Sickert Was Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mandrake80 View Post
    And where do you suggest such a manifesto could/would be found?
    A communist party headquarters somewhere?

Comment

• Sickert'

I seem to recall Sickert having a son named Joseph, but I don't remember where I saw the reference. I think it was Underwood's book. If so the fistula trauma couldn't have been too heinous.
      Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
        I seem to recall Sickert having a son named Joseph, but I don't remember where I saw the reference. I think it was Underwood's book. If so the fistula trauma couldn't have been too heinous.
        Hi Yankee,

Officially, Sickert had no children. The man calling himself Joseph Sickert has been accused by some of being an imposter.

I very much doubt that a fistula would prevent one from fathering a child. There is not even any firm evidence to suggest Sickert had such an affliction. If he did, it's hardly the basis for becoming a homicidal maniac.

Kind regards,

Comment

• Fistula

There is a lot of chaff in this wheat field. I'm rereading cornwell's book and she keeps on about it and she seems to be big on speculation and short on facts. Am I missing something?

Comment

There is a lot of chaff in this wheat field. I'm rereading cornwell's book and she keeps on about it and she seems to be big on speculation and short on facts. Am I missing something?
            Nope!
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• To be fair she do a reasonable job of linking him to some letters.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Letters

Yes, but that doesn't make the letters those of "Saucy Jackie" does it?

Comment

Yes, but that doesn't make the letters those of "Saucy Jackie" does it?
                  One letter was from "Saucy Jacky", But I doubt Saucy Jacky was the killer.
                  G U T

Comment

• The fusula was probably on his bottom not his penis, as the surgeon he saw was a bum man. Sickert was very attractive to woman and had numerious wives and mistresses thoughout his life.

I am sick of people reading this crummy book with out reading the Stugis biography or Sickert's extensive writings on art.
                    Its easier to jump to a conclusion with little informatuion other than a fantasist crime writer. Luckily most people can see through her. What she knowas about art of the 19th century you can write on the back of a nail.

Miss Marple

Comment

• I agree absolutely Miss Marple. You really have to understand the work of the Post-Impressionists before judging their work. It's like saying Agatha Christie must have been a murderer because she wrote books about murder. Or Patricia Cornwell, come to that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                        I agree absolutely Miss Marple. You really have to understand the work of the Post-Impressionists before judging their work. It's like saying Agatha Christie must have been a murderer because she wrote books about murder. Or Patricia Cornwell, come to that!
                        Or most of the people here on Casebook, even those who aren't published spend a fair bt of time writting about it, but does that make them killers??
                        G U T

Comment

• expert

I'm no expert on Walter Sickert and I read Cornwell's book twice. I find it just as implausible the second time. I've seen pictures of his paintings. I'm not sure that he even wrote any of the letters let alone committed any of the murders. I don't believe he was Jack the Ripper for the reasons many of you have explained far more cogently than I can. This is a very animated and enlightening discussion! Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake80 View Post
                            And where do you suggest such a manifesto could/would be found?
                            I don't think there were any.There were on long distance trips to the states for example but even so people could give any name they so wished...
                            Is interesting that the 'sheridan' letter to Mrs McCarthy was sent from Folkestone though
                            You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

• The dna evidence would be worthless if Sickert didn't put the stamps on and seal the letters himself, which is a distinct possibility. He could well have given them to a servant to post.

Best wishes
                              C4

Comment

• I did buy Ms Cornwell's book wherein she points the finger at Walter Sickert. An interesting read but at no point was I convinced that such a person as Sickert could have been the Ripper. I would be very surprised should I be proved wrong in this belief.

As fascinating as the book was in spinning a rather elaborate story regarding the artist, also exploring his apparent interest in the Whitechapel and Camden murders, at no point does she really substantiate anything close to being "case closed" as the title of the book suggests.

Sickert without doubt certainly had an interest in the murders, so much so to be moved to create a picture titled Jack the Ripper's Bedroom which is on exhibit in a Manchester gallery. It's a very atmospheric picture that certainly does capture the mood the title suggests.

A talented artist yet I don't feel one that turned his hand to murders, only had an interest, macabre or not with the Whitechapel murders.

Comment

Working...
                                X