Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    It is now being reported that the Secret Service will rent a floor at Trump tower to create a command center to protect Trump.
    A floor typically rents for about $1.5 million, according to CNN. The Secret Service will be paying Trump to protect him.
    He's starting to milk the system already?
    That's the least of my worries. And considering how violent the opposition has been I don't blame him or the secret service. Good idea.

And if he cuts waste and helps the economy, it's a drop in the bucket. And well worth it. Let's see how he does.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      That's the least of my worries. And considering how violent the opposition has been I don't blame him or the secret service. Good idea.

And if he cuts waste and helps the economy, it's a drop in the bucket. And well worth it. Let's see how he does.
      Since 2011, unemployment is down, consumption is up, and inflation is down while GDP is up.
      Those are all positive numbers considering where the US was when the Republicans left power.
      Discover current economic reports for the United States with forecasts, data and reports from globally renowned economists.

America is already great.

I want to see how Trump handles North Korea and his buddy Putin.

I think Putin is happy to have Comrade Trump heading for the White House so he can begin negotiations to get Alaska back.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It is now being reported that the Secret Service will rent a floor at Trump tower to create a command center to protect Trump.
        A floor typically rents for about $1.5 million, according to CNN. The Secret Service will be paying Trump to protect him.
        He's starting to milk the system already?
        On another forum, they're debating whether this is "conflict of interest" or "just the way Washington works".

I've heard that Mrs. Trump and the youngest son are staying in Trump Tower, rather than moving into the White House. If true, it makes sense for the Secret Service to have a branch headquarters at the Tower. Wonder if Trump's immediate family will ever move into the Residence?
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          On another forum, they're debating whether this is "conflict of interest" or "just the way Washington works".

I've heard that Mrs. Trump and the youngest son are staying in Trump Tower, rather than moving into the White House. If true, it makes sense for the Secret Service to have a branch headquarters at the Tower. Wonder if Trump's immediate family will ever move into the Residence?
          Yes, CNN reported that Mrs. T. doesn't want to move in to the W.H. It was speculated months ago that Trump didn't even want to move in because the W.H. was not up to his standards, gold taps, marble floors and wall-to-wall mirrors, etc.
          He doesn't want to lower himself....

