Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Observer View Post
    Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
    What is particularly fun is that they were both taken for George R Sims' 1901 epic LIVING LONDON, by which time all the women had been dead for 13 years.

PHILIP
    Hi Philip

If you look at the first sentence in my post (#1) then you'll see I did say "to be taken with a pinch of salt". But even if those photos did appear in George R Sims' 1901 epic LIVING LONDON, who's to say they weren't old stock, and were actually taken in 1888?
    "... I did say "to be taken with a pinch of salt"."

Quite frankly, Observer, it needs to be taken as an outright impossibility !!!

"... who's to say they weren't old stock, and were actually taken in 1888?"

I am !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	310.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	653071
    56 Flower & Dean Street (aka "The White House"), Christ Church Spitalfields

Regardless of any publications, in which this photograph may have appeared, it can be said with absolute certainty that it was taken after the construction of Nathaniel Dwellings, which was completed in late 1892.

The iron fence and balcony seen in the left background, were part of Nathaniel Dwellings, which replaced the north side of Flower & Dean Street (#'s 30-55), as stated above, in 1892. Catherine Eddowes's lodgings, at 55 Flower & Dean Street, stood precisely where the photograph's depiction of the eastern end of Nathaniel Dwellings can be seen.

So, when this photograph was taken: Not only was Catherine Eddowes long-gone; so too were her lodgings. And John Kelly, of course, had since moved elsewhere.

Name:	311.jpg
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	653072
    1873 OS
    Green: 55 Flower & Dean Street, Christ Church Spitalfields
    Red: 56 Flower & Dean Street (aka "The White House"), Christ Church Spitalfields

Name:	313.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	653073
    Map used in 1876, by The Whitechapel District of The Metropolitan Board of Works, for the development of "The Flower & Dean Street Improvement Plan"
    Green: 55 Flower & Dean Street, Christ Church Spitalfields
    Red: 56 Flower & Dean Street (aka "The White House"), Christ Church Spitalfields

Rob will be able to confirm this, but I have a feeling that they were renumbered at some point as well? I think The White House was at 56 F&D and on the map here, 56 is one of the smallest buildings, which would surprise me.

"... I have a feeling that they were renumbered at some point ..."

Actually, Philip, they were not !!!

The Flower & Dean Street numbering remained intact to the end.

Name:	312.jpg
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	653077
    1894 OS
    Blue:
    Nathaniel Dwellings, Flower & Dean Street, Christ Church Spitalfields

Name:	315.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	653075
    Flower & Dean Street, Christ Church Spitalfields
    "The People of the Abyss"
    , by Jack London, 1902

The balconies and iron fencing of Nathaniel Dwellings are readily apparent, and the wall-lamps of "The White House" (#56) can be seen in the distance.

The four-or-five common lodging houses, which stood at the eastern end of Flower & Dean Street, survived its redevelopment and continued catering to Gentile prostitutes, thieves and yobs long after the remaining portion of the thoroughfare had become a row of model dwellings, catering almost exclusively to Eastern European Jewish immigrants. According to Jerry White, the Jewish inhabitants of these model dwellings did not venture into the very eastern end of the street at any time, for any reason; unless in large number.

Name:	314.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	653076
    Former Site of 56 Flower & Dean Street (aka "The White House"), Christ Church Spitalfields
    circa, early 1960's
    more-or-less, the same view as that of the photograph in question

"The White House"
    was severely damaged by German bombing in 1917, and was either re-modeled or replaced.

Colin

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	653074

Comment

Great piece of sleuth-work, Colin
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Ah, I was commenting without having any reference material with me and do you know why? Because I couldn't be bothered! Good work, Seppy.

Observer - point taken about the jokey nature of the thread, and I did see you say that in the first place, but people were starting to make semi-serious comments about the liklihood of those famous images containing a Ripper victim so I felt I had to step in before it got out of hand.

Celesta - my postcard comment was an answer to someone asking when postcards were first in use. Nothing to do with an enquiry about postcards of the relevant locations.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Great work Colin,

fantastic pics and maps as always.

Our Friend in France would have us believe it is the Ghost of Mary Kelly sat there!
          Regards Mike

Comment

Ah, I was commenting without having any reference material with me and do you know why? Because I couldn't be bothered! Good work, Seppy.

Observer - point taken about the jokey nature of the thread, and I did see you say that in the first place, but people were starting to make semi-serious comments about the liklihood of those famous images containing a Ripper victim so I felt I had to step in before it got out of hand.

Celesta - my postcard comment was an answer to someone asking when postcards were first in use. Nothing to do with an enquiry about postcards of the relevant locations.

PHILIP

Thanks, Philip.
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

You've been Keaned

PHILIP
              No problems Philip. Apart from Septic Blue, I doubt whether anyone took my assertion too seriously anyway, you know looking at the date of his post I can't even blame his reprimand on the Robbie Keane equaliser last night, 88th minute no less

Come on you Spurs

Observer

Comment

The four scorer's

Hi Colin

I'm always Keane to admit when I'm wrong, but in effect what you are saying is if the photo was taken in 1888 then those railings in the photo would not be there. Would the railings have a Woodgate? Those Street women in the photo Huddle the kerb Stones do they not? And the well dressed man in the
                Dorset Street photo, I wonder if it could be George Chapman? You know the one, the Barbertoff.

Observer
                Last edited by Observer; 03-20-2008, 06:34 PM. Reason: to add a title

Comment

Nice thread this. Thanks for sorting out the location of the no56 for me, went down there the other day inside the Lolesworth estate, and one can get a pretty good idea of the streets old line by looking west to the Commercial St end.
                  I think its reasonable to say theres a decent chance the women in the photo may have known some of the victims,at least by sight, anyway.
                  Regards more phots turning up, I agree with you Celesta. Theres bound to be more,somwhere, hasnt there?

Comment

Working...
                  X