One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    isn't there some kind of book out there called the diary of jack the ripper by or about someone named Carnac? supposed to be non fiction?

my daughter picked it up a few years ago and I glanced at it briefly and saw there was a forward by Paul Begg (or maybe Rumbelow)? It seemed to be written in an old fashioned writing style. Anyway we lost it and I haven't been able to find it.

does anyone know anything about this?
    Hi Abby

yes i have it, the audio book is truly a good listen.

seems obviously a work of fiction, divided into 3 parts.

The early life section is good, the killing section is ok, but too flowery and does read like someones idea of how it took place.

The last section is very contrived.

However overall much better than some of the alleged theories that are posted

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
      I've never been away, just observing from a distance.
      As for Soothsayer, I have a feeling he was banned on here.
      For what ...I don't know, but he is sorely missed.
      He seems to have stopped posting in May 2012. In one of his final posts in that month he signed himself off as:

"Soothy Soothsayer
      BSc (Hons) Iconoclasty"

An iconoclast being someone who assails or attacks cherished beliefs. So it seems that Soothy Soothsayer inspired a new generation!

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
        He seems to have stopped posting in May 2012. In one of his final posts in that month he signed himself off as:

"Soothy Soothsayer
        BSc (Hons) Iconoclasty"

An iconoclast being someone who assails or attacks cherished beliefs. So it seems that Soothy Soothsayer inspired a new generation!
        Indeed he has ... although "soothsayer" was he's second incarnation, maybe he's still on here under another name.

surely not " Icono........" no can't be.

Comment

• So, now having my intrest regenerated , back to the business of Maybrick..
          I recall some years back on one of the threads on this subject, a well respected ripper historian and author stated categorically that he knew the person/persons responsible for forging the diary and forming the hoax.
          Well with this information, said historian could have put this whole episode to bed.....he didnt and still hasn't.
          Even when claiming this whole thing has been bad for ripper ology and pushed back the study of the case by years.
          And so until the said Imformation is forth coming, this angle of the case is far from dead for me.

Regards

Comment

So, now having my intrest regenerated ...
            And so until the said Imformation is forth coming, this angle of the case is far from dead for me.
            Music to my ears ...
            Iconoclast
            Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

I recall some years back on one of the threads on this subject, a well respected ripper historian and author stated categorically that he knew the person/persons responsible for forging the diary and forming the hoax.
              Well with this information, said historian could have put this whole episode to bed.....he didnt and still hasn't.
              Pierre????

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                Pierre????
                Hi,
                If you're asking if the Ripper historian/author was Pierre, no it wasn't.
                Let's just say he is one of the famous ones.
                It got a bit heated on which ever thread it was at the time, and so I'm not going to go down that route again.
                But it always struck me as strange in that everyone can disagree nicely on certain candidates, yet mention Maybrick .and see how defensive some people got....and I mean big time defensive.

Regards.

Comment

• >> ...it always struck me as strange in that everyone can disagree nicely on certain candidates, yet mention Maybrick ...<<

Try going through a Lechmere thread ... or a Thompson thread ... or a Druitt thread ... or a ... ;-)

I don't think the threads aren't available anymore, but there was a poster called Karen T, anything that involves A.V.O.'s is pretty serious!
                  dustymiller
                  aka drstrange

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post

>> ...it always struck me as strange in that everyone can disagree nicely on certain candidates, yet mention Maybrick ...<<

Try going through a Lechmere thread ... or a Thompson thread ... or a Druitt thread ... or a ... ;-)

I don't think the threads aren't available anymore, but there was a poster called Karen T, anything that involves A.V.O.'s is pretty serious!
                    Yep any suspect.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Yep any suspect.
                      i don't think this is strictly true at all. The level of abuse and vitriol on Maybrick threads is rarely matched elsewhere and - if it is - only temporarily until calm is restored. Some characters who post are more consistently villified than others, but rarely in the terms reserved for those who dare to support the Maybrick journal on Maybrick threads. I personally believe that that creates an environment of fear on the Maybrick threads where only the righteous doubters post, leaving those who feel the case has not yet been lost (pardon the pun) to read rather than reply. I think this thread is a great example. Where threads rarely get into the tens of thousands in terms of reads, this truly is The Greatest Thread of All with an astonishing 308,000 reads over eight years. That tells me that an awful lot more people read than reply, and my suspicion is that they don't post because they can't face the vitriol coming their way.

The likes of Spyglass keep an open mind and post accordingly. Not everyone has his balls, and I don't particularly blame them for it. It would be insightful if more people who still feel the case for the journal can be made came forward and spoke up. That might quieten down the raucous self-congratulatory cackling of the chattering classes, and give the journal an opportunity to be more equitably reviewed (or at least discussed).

There is little doubt that the journal appears to have all of the hallmarks of a cheap hoax, but until it is categorically proven to be so, it has a provenence back to Battlecrease, it came to light from a line which bears the very surname Florence Maybrick used on her leaving gaol, and its contents have not yet been proven unequivocally to be the pantomime or errors people casually come on here and claim.

All that glitters is not gold, so they say. Equally, gold doesn't always glitter.

Just saying is all.

Ike
                      Last edited by Iconoclast; 09-09-2016, 01:05 AM.
                      Iconoclast

Comment

• I'd have to say

Lechmere
                        Druitt
                        May brick

Probably in that order for the most heated suspect threads,

With Van Gogh if anyone took him serious as a suspect at the top of the list.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          I'd have to say

Lechmere
                          Druitt
                          May brick

Probably in that order for the most heated suspect threads,

With Van Gogh if anyone took him serious as a suspect at the top of the list.
                          Well, if this is true then it's a shame that so much vitriol is shed on this Casebook across so many threads.

My point remains, however: The vitriol puts the casual reader off replying; and I would like to make a call to them to be reassured that people like Spyglass and me (at very least) will always spring to their defence if anyone attacks a reasoned and reasonable post. Can't always guarantee that ours will be so, but we don't care. We have broad shoulders and even broader swords.

Ike
                          Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
                            Well, if this is true then it's a shame that so much vitriol is shed on this Casebook across so many threads.

My point remains, however: The vitriol puts the casual reader off replying; and I would like to make a call to them to be reassured that people like Spyglass and me (at very least) will always spring to their defence if anyone attacks a reasoned and reasonable post. Can't always guarantee that ours will be so, but we don't care. We have broad shoulders and even broader swords.

Ike
                            There we go, nigh-on a hundred reads since my first post of the morning - so many many people are reading this stuff. What do you guys think? We need to hear your voices, please!

Ike
                            Iconoclast

Comment

There we go, nigh-on a hundred reads since my first post of the morning - so many many people are reading this stuff. What do you guys think? We need to hear your voices, please!

Ike
                              Who are you all?
                              Iconoclast

Comment

Ike
                                The Vitriol is usually written in my opinion to put off people who for whatever reason want to promote ludicrous suspects. Which I believe is a good thing.

Cheers John

Comment

Working...
                                X