This is the same guy who wants to identify with the struggling middle-class....what a load of B.S., and they bought it hook, line and s(t)inker.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Trump has no clue how the middle class lives, nor does he care. His favorite tactic of managing expenses is to deny paying those middle class people what they were owed. His lone business acumen consists of marketing his name. Every other business he was responsible for has failed or had control taken away from him.
            He is the absolute definition of autocentric. Incredibly thin skinned as well as detached from reality.
            The incredible level of conflicted interests he has will cause new laws to be written. His family's security expenses alone will be astronomical, and he will make actually make money off of the taxpayers just so they can avoid living in the White House.
            He will do his best to turn the US government into Trump, Inc.
            Now, he has already come to grips that running a campaign and being president aren't the same. You could tell when he had his meeting with Obama, he heard things that weren't going to be managed with slogans. But he doesn't read, he doesn't study, he doesn't do details. Kind of like Bush, only with far more ego. He can manipulate like an expert, though.
            He is a believer in trickle down theory, an incredibly failed concept that people keep attempting mostly because those rich guys get richer and the poor get poorer. Tax cuts on personal income do not generate jobs. A cut in corporate rates probably will. He wants both, with the top one percent getting a proposed 13 percent tax cut while the middle class gets perhaps 2, some may even owe more under his proposals. It's pretty simple to see if those basic tenets are working as we speak, look at the difference in certain State economies. States running on trickle down theory, such as Kansas and Texas, high unemployment, low GDP, no money for services or infrastructure. California has higher taxes and regulations, low unemployment, high GDP. It's not like the US economy needs saving. Inflation is low, unemployment is low.
            As for his campaign promises, he has set a record in breaking them before even taking office. The wall never had a chance, it's economically impossible. He has back pedaled on some of his protectionist ideas, he has to. You can't do that without tanking the economy, as much as people would love to have all factory work in country, the US is a post-industrial country, essentially a country of middlemen selling products or concepts, not assembly line laborers. The days of graduating high school and having a good factory job waiting for you is gone, you have to learn something. Kind of like horse drawn wagon makers facing the automobile future. Coal power is segueing naturally into solar power or natural gas. workers need to adapt and reeducate themselves or get left behind. Towns do die from a change of demand, it's been happening for decades. Huge iPhone type factories in China that employ 60,000 people can't be built here without spending a decade doing so, and guess what, in twenty years that factory will close due to a continued change in demand.
            Sino-American relations are actually okay, backing out of the TPP will cause other current trading partners to switch allegiances to China. Our economy will suffer and our leadership in the world will be greatly diminished. Isolationism and protectionism is folly, one must understand the global economy and that small changes can cause big problems. Sure, it's not perfect, few things ever are, but small tweaks are far better for everyone than a simple screw you, I'm done.
            And don't even get me started on his climate change position. If he backs out of the Paris accords so will others, and we will probably pass the tipping point if we haven't already.
            I'd like my grand daughter to have a good life. I foresee severe drought, food shortages, and harder road to a good life. Continued education will be key. Mine is the first generation that did not exceed the successes of their parents, and it will continue to do so as the rich get richer and the middle class disappears. Her life expectancy is probably going to be 150-200 years. She won't have a career, most likel. Few people will. Technology grows exponentially and people will have a great many jobs in their life should they live that long. I can't imagine having a work career that essentially would have been from the Civil War to today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Allen View Post
              Trump has no clue how the middle class lives, nor does he care. His favorite tactic of managing expenses is to deny paying those middle class people what they were owed. His lone business acumen consists of marketing his name. Every other business he was responsible for has failed or had control taken away from him.
              He is the absolute definition of autocentric. Incredibly thin skinned as well as detached from reality.
              The incredible level of conflicted interests he has will cause new laws to be written. His family's security expenses alone will be astronomical, and he will make actually make money off of the taxpayers just so they can avoid living in the White House.
              He will do his best to turn the US government into Trump, Inc.
              Now, he has already come to grips that running a campaign and being president aren't the same. You could tell when he had his meeting with Obama, he heard things that weren't going to be managed with slogans. But he doesn't read, he doesn't study, he doesn't do details. Kind of like Bush, only with far more ego. He can manipulate like an expert, though.
              He is a believer in trickle down theory, an incredibly failed concept that people keep attempting mostly because those rich guys get richer and the poor get poorer. Tax cuts on personal income do not generate jobs. A cut in corporate rates probably will. He wants both, with the top one percent getting a proposed 13 percent tax cut while the middle class gets perhaps 2, some may even owe more under his proposals. It's pretty simple to see if those basic tenets are working as we speak, look at the difference in certain State economies. States running on trickle down theory, such as Kansas and Texas, high unemployment, low GDP, no money for services or infrastructure. California has higher taxes and regulations, low unemployment, high GDP. It's not like the US economy needs saving. Inflation is low, unemployment is low.
              As for his campaign promises, he has set a record in breaking them before even taking office. The wall never had a chance, it's economically impossible. He has back pedaled on some of his protectionist ideas, he has to. You can't do that without tanking the economy, as much as people would love to have all factory work in country, the US is a post-industrial country, essentially a country of middlemen selling products or concepts, not assembly line laborers. The days of graduating high school and having a good factory job waiting for you is gone, you have to learn something. Kind of like horse drawn wagon makers facing the automobile future. Coal power is segueing naturally into solar power or natural gas. workers need to adapt and reeducate themselves or get left behind. Towns do die from a change of demand, it's been happening for decades. Huge iPhone type factories in China that employ 60,000 people can't be built here without spending a decade doing so, and guess what, in twenty years that factory will close due to a continued change in demand.
              Sino-American relations are actually okay, backing out of the TPP will cause other current trading partners to switch allegiances to China. Our economy will suffer and our leadership in the world will be greatly diminished. Isolationism and protectionism is folly, one must understand the global economy and that small changes can cause big problems. Sure, it's not perfect, few things ever are, but small tweaks are far better for everyone than a simple screw you, I'm done.
              And don't even get me started on his climate change position. If he backs out of the Paris accords so will others, and we will probably pass the tipping point if we haven't already.
              I'd like my grand daughter to have a good life. I foresee severe drought, food shortages, and harder road to a good life. Continued education will be key. Mine is the first generation that did not exceed the successes of their parents, and it will continue to do so as the rich get richer and the middle class disappears. Her life expectancy is probably going to be 150-200 years. She won't have a career, most likel. Few people will. Technology grows exponentially and people will have a great many jobs in their life should they live that long. I can't imagine having a work career that essentially would have been from the Civil War to today.
              You hit just about all of the talking points there. Any thoughts of your own or do you just parrot from the DNC, NYT, MSNBC, and WaPo? And that was just your first post! Can we look forward to any thoughts on Jack the Ripper or are you just going to join the handwringing and anti-Trump tirades in Pub Talk? In any event...welcome to Casebook.
              Last edited by Patrick S; 11-29-2016, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                You hit just about all of the talking points there. Any thoughts of your own or do you just parrot from the DNC, NYT, MSNBC, and WaPo? And that was just your first post! Can we look forward to any thoughts on Jack the Ripper or are you just going to join the handwringing and anti-Trump tirades in Pub Talk? In any event...welcome to Casebook.
                I joined a couple of years ago, but I'm not expert enough to post knowledgeably on the Ripper, nor is this my first post. Pub posts do not count.
                These points may be considered parroting by you, but I don't watch MSNBC, read the Post, or belong to the DNC.
                I've lived through three depressions now. They are all caused by the same economic changes. Trump is for Trump. Few politicians actually care about the public, enriching themselves at the trough of plutocracy in the guise of democracy, but this election has been like no other. I'm hopeful it's not a horrendous disaster, after all my income comes from a good economy. I'm adjusting expenses and hiring for the short term while we figure out what might happen.

