New Independent Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all modesty...

Thanks, Lynn. I understand the Casebook Examiner boasted more subscribers than Ripperologist, and this is entirely due to my contributions to that journal. I'm a modest fellow, so I'm not personaly comfortable with that. I would say it's largely due to my contributions. I was sad when it folded after only a year, but was delighted that Don decided to do his own journal. He would only do it if I contributed a piece, so there it is. I only hope and pray that subscribers don't expect something from me every issue. That wouldn't be fair to the other contributors who by now must surely be tired of living in my shadow.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom:

Indeed! Merely to be mentioned on the same page as you is a huge honour and privilege, and, I assure you, a deeply humbling experience.

Though I can't help but wonder how such a prodigy as yourself has not managed to make a living out of writing on its own, ala the great authors of the past - Dickens, Doyle, Thackeray, etc - as opposed to moping reminisces of "Casebook Examiner"? Surely they and their kind aren't even a blotch on your canvas of magnificence? Or have you refrained from entering into the fictional arena?

And so that makes it all the more humbling, that you would lower your prestigious standards to continue contributing to our humble periodicals.

Three cheers for Tom!

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went
        Merely to be mentioned on the same page as you is a huge honour and privilege, and, I assure you, a deeply humbling experience.
        I've no doubt that's true. The only problem with being me is that I'll never know the privilege of seeing my name next to a name such as my own.

Originally posted by Adam Went
        Or have you refrained from entering into the fictional arena?
        Some might argue that's what I've been doing all along.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          The only problem with being me is that I'll never know the privilege of seeing my name next to a name such as my own.
          Try a double feature, and you'll experience this.

Originally Posted by Adam Went:
          Or have you refrained from entering into the fictional arena?

Ah, the perils of suspectology.

At some point I'll manage writing a couple articles too. Hopefully in time for the bicentennial...
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

Tom:

I've no doubt that's true. The only problem with being me is that I'll never know the privilege of seeing my name next to a name such as my own.

Oh I agree, it would be a sad day indeed for Ripperology in its entirety if that ever were to happen.

But, if you wished just to experience the thrill, as Maria said, perhaps a double feature - or copy and paste two of your articles next to each other?

I know exactly how you feel.

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

Beam me up Scotty!!
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

While work continues apace on issue 2 of the New Independent Review there is still an opportunity for writers to place an article in the issue. One of the reasons for starting the magazine was to afford new writers a chance to express their ideas in a major Ripper magazine and that still holds. The same opportunity exists for those who may want to do a review.

All inquiries or submissions should be directed to newindependentreview@aol.com . And for those who have not yet obtained a free copy of Issue 1 it is available at http://newindependentreview.com/

Don Souden, editor.
                "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

unless Don breaks down and agrees to pay me more

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  My god, is there anything out of reach of the tentacles of financial advancement?

You see, being an Englishman is tantamount to amateurism.

Now that I realise there's money in this, I'm more than willing and able to research anything and anyone; I am a colossal money seeker.

What's the going rate, Tom?

Comment

Mr. Mac,

I would love to have you produce anything for the New Independent Review. However, Tom overstates the recompense just a wee muckle. As a long-time contributor Tom receives (in the spirit of W.C. Fields in the "Bank Dick") a "hearty handclasp" and my undying gratitude (or at least my sincere thanks until the next issue comes due). Regardless, it is for a good cause.

Don.
                    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                      Mr. Mac,

I would love to have you produce anything for the New Independent Review. However, Tom overstates the recompense just a wee muckle. As a long-time contributor Tom receives (in the spirit of W.C. Fields in the "Bank Dick") a "hearty handclasp" and my undying gratitude (or at least my sincere thanks until the next issue comes due). Regardless, it is for a good cause.

Don.
                      'Very kind of you to say that, Don.

And, it's good to know there really is a last bastion of 'in it for the pleasure' out there. 'Nothing like a spot of fair play among gentlemen.

Having said that, in the event money does begin to change hands then do please let me know and I'll brush up on my negotiation skills in advance.

Comment

On the flip side of that, i'm sure regular contributors are open to negotiations for financial settlements to STOP publishing their work.

Cheers,
                        Adam.

Comment

I'd offer you a pony Adam but the Reviews comedic content would drop drastically.

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I've downloaded it now and emailed it to myself to read later!
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Not at all, Monty - nobody is as capable of turning a serious subject into satire as your good self, i'd hate to steal the mantle that you've made your own.

Cheers,
                              Adam.

Comment

Very true,

However in your case there's rarely any need. Its all done for me.

Monty
                                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                                X