record, it's not my logic. The quotation is from Paul Harrison's book, so the words (and logic) of the statement are his, not mine. I've not seen anywhere else that Juwes/Jewes/Jewries was a nickname the Met had for their City counterparts, but that doesn't mean it wasn't so at one time - or that it was.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Catherine Eddowes was killed next to an orange market. Joseph Barnett at the inquest claimed to be working as a fruit porter. So maybe it's "the juice" are not the men...

I think people are getting carried away here. Seems to be very reminiscent of the book "The Bible Code" which claimed that there were secret messages in the Bible. But then it was shown that if you looked hard enough you could find similar messages in "Moby Dick." I think the same principle is at work here. Put out enough possibilities and one of them is bound to make some sort of sense.

c.d.

Comment

agreed

Comment

I've just put Juwes into Google translate and it 'detected' it as being Afrikaans (pronounced yoovuss) but offered no translation. Juwe comes up as a Yoruba word meaning 'prescribe' ???????????

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    Catherine Eddowes was killed next to an orange market. Joseph Barnett at the inquest claimed to be working as a fruit porter. So maybe it's "the juice" are not the men...

I think people are getting carried away here. Seems to be very reminiscent of the book "The Bible Code" which claimed that there were secret messages in the Bible. But then it was shown that if you looked hard enough you could find similar messages in "Moby Dick." I think the same principle is at work here. Put out enough possibilities and one of them is bound to make some sort of sense.

c.d.
                    That's certainly fair comment but it does no harm to consider the alternatives, just in case the assumption that Jews are being referred to proves mistaken (however unlikely that may be).

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                      That's certainly fair comment but it does no harm to consider the alternatives, just in case the assumption that Jews are being referred to proves mistaken (however unlikely that may be).
                      Hello Bridewell,

Yes, agree with you that it does no harm. But even if we do find something that seems that it could be a real possibility, we still have no way of knowing if that is what the author meant. And unfortunately there is always the possibility that he was simply a piss poor speller.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                        I've just put Juwes into Google translate and it 'detected' it as being Afrikaans (pronounced yoovuss) but offered no translation. Juwe comes up as a Yoruba word meaning 'prescribe' ???????????
                        Afrikaans evolved from the Dutch language and was spoken by most South Africans.

Guess who served there before becoming head of the Met Police?

Hint,he had the GSG removed
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

David

I missed that one.

could be any i suggested or how about
                          jupes

Several articles of clothing are called jupe:
                          In modern English, jupe usually refers to a style of skirt.
                          Jupe (jacket) or jupe panels also refers to a style of jacket.
                          Jupe, in Central European hip hop fashion refers to baggy pants (trousers).

men in a certain style of clothing?
                          Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.
                          Ah... Now what if I tell you that in some places "Jupe" and "Joop" has been used as a diminutive and alternate for "Joseph"? I think that's it! Joey "The Juice" Barnett was signing his work.

Yeah... I don't buy it, or the GSG honestly, either.
                          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

ok
                            however if we do not know how many letters are in the word the options are very large indeed.

if we for sake of argument look at 5 letter words we could have:

Johns
                            Jakes
                            or Jacks.

however i see no resaon to assume any such change of spelling is justified

regards

Judas! A five-letter proper name with a wealth of symbology behind it, as well as beginning with "Ju" and ending in "s".
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

Hi Pat

Great pick up ! Well done !

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                                It's so easy.

The Jutes are the men who will not be blamed for nothing.

Jute n. member of Low German tribe that settled in Britain in 5th-6th c.

Thanks Pierre, you've led me to the solution. We are looking to blame a German or a Dane (for nothing).
                                Hi David,

Is it plausible that Jack the Ripper knew about the "jutes" and had any interest in them?

After the analysis of data we always interpret the data.

What would you, as a sociologist, say about it; do you see a plausible reason to think that the "jutes" is in the interest of the killer?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Working...
                                X