Comment

I joined a couple of years ago, but I'm not expert enough to post knowledgeably on the Ripper, nor is this my first post. Pub posts do not count.
                  These points may be considered parroting by you, but I don't watch MSNBC, read the Post, or belong to the DNC.
                  I've lived through three depressions now. They are all caused by the same economic changes. Trump is for Trump. Few politicians actually care about the public, enriching themselves at the trough of plutocracy in the guise of democracy, but this election has been like no other. I'm hopeful it's not a horrendous disaster, after all my income comes from a good economy. I'm adjusting expenses and hiring for the short term while we figure out what might happen.
                  I can say I learned something today: Pub Talk posts do not count to total number of posts.

Take some advice. Pick one TINY little aspect of the Ripper crimes. One thing that you find interesting. Study it. Dissect it. Turn it on it's head. Start a thread and mix it up on the boards (good naturedly, of course). You'll find it fascinating, fun.....and it will have the added benefit of taking your mind off of Trump and all the things you worried he might do. Stop listening to all the talking heads telling you how afraid you SHOULD be and wait until something actually happens that impacts you and yours. I mean...you may actually crack the case!

Comment

I'd like my grand daughter to have a good life. I foresee severe drought, food shortages, and harder road to a good life. Continued education will be key. Mine is the first generation that did not exceed the successes of their parents, and it will continue to do so as the rich get richer and the middle class disappears.
                    I'm not from the United States, so don't have a vested interest in any of the candidates.

From a philosophical perspective though, voting for Trump over Clinton can only be good thing for the United States and good for the world.

The reason being that Clinton is cut from the cloth of the high level of debt, invading people's countries in order to service that debt and further integration among nations from all parts of the globe entourage; and more importantly she is the epitome of the system.

What does the United States owe China these days? Over a trillion? That is a recipe for the decline of the United States. It is long understood that whomever owns the debt, owns the borrowing nation. The United States understands that because it's exactly what they did to us 100 years ago. In the words of Woodrow Wilson: "keep lending to the British and they'll soon be dancing to our tune". I think it was Wilson, could have been one of his close advisers.

While Trump might not be the answer, he is certainly more likely to focus on the basics for the United States. Research, development, production of home grown goods etc; unlike Clinton who is more of the same. I don't understand how you can think that Clinton is the better bet for your family - the way these people have been going on they will lead you into a major war that could change the United States forever. I don't mean waltzing into Iraq and stealing their resources with thousands of American soldiers dying in the process. I mean a major war such as WW1 with millions of Americans losing their lives.

It's good for the world because, like our decision to leave the European Union, it sends the message out that people aren't prepared to keep sleep walking along with the system. That can only be good for everyone and with a bit of luck it will rub off on a few more around the world.

Human beings aren't built to all be the same, and a spread of ideas is healthy; and so the United States moving away from the politics they have espoused for say 50 years now, at least, can only be beneficial to everyone.

Why in the world you would want US politics to be more European in nature is beyond me, considering that the United States has some outstanding values and was once the next step in freedom. The last thing you should be doing is adopting European policies, and the first thing you should be doing is getting back to what made the United States a great nation - in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                      Hi FM,

I'm in the next county along - Devon. The coastline here has been designated as an area of outstanding natural beauty. Mind you, it wasn't that beautiful today, with strong winds and torrential rain.

