No announcement yet.

This day in history -- Crimes and murders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aug. 23, 2006: In Austria, a teen-aged woman escaped after eight years in captivity. She had been kidnapped in Vienna, when she was a 10-year-old walking to school.

Natascha Kampusch, an Austrian teenager who was kidnapped at age 10, escapes from her captor, Wolfgang Priklopil, after more than eight years. Shortly after her escape, Priklopil died by suicide. On March 2, 1998, Kampusch was abducted from a street in Vienna while walking to school. One of Austria’s largest missing-person searches followed, during which […]
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

In Scotland on August 24 of 1996, Caroline Glachan, 14, was attacked and beaten to death while walking to her boyfriend's house. The murder remains unsolved.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Sorry I'm a couple of days late, but on the morning of 22 August 1485 the anointed King of England, Richard III, was bludgeoned to death by one or more foot-soldiers at Redemore in the County of Leicestershire. Strictly speaking, at least by the mores of the time, this was neither a crime nor murder, rather a justifiable killing in the heat of battle, but he was after all an anointed king.

I mention this mainly because I am a member of an organisation that actually owns a few acres of what is now known as Bosworth Battlefield, and more importantly I also happen to believe that history has been rather unkind to King Richard III.

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Sorry I'm a couple of days late, but on the morning of 22 August 1485 the anointed King of England, Richard III, was bludgeoned to death by one or more foot-soldiers at Redemore in the County of Leicestershire. Strictly speaking, at least by the mores of the time, this was neither a crime nor murder, rather a justifiable killing in the heat of battle, but he was after all an anointed king.

I mention this mainly because I am a member of an organisation that actually owns a few acres of what is now known as Bosworth Battlefield, and more importantly I also happen to believe that history has been rather unkind to King Richard III.

Graham
          On the other hand you might be a few days early if you are to take into account the adjustment in dates arising from the conversion from the Julian to Gregorian calendars.

I think Richard's bad press stems from kingship arising from the disappearance of a 12 year old boy. Not that he had anything to do with it, but he certainly benefited from it, cui bono etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post

Graham
            Hi Graham,

I wonder, is it the "Richard III Society"?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Hi Graham,

I wonder, is it the "Richard III Society"?

Jeff
              I know a fair few members...

Comment

Tupac Shakur was shot 20 years ago today - July 7. He died 6 days later.

Stan Reid

Comment

Sept. 22, 1980: "Midtown Stabber" in New York. Interesting case of a serial killer who switched between guns and a knife.
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    Sept. 22, 1980: "Midtown Stabber" in New York. Interesting case of a serial killer who switched between guns and a knife.
                    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...f9e2fc0bd2f213
                    Hadn't heard of that one before.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Me either

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Hadn't heard of that one before.
                      Don't feel bad, Gut, I've never heard of it, either. (Is it bad when friends send me links about serial killers?)
                      ---------------
                      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                        Don't feel bad, Gut, I've never heard of it, either. (Is it bad when friends send me links about serial killers?)
                        I thought it was normal.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          I thought it was normal.
                          Good, then we're alright!
                          ---------------
                          ---------------

Comment

On 25th September 1934 this classified advertisement appeared in the Bournemouth Daily Echo:
                            Daily willing lad, 14-18, for house-work; Scout-trained preferred. Apply between 11-12, 8-9 at 5 Manor Road, Bournemouth.
                            The ad was placed by Alma Rattenbury, who was married to the famous architect Francis Rattenbury. It was answered by George Stoner, who was given the job and became Alma’s lover.

Six months later Francis Rattenbury was bludgeoned with a mallet; Alma and George were charged with his murder. After disputed/retracted confessions, when the trial began they both pleaded ‘Not Guilty’. Alma was cleared and released, only to commit suicide. George was found guilty.

But in his 1988 book ‘Murder at the Villa Madeira’ lawyer David Napley argues that Alma did it.

Comment

February 13, 1982: Serial killer strikes in Colorado.

A 21-year-old woman named Mary accepts a ride from a man in the ski town of Breckenridge, Colorado, and is raped and severely beaten with a claw hammer. The attacker, Tom Luther, was traced through his truck and apprehended. Luther told a psychiatrist that Mary reminded him of his mother. The psychiatrist concluded that the […]

One of the victims was a resident of my current city. Talk about hitting close to home!

I thought it was interesting about the verdict leading to a lobby about the jury verdict must be all members.
                              Last edited by Pcdunn; 02-13-2017, 10:36 AM. Reason: additional material
                              ---------------
                              ---------------

Comment

40 year ago-Feb 17 of 1977-Helen Brach vanished and was most likely murdered. The case still unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X