Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Thanks Joshua
    Ive always thought that the cat waking her was because it either was disturbed by the killer entering her room, or perhaps, she had the timing off a bit and the cat was agitated by the smell of blood.

Ive had cats and they get agitated (hungry?)when they smell blood.
    I don't doubt they do Abby, but it seems a long way for the smell of blood to travel, and as you say would require Prater to be confused about timings. Besides, in my experience, kittens - being generally nocturnal and full of mischief - really don't need such an excuse to jump on your face at 4 in the morning!

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      I don't doubt they do Abby, but it seems a long way for the smell of blood to travel, and as you say would require Prater to be confused about timings. Besides, in my experience, kittens - being generally nocturnal and full of mischief - really don't need such an excuse to jump on your face at 4 in the morning!
      this is true. LOL!
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        Hi Rocky,

well, what makes you think it is unlikely - and what could the alternative(s) be?

Regards Pierre
        Hi Pierre,
        A bit late I know, but how about the cry of "oh murder" was in fact Kelly coming home to find a murdered body laying in her room.
        It would be enough to make you vomit for a long time, even up to 8/8.30 the following morning.

regards

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          Hi,

1. What happened between 1.30 and 3.30/3.45 in Kelly´s room?

2. Why did Prater hear "Oh, murder!"?

3."I left the room on the Thursday at five p.m., and returned to it at about one a.m. on Friday morning. I stood at the corner until about twenty minutes past one. No one spoke to me. McCarthy's shop was open, and I called in, and then went to my room. I should have seen a glimmer of light in going up the stairs if there had been a light in deceased's room, but I noticed none. The partition was so thin I could have heard Kelly walk about in the room. I went to bed at half-past one and barricaded the door with two tables. I fell asleep directly and slept soundly. A kitten disturbed me about half-past three o'clock or a quarter to four. As I was turning round I heard a suppressed cry of "Oh - murder!" in a faint voice. "

Regards Pierre
          1. Mary passed out after letting Blotchy out.
          2. Mary exclaimed that in annoyance at finding someone softly knocking at her door or window at almost 3:45am, while she was sleeping off her binge. She made the exclamation at her open door..which explains both how Elizabeth heard it and Sarah.
          3. Diddles woke when the door or window on Marys room was tapped upon.

The easiest answers are often the ones embraced last.
          Michael Richards

Comment

• I've just noticed a possible explanation for the cry of "Oh, murder!", and why such cries were common, in an article about policing from the Star 3rd Oct;

The police are so fenced in by rules and regulations that they seem to be afraid to act on their own responsibility in a grave emergency. If a deadly fight is taking place in a house they will not enter unless they hear cries of "Murder"

Comment

• Hi Joshua,

I guess she was thinking that a couple of cops might have been patrolling Millers Court.

It's funny the things people imagine.

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• You're such a cynic, Simon. I'm sure in Kelly's case it would have been less a conscious thought process than a desperate, forlorn hope.
                But the fact that any PC who did happen to be patrolling outside a private dwelling would be unable or unwilling to enter without this magic word - even if he could hear other screams and cries of obvious distress from within - explains (to me at least) the prevalence of a cry which seems so odd to modern ears.

Comment

• I don't know how some of these easier to answer questions keep stumping people.

"oh, murder"...heard by Sarah and Elizabeth. By Sarah, "as if at her door", by Elizabeth, "as if from the court". Not one single sound was heard after that by either woman, and one lived upstairs and could hear when Mary moved furniture around in her room. Ergo..."oh, murder" does not signal a murder was commencing.

The simplest and easiest answer to what was meant by 'oh, murder" is this...Mary heard a knock on her door or window...(diddles awoke upstairs, waking Elizabeth)..and when she groggily answers the door she exclaims "oh, murder" in the same way someone would exclaim "oh, ****" today. It was just dismay at finding someone she wasn't expecting at 4am knocking her up.

This was of course her killer. And it would seem she quietly lets him in,...which answers another question, did she know her attacker? Unequivocally, yes.
                  Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                    The simplest and easiest answer to what was meant by 'oh, murder" is this...Mary heard a knock on her door or window...(diddles awoke upstairs, waking Elizabeth)..and when she groggily answers the door she exclaims "oh, murder" in the same way someone would exclaim "oh, ****" today. It was just dismay at finding someone she wasn't expecting at 4am knocking her up.
                    You seriously think that is "the simplest and easiest answer"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                      I don't know how some of these easier to answer questions keep stumping people.

"oh, murder"...heard by Sarah and Elizabeth. By Sarah, "as if at her door", by Elizabeth, "as if from the court". Not one single sound was heard after that by either woman, and one lived upstairs and could hear when Mary moved furniture around in her room. Ergo..."oh, murder" does not signal a murder was commencing.

This was of course her killer. And it would seem she quietly lets him in,...which answers another question, did she know her attacker? Unequivocally, yes.
                      There is no evidence that Prater recognized the voice she heard. Why?

Pierre
                      Last edited by Pierre; 04-21-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Hi Joshua,

And you're such a romantic.

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Following the murder of Martha Tabram, Francis Hewitt, the superintendent of the George Yard Buildings, and his wife, told a reporter for the East London Observer (as published on 18 August 1888):

'the district round here is rather rough, and cries of 'Murder' are of frequent, if not nightly, occurrence in the district.'

Thus corroborating the evidence of Elizabeth Prater some three months later.

Comment

I've just noticed a possible explanation for the cry of "Oh, murder!", and why such cries were common, in an article about policing from the Star 3rd Oct;

The police are so fenced in by rules and regulations that they seem to be afraid to act on their own responsibility in a grave emergency. If a deadly fight is taking place in a house they will not enter unless they hear cries of "Murder"
                            I think this is a plausible explanation. I have a few other thoughts on the matter. Instead of Kelly crying out for a policeman she was crying out for a friendly or inquisitive neighbour. It was Kelly's neighbours in Miller's Court who could have aided her during the attack. It was her neighbours who would have had to drag themselves out of bed to investigate the incident. I think a blood curdling scream would have been Kelly's likely reaction to a mortal threat, but "oh murder" may have been second best. Also, thinking out loud but if Kelly initially felt in danger but not mortal danger she need not have screamed in absolute terror(as I suspect most would when being attacked with a knife).

"Oh murder" sounds awfully like a cry from a Victorian novel. I wonder if the fiction styles of the mid Victorian period had seeped into popular use in the LVP. "Oh murder" may also have been polite rendition of "oh fu.ck". This politeness is either Kelly's or her neighbours or the Newspapers.

Comment

You're such a cynic, Simon. I'm sure in Kelly's case it would have been less a conscious thought process than a desperate, forlorn hope.
                              But the fact that any PC who did happen to be patrolling outside a private dwelling would be unable or unwilling to enter without this magic word - even if he could hear other screams and cries of obvious distress from within - explains (to me at least) the prevalence of a cry which seems so odd to modern ears.
                              Nice find Josh
                              to me it just establishes that mary was crying out and felt she was in mortal danger.
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                                Following the murder of Martha Tabram, Francis Hewitt, the superintendent of the George Yard Buildings, and his wife, told a reporter for the East London Observer (as published on 18 August 1888):

'the district round here is rather rough, and cries of 'Murder' are of frequent, if not nightly, occurrence in the district.'

Thus corroborating the evidence of Elizabeth Prater some three months later.

Did Prater state that she could recognize the voice?

Did Prater state that she had heard the voice of Kelly?

Pierre

Comment

Working...
                                X