I suppose we'd better let 'em get back to Trump.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      Devon is nice enough. Love Plymouth and that area - beings to mind the days of smuggling!

And, there's nothing better than being at the coast when it's raining. Give me rain over sun at the coast any day! That's the beauty of England, our moody landscapes.

And, yes, let's get back to The Don. I hear the Mexicans have handed over a few quid for the wall.

Comment

Stop listening to all the talking heads telling you how afraid you SHOULD be and wait until something actually happens that impacts you and yours.
                        Germans could have stopped Hitler if they had moved against him in the 1930's, by the time they waited "to give him a chance?", he became too strong to oppose.
                        Look what happened then....

In truth, I don't really expect Trump to become another dictator, it's just that history does repeat itself, and the only reason it does is because 'we' are often too naive to believe "it could all happen again".
                        Why don't we ever learn?

We already know Trump is a perpetual liar, incredibly ignorant, and obtained much of his wealth by trickery & deception.
                        What is there left to trust?
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                          I'm not from the United States, so don't have a vested interest in any of the candidates.

From a philosophical perspective though, voting for Trump over Clinton can only be good thing for the United States and good for the world.

The reason being that Clinton is cut from the cloth of the high level of debt, invading people's countries in order to service that debt and further integration among nations from all parts of the globe entourage; and more importantly she is the epitome of the system.

What does the United States owe China these days? Over a trillion? That is a recipe for the decline of the United States. It is long understood that whomever owns the debt, owns the borrowing nation. The United States understands that because it's exactly what they did to us 100 years ago. In the words of Woodrow Wilson: "keep lending to the British and they'll soon be dancing to our tune". I think it was Wilson, could have been one of his close advisers.

While Trump might not be the answer, he is certainly more likely to focus on the basics for the United States. Research, development, production of home grown goods etc; unlike Clinton who is more of the same. I don't understand how you can think that Clinton is the better bet for your family - the way these people have been going on they will lead you into a major war that could change the United States forever. I don't mean waltzing into Iraq and stealing their resources with thousands of American soldiers dying in the process. I mean a major war such as WW1 with millions of Americans losing their lives.

It's good for the world because, like our decision to leave the European Union, it sends the message out that people aren't prepared to keep sleep walking along with the system. That can only be good for everyone and with a bit of luck it will rub off on a few more around the world.

Human beings aren't built to all be the same, and a spread of ideas is healthy; and so the United States moving away from the politics they have espoused for say 50 years now, at least, can only be beneficial to everyone.

Why in the world you would want US politics to be more European in nature is beyond me, considering that the United States has some outstanding values and was once the next step in freedom. The last thing you should be doing is adopting European policies, and the first thing you should be doing is getting back to what made the United States a great nation - in my opinion.
                          But Donald Trump's economic plans threaten to drown the economy in an ocean of debt! In fact, it's predicted they will add a staggering $7.2 trillion dollars to the national debt over the next decade, whereas Clinton's plans would have actually reduced the debt: http://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/.../#5136195b195f. Mind you, what do you expect from the self proclaimed King of Debt, who's business acumen resulted in six of his own companies by ing declared bankrupt: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ared-bankrupt/

As for his protectionism: if you think that's a great idea you might want to look up the consequences of the Smoot Hawley Tariff Act.

As for Brexit, there's not a single economic forecast that says that will be good for the economy. Of course, it could be argued that the decision was justified on the grounds of reclaiming sovereignty. However, the recent argument that Britain should appoint Farage as ambassador to the U.S, out of fear of offending Trump for not doing so, demonstrates that even that's delusionary thinking.

You might also want to look at this article, which highlights how completely farcical our Brexit "plan" actually is: https://infacts.org/handwritten-note...d-brexit-plan/
                          Last edited by John G; 11-30-2016, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Germans could have stopped Hitler if they had moved against him in the 1930's, by the time they waited "to give him a chance?", he became too strong to oppose.
                            Look what happened then....

In truth, I don't really expect Trump to become another dictator, it's just that history does repeat itself, and the only reason it does is because 'we' are often too naive to believe "it could all happen again".
                            Why don't we ever learn?

We already know Trump is a perpetual liar, incredibly ignorant, and obtained much of his wealth by trickery & deception.
                            What is there left to trust?
                            So we have Trump becoming a dictator? Trump as Hitler. Wonderful stuff. Sadly, not very original, though.

