No announcement yet.

Dr. JOHN REES GABE'S TWIN BROTHER: A WHO'S WHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind you, the Ardeola does sound a bit like a plague ship.

20 February 1919, at sea, Assistant Steward Albert Edward Sugden discharged dead from pneumonia.

27 December 1919, at Funchal, Maderia, First Class Passenger Violet May Hastie discharged dead from pneumonia.

I wonder if, in August, JRG was travelling in his professional capacity, or if he just succumbed to pneumonia and died early the following year.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

You want more Gabes?

Here is a transcription of a newspaper report [19th March] of the funeral of John Gabe [builder], Monday 15th March 1897.

The first funeral coach was occupied by
      Dr. Gabe, from Morriston, son; [John Bernard]
      Mr. Rees Gabe, Cefn, grandson;
      Mr. Joseph Gabe, Llandeilo, brother;
      Mr. Percy Gabe, Barry, grandson.
      Second coach
      Mr. Bernard Colman, grandson;
      Mr. Frank Woodman, Mr. Heny Davies, son in law; and the Rev. Sinclair Evans.
      Third carriage
      Dr. Gabe, London;
      Mr. Rees Gabe, Treharris;
      Mr. Joseph Gabe, Cefn;
      Mr. Harry Gabe, Ystalyfera;
      Mr. Wm. James Thomas, Merthyr.

Regards,

Simon
      Last edited by Simon Wood; 04-18-2017, 09:00 AM. Reason: spolling mistook

Comment

More Gabes than I can shake a thermometer at.

I wonder if the pneumonia was a complication from the post-War flu epidemic.

I suspect that Constance Marion Aldridge nee Gabe was in fact 'Caroline' from 1891. In 1939 she is living in Hove, birth date Jan 27th 1881. In 1954 she marries Edward S Pratt in Surrey, and dies in Horsham in 1973 leaving £48000.

Comment

A good thought. And you're right. It's Caroline M. Gabe [10] in the 1891 Census, which is a mistranscription. She was Constance Marion Gabe, born 1881.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon,

Are you now aware that in November 1888 John Rees Gabe was employed as the resident medical officer of the London Dispensary at 21 Church Street, Spitalfields?

Comment

Hi David,

Yes, I am. Also that he was living there in 1881.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Very good. So do you accept that his being employed in a dispensary in such close proximity to Dorset Street might have been the reason for his being called to attend at the examination of the body of Mary Jane Kelly during the morning of 9 November 1888?

Comment

Hi David,

I'll accept it when Dr. John Rees Gabe can be placed at the London Dispensary, 21 Church Street, on the morning of 9th November 1888.

Regards,

Simon
                  Last edited by Simon Wood; 04-18-2017, 10:52 AM. Reason: spolling mistook

Comment

Well the good news, Simon, is that we can now place him as the resident medical officer of the dispensary at 21 Church Street on the morning of 9 November 1888. And, furthermore, we can physically place him as being very close to that location - within short walking distance in fact - on the same morning.

Comment

Hi David,

You may be taking the word 'resident' too literally.

Why did he not arrive in Millers Court until after Dr. Bond at 1.50 pm?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                        You may be taking the word 'resident' too literally.

Why did he not arrive in Millers Court until after Dr. Bond at 1.50 pm?
                        No, I don't think I am taking the word 'resident' too literally Simon.

I wasn't aware that any record was actually made of the time of Dr Gabe's arrival in Millers Court. I'm sure you can't possibly be referring to this press report:

"The whole space was closely packed with detective officers, and quite a small army of plain-clothes constables was located in Dorset Street within an astonishing short space of time. Dr. Phillips, the divisional surgeon of police, soon arrived, and was followed by Dr. Bond, of Westminster, divisional surgeon of the A Division, and Dr. J.R. Gabe, of Mecklenburgh Square; and two or three other surgeons."

That would be ridiculous.

Comment

Hi David,

Ridiculous to you, certainly.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi David,

Ridiculous to you, certainly.
                            And ridiculous to anyone who understands the English language. The press report I cited - which is, of course, unconfirmed as to the facts - doesn't even say that Bond arrived before Gabe. They could, on the face of it, have arrived at precisely the same time. Or the journalist might have been listing the doctors who arrived after Phillips in order of seniority. Not that it matters because we have no idea when either Bond or Gabe heard that they were wanted and set off for Millers Court.

Comment

Hi David,

Your mission, Mr. Phelps, is to place Dr. Gabe in Millers Court on the morning of 9th November 1888.

But in doing so, you have to ask yourself why anyone would want to waste an hour-and-a-half or more of the good doctor's valuable time at the London Dispensary when entry to Room 13 wasn't until 1.30 pm, when, allegedly, John McCarthy took a pick-axe to the door, and the corpse became available for examination.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi David,

Your mission, Mr. Phelps, is to place Dr. Gabe in Millers Court on the morning of 9th November 1888.

But in doing so, you have to ask yourself why anyone would want to waste an hour-and-a-half or more of the good doctor's valuable time at the London Dispensary when entry to Room 13 wasn't until 1.30 pm, when, allegedly, John McCarthy took a pick-axe to the door, and the corpse became available for examination.
                                Now, you're not making much sense; either that or you've answered your own question. The door was broken open at 1.30pm and Dr Gabe arrived shortly thereafter. No point him being there any earlier. Dr Bond had probably already been sent to Millers Court by Scotland Yard prior to the breaking open of the door. Hence there's no mystery as to why someone starting out in central London might arrive at about the same time as someone starting out from just over the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X