Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    On Saturday we have a game between:

New York City Football Club v's Columbus Crew Soccer Club.

Go figure...
    Isn't this the US pro league? I thought it was the NY Red Bull's?
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      I thought we were the only ones to call it soccer. Don't they call in football in England?
      Yep.

They're trying hard to get it called Football here, but I think most people call is soccer.

Up to a few years back even the official name included soccer, then they changed it to football.

It's now the FFA (Foitball Federation Australia)

It was Australian Soccer Association and then the National Soccer League.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Yep.

They're trying hard to get it called Football here, but I think most people call is soccer.

Up to a few years back even the official name included soccer, then they changed it to football.

It's now the FFA (Foitball Federation Australia)

It was Australian Soccer Association and then the National Soccer League.
        Do you know what they call it in England? I assumed football, but now you've got me thinking.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Do you know what they call it in England? I assumed football, but now you've got me thinking.
          Don't think you will here it called anything other than Football in England.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Isn't this the US pro league? I thought it was the NY Red Bull's?
            This is the MLS (Major League Soccer), both the NY Red Bulls and NYCFC are in the MLS.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

did you see that American Brian Shaw won his fourth WSM competition?
              What a beast-and he played college Basketball!?!
              Hes chasing Mariusz Pudzianowski who has five titles. Pudzian has my total respect as he also competes and is pretty successful at MMA, my favorite sport.
              The most impressive things I've seen re: Mariusz is his training vids. The weights he uses and the ease with which he moves them is unreal.

Comment

• another reason I find Baseball fascinating-Trea turner for the Nats just hit for the cycle and the highlights were exciting. such a cool sport.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Oh did you see the Chris Coghlan highlight from last night!!!!

not sure if that will load.... but AMAZING!!!!

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                    Oh did you see the Chris Coghlan highlight from last night!!!!

not sure if that will load.... but AMAZING!!!!

Steadmund Brand
                    yeah-saw that too!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                      On Saturday we have a game between:

New York City Football Club v's Columbus Crew Soccer Club.

Go figure...
                      I wanted it renamed to be Columbus Crew FC, but I was in the minority. At least we no longer have the most awful logo in the MLS. That's progress.
                      - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                        I wanted it renamed to be Columbus Crew FC, but I was in the minority. At least we no longer have the most awful logo in the MLS. That's progress.
                        yeah I like there new logo much better. whats the significance to the word crew-is it like workers or something? and of the number 96 in the logo?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

yeah I like there new logo much better. whats the significance to the word crew-is it like workers or something? and of the number 96 in the logo?
                          It's supposed to be like a crew of construction workers. That's why we had that embarassing logo with the guys in hardhats. That was supposed to symbolize the blue-collar support for soccer, which generated about as much enthusiasm as you'd expect in what's largely a government and university town anyway. The team was founded in '96, hence that number.

And, I think the reason for the hardhat imagery in the first place is that the stadium is literally abutting the central state highway maintenance depot. Huge barns full of salt, big piles of orange barrels, lots of trucks and highway machines, etc. The State Historical Museum, State Police Academy, and State Fairgrounds are all more or less adjoining as well, so we could have ended up as the Columbus Curators, Columbus Cops, or Columbus Carnies, I suppose.
                          Last edited by Ginger; 04-26-2017, 09:05 PM. Reason: Afterthought
                          - Ginger

Comment

It's supposed to be like a crew of construction workers. That's why we had that embarassing logo with the guys in hardhats. That was supposed to symbolize the blue-collar support for soccer, which generated about as much enthusiasm as you'd expect in what's largely a government and university town anyway. The team was founded in '96, hence that number.

And, I think the reason for the hardhat imagery in the first place is that the stadium is literally abutting the central state highway maintenance depot. Huge barns full of salt, big piles of orange barrels, lots of trucks and highway machines, etc. The State Historical Museum, State Police Academy, and State Fairgrounds are all more or less adjoining as well, so we could have ended up as the Columbus Curators, Columbus Cops, or Columbus Carnies, I suppose.
                            thanks Ginger. ive always been interested in how teams get there logos, names etc.
                            My favorite tie in is with my favorite pro football team the Baltimore Ravens-cool name, logo, colors and tie in with Poe.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi, Ginger. I came to Columbus in 96 (on a government contract!). I was sure those guys in the logo (and the name itself) represented the fact that the roads were constantly under construction ("were" may be the incorrect word to use). Anyway. I went to one game, I think it was in 98 or 99. The thing I remember most was the fans. What complete asses they were. These were people I heard lamenting the fact that soccer wasn't popular in the states....only they became very prickly if anyone tried to join their little club. They were awful to newcomers who didn't know as much as they did and behaved as if anyone not indoctrinated into the sport's subculture at an early age had no business crashing their party. I never went back (full disclosure I find watching the sport something akin to watching paint dry...but if there was such a thing as competitive paint drying I'd probably watch it).

I'm still in Columbus. But, as far as The Crew goes, I could not tell you one thing about them. I don't know if they are good or bad, if they've won or not won, if they are prospering or on the verge of being run out of town. And I'm a huge sports fan. I can tell you who is leading each MLB division, who's up in the NBA and NHL playoffs. Tomorrow I'll be able to run down the NFL draft top to bottom. But, I cannot tell you one player from the Crew. I can't tell you the name of any player that EVERY played for the crew. All I know is they have buck a brat night sometimes because I hear that commercial on the radio during 8 minute commute to work downtown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                                Hi, Ginger. I came to Columbus in 96 (on a government contract!). I was sure those guys in the logo (and the name itself) represented the fact that the roads were constantly under construction ("were" may be the incorrect word to use). Anyway. I went to one game, I think it was in 98 or 99. The thing I remember most was the fans. What complete asses they were. These were people I heard lamenting the fact that soccer wasn't popular in the states....only they became very prickly if anyone tried to join their little club. They were awful to newcomers who didn't know as much as they did and behaved as if anyone not indoctrinated into the sport's subculture at an early age had no business crashing their party. I never went back (full disclosure I find watching the sport something akin to watching paint dry...but if there was such a thing as competitive paint drying I'd probably watch it).

I'm still in Columbus. But, as far as The Crew goes, I could not tell you one thing about them. I don't know if they are good or bad, if they've won or not won, if they are prospering or on the verge of being run out of town. And I'm a huge sports fan. I can tell you who is leading each MLB division, who's up in the NBA and NHL playoffs. Tomorrow I'll be able to run down the NFL draft top to bottom. But, I cannot tell you one player from the Crew. I can't tell you the name of any player that EVERY played for the crew. All I know is they have buck a brat night sometimes because I hear that commercial on the radio during 8 minute commute to work downtown.
                                I was sure those guys in the logo (and the name itself) represented the fact that the roads were constantly under construction
                                LOL! now that's funny

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X