And to think, he's not even in office yet! Right-wingers said precisely the same things about Obama: He's going to abolish the 22nd Amendment and become president for life. He's going to take away all the guns, abolish borders, require whites to pay reparations, completely outlaw oil and coal, disarm the Unites States, seize and redistribute wealth. Of course, Fox News was thrilled to play it all up. Of course, here we are. Obama - with a few exceptions like his position on gay marriage and the affordable care act -was essentially George Bush who was essentially Bill Clinton who was indistinguishable from George H.W. Bush who was Reagan v2.0 (who thankfully was NOT Jimmy Carter). U.S. Presidents are not German chancellors or dictators. They exist within a much more constrained system with a limited ability to affect the path of the nation (which is much more dependent upon economic movers than presidents - contrary to what they might have us believe).

So, let's save the Hitler comparisons for later. Take a break from the handwringing. Turn off MSNBC and CNN for a few weeks. Watch a movie or two. Sports are a good option. You'll feel better and you won't be worried about Hitler quite so much. My guess is that Trump will do his best presidential impersonation for four years and then he'll move on down the road. If he over-reaches in the short-term and doesn't play by the rules and/or makes the wrong kind of enemies, he'll be impeached (wouldn't shock me in the least) and we'll continue with business as usual in Washington.

The truth is simple: Most everyone who voted for Trump (I did NOT) did so realizing he was never option 1A. But, he has one thing that differentiates him from everyone else: He's not a politician. Of course, he may be something much worse (if that's possible). But the electorate is willing to take the chance because Washington is broken, corrupt, backward. It's like a baseball team signing a hitter who is guaranteed to lead the league in strikeouts but may just run into 40+ homeruns. Maybe he'll hit a few big ones along the way that will get you into the playoffs. Think Chris Davis, Adam Dunn, or Dave Kingman.

So, yeah. Let's hold off worrying that Trump is Hitler. Let's instead think of him as Dave Kingman. Does that help you at all? Feel better?
                            Last edited by Patrick S; 11-30-2016, 07:00 AM.

Comment

So we have Trump becoming a dictator? Trump as Hitler. Wonderful stuff. Sadly, not very original, though.

And to think, he's not even in office yet! Right-wingers said precisely the same things about Obama: He's going to abolish the 22nd Amendment and become president for life. He's going to take away all the guns, abolish borders, require whites to pay reparations, completely outlaw oil and coal, disarm the Unites States, seize and redistribute wealth. Of course, Fox News was thrilled to play it all up. Of course, here we are. Obama - with a few exceptions like his position on gay marriage and the affordable care act -was essentially George Bush who was essentially Bill Clinton who was indistinguishable from George H.W. Bush who was Reagan v2.0 (who thankfully was NOT Jimmy Carter). U.S. Presidents are not German chancellors or dictators. They exist within a much more constrained system with a limited ability to affect the path of the nation (which is much more dependent upon economic movers than presidents - contrary to what they might have us believe).

So, let's save the Hitler comparisons for later. Take a break from the handwringing. Turn off MSNBC and CNN for a few weeks. Watch a movie or two. Sports are a good option. You'll feel better and you won't be worried about Hitler quite so much. My guess is that Trump will do his best presidential impersonation for four years and then he'll move on down the road. If he over-reaches in the short-term and doesn't play by the rules and/or makes the wrong kind of enemies, he'll be impeached (wouldn't shock me in the least) and we'll continue with business as usual in Washington.

The truth is simple: Most everyone who voted for Trump (I did NOT) did so realizing he was never option 1A. But, he has one thing that differentiates him from everyone else: He's not a politician. Of course, he may be something much worse (if that's possible). But the electorate is willing to take the chance because Washington is broken, corrupt, backward. It's like a baseball team signing a hitter who is guaranteed to lead the league in strikeouts but may just run into 40+ homeruns. Maybe he'll hit a few big ones along the way that will get you into the playoffs. Think Chris Davis, Adam Dunn, or Dave Kingman.

So, yeah. Let's hold off worrying that Trump is Hitler. Let's instead think of him as Dave Kingman. Does that help you at all? Feel better?
                              LOL! great post
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                                Devon is nice enough. Love Plymouth and that area - beings to mind the days of smuggling!

And, there's nothing better than being at the coast when it's raining. Give me rain over sun at the coast any day! That's the beauty of England, our moody landscapes.

And, yes, let's get back to The Don. I hear the Mexicans have handed over a few quid for the wall.
                                Would love to visit Devon one day. Mt family were prominent there about 6 generations ago.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X