No announcement yet.

British 19th-Century Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original link does not seem to be available.

I use this site:

Whether you are a researcher, historian or you simply want to know more about Britain's history, take this fantastic opportunity to search The British Newspaper Archive - a vast treasure trove of historical newspapers from your own home.

For £29.95 (about $50) you can get 30 days of
    access and 3000 credits or about 600 pages.
    Most 19th century newspaper pages cost about
    5 credits, the more recent pages, 20th century,
    can be 10 or 15 credits.

There are also weekly and yearly packages
    available.

Hours of fun.

Comment

There are lots of newspapers on Find My Past.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        There are lots of newspapers on Find My Past.
        I think they are the same ones that are available at the British Newspaper Archive. Both sites are owned by something called 'brightsolid':

Whether you are a researcher, historian or you simply want to know more about Britain's history, take this fantastic opportunity to search The British Newspaper Archive - a vast treasure trove of historical newspapers from your own home.

(Why companies can't have proper names any more - such as 'Incorporated Allied Widgets Limited' - is beyond me.)

Comment

Hi Chris

Well I guess it's better than "Newspaper Solutions" or some such nonsense.

It may be that a Find My Past sub would be more economical - depends how much newspaper searching people want to do, I suppose.

Comment

Newspaper Price

Gosh I'm lucky I can get most newspaper's here onlne from colonisation to 1970's for FREE.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Libraries

It was until recently possible to access British Library website (where Bright Solid have their Newspaper records from I believe) for free through local librarys website with a readers number if you lived in London.
              Most of UK Libraries have other free resources.
              In Somerset they have Times Online and other Newspapers (but not as many as British Newspaper Archive). Most do Ancestry access too, but you have to attend the library for that.
              I love our libraries !

Pat........................................

Comment

G'day Paddy

Yeah our free access to Newspapers is through the National Library but you can access online from home. They are still gradually loading more on, I guess it will take a while, they also provide an OCR translation [for want of a better term] but it's not always too accurate.

I personally think that it is wrong for Governments to sell BDM and Census records to companies like Ancestry. I think this type of record should be freely available.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Here are some free sites, coverage not yet complete of course.

Use FreeCEN to access 19th Century UK Censuses online and for free. You can use FreeCEN transcriptions to discover your ancestors' occupation, family history and household information.

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Comment

G'day Robert

Thanks for that I've used free BMD but it just doesn't tell you much.
                    G U T

Comment

Just a belated thank you to Chris for the Welsh newspaper site.
                      I've been going through it and it is a fascinating site.
                      dustymiller
                      aka drstrange

Comment

Just returning to this thread to say, anyone contemplating a Find My Past subscription might be advised to wait, or at least try to get a free trial first. The site has recently been "improved" and....you can guess the rest.

Comment

The Spectator recently digitized their archives from 1828-2008. You can search and read them for free at http://archive.spectator.co.uk/.

Comment

Originally posted by ns37 View Post
                            The Spectator recently digitized their archives from 1828-2008. You can search and read them for free at http://archive.spectator.co.uk/.
                            Thank you for that heads up.
                            G U T

Comment

As if I did have a big enough "to read" pile!

Thank you, exciting stuff.
                              dustymiller
                              aka drstrange

Comment

Gut,
                                Try a site called 'Trove".

Comment

Working...
                                X