This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Apologies if this has been posted before.

http://www.mernick.org.uk/elhs/ELHS.htm then go to pictures and meet the ancestors,1880's

I think these photographs are wonderful. If anyone wishes to upload them , please do.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
      Early 1900s? Right, hows he get that date then?
      Carbon testing!

Flower & Dean Street, Parish of Christ Church Spitalfields (Click to Enlarge in flickr)
      Courtesy of Robert Clack

"MBS"

Metropolitan Borough of Stepney (1900-1965)

Comment

• Carbon dating?

Isnt that how we dated Colin Wilson?

Many thanks Mishter Roberts.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          Coalbrookdale... pivotal in the Industrial Revolution (for those who don't know), and the place where Abraham Darby set up his iron-smelting furnaces.
          Coalbrookdale also did those fancy gates for the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace. The gates continue to stand near the Albert Memorial and feature in a book I'm reading about London landmarks.

Comment

• Here is a photo's from ca.1890

It may well have been seen before... but I thought it might be of interest.

http://www.mernick.org.uk/thhol/p_artilp.html[/URL]
            Last edited by Phil Carter; 01-06-2010, 04:46 AM.
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

• Some questions on Andrew Firth's photos of Jan. 2nd back on page 226 (excellent as usual) of Polly Nicholls' murder site, showing the new red fire suppression "cupboard." I am making comparisons to other pictures of the site- one from page 39 of "Uncovering Jack the Ripper's London" by Richard Jones & Sean East from 2007, and one taken by me while on vacation from America in 2008. Immediately apparent is that the original brick pillar standing at the corner of the wall and reaching slightly higher than the fence on top seems to be gone now. Also, the picture in the '07 book (not sure when exactly it was taken) shows a large bush higher than the fence right at the corner of the wall. My pic from '08 shows no bush there but a similar one perhaps 10 to 12 feet from the corner, and in Andrew's pic whatever bush might be there now is out of frame. Can anyone comment on these changes?

Looks like the wall must have been cut into to install the red cupboard. Any thoughts on how long it might be before the wall is removed entirely?

Comment

• It's funny, but I hadn't noticed that the brick pillar was missing when I was there! But yes, that's gone, as has the bush. The cupboard is indeed built into the wall, but I would estimate only goes halfway back into the total depth of the brickwork. These changes are all part of the conversion of the low level platforms under Durward Street from London Underground to London Overground standards. The station is set to reopen this summer.

All the best,
                Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                  I found this Times Online article which talks about the 37,000 skeletons dug up from under London Streets, and the efforts underway by the Museum of London to study them. Apparently the plan is to choose 26 of the most interesting to put on public display.

The Times article talks about the tens of thousands of dead who "lie buried" beneath London streets, but from the way it's phrased I can't tell if they mean that there used to many thousands of bodies buried beneath the modern city or that it's known that there still are- does anybody know?
                  When Human remains are discovered they are either re-interred in one of the City of London cemetries or are taken to the Museum of London Archeological Survey's warehouse up by the canal North of Old Street. The Times article was misleading in implying that remains are left in situ.

Over 10,000 (Roman and Medieval) skeletons were discovered during the redevelopment of the Western half of Spitalfields market. I think that these are all in the MOLAS warehouse now.

Comment

• Was playing around with Photoshop a while back, and came up with this photomontage, using the image of Church Passage in Ripper Wiki, and a modern day photo taken by yours truly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitre Photomontage 2009 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	658359

All the best
                    Andrew

Comment

• Brilliant, Andrew.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Would you teach me how to do that Andrew! Its a great idea!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Brilliant, Andrew.
                          I second that emotion, Sam. Wouldn't it also be great if Colin could re-post some of his magical montages that disappeard in the Casebook crash.
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• The canonical scenes - thanks to Google Maps

Sure you've all looked these up yourselves but I thought it was interesting enough to post stills.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                              I second that emotion, Sam. Wouldn't it also be great if Colin could re-post some of his magical montages that disappeard in the Casebook crash.
                              Yes, I agree! Colin's overlays and montages were the main inspiration for mine. I certainly think a reposting is long overdue.

I may go on to do some new montages in the near future, but of non-ripper related sites, (although they'll still be in the east end). Watch this space.

All the best
                              Andrew

Comment

• Lovely stuff here
                                Hey -any ideas who this chap is from the force Rob and Mont ?
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	cop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	658370

Any ideas??? 402?? Year??
                                Suz x
                                Last edited by Suzi; 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM.
                                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                                X