Profession of James Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profession of James Kelly

Pierre's Profession of Jack the Ripper thread got me thinking about one of my favorite suspects.

I seem to recall that Kelly was employed as an upholsterer. Would a knife be a common tool for this type of employment? If so, would the size/blade type etc. be similar to the murder weapon. I am most clueless in the field of upholstery.

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
    Pierre's Profession of Jack the Ripper thread got me thinking about one of my favorite suspects.

I seem to recall that Kelly was employed as an upholsterer. Would a knife be a common tool for this type of employment? If so, would the size/blade type etc. be similar to the murder weapon. I am most clueless in the field of upholstery.
    A knife would be norm for an upholsterer.

Would ir be the type Jack used?

Depends on what sort you think he used.

Normally it would be short, very sharp and possibly a curved blade.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The only upholsterers' knives I've seen are about 3" to 4" long in the blade but these are rather wide and are rounded at the ends, not sharp at all. Some professions had knives that would be ideal for Jack. Wasn't Leather apron a slipper maker who used sharp knives in his work?

Comment

Have a look here

Uphsup.com offers a wide range of top quality and branded upholstery supplies at affordable prices. Shop Now! To know more about our products and services, please contact at (800) 262-5790.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

This is a bootmaker's.

My Paternal Grandfather had some just like it. You could almost shave with the "slanted" edge.

G U T

Comment

Knives

Kelly is recorded to have threatened his wife with a carving knife some five years before the 'Ripper' sequence began.
            I can't imagine why an upholsterer would be carrying a trade knife around the streets in the early hours of the morning; nor, indeed, why that would be the only knife he (or anyone else) could obtain in 1888. Knives could be bought without any legal restriction, and could legally be carried, until the 'Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act' of 1959/61.

Comment

Continuation of the above

I have little interest in the 'who' of the 'Ripper', but it does seem to me that Kelly fits quite well the model of the 'Disorganized Serial Killer' into which the 'Ripper' slots like a hand in a glove. In addition to the points from the Behavior Analysis Unit of the FBI which I summarized on another thread ('Disorganized Serial Killers' show no coherent ritual elements, do not taunt their investigators and do not write to the authorities) several others speak of Kelly - lower than average intelligence, serious difficulty in maintaining relationships, inability to hold down a regular job ...
              Whatever he was doctoring himself with to 'cure' his STD (maybe the contemporary wonder drugs, cocaine and heroin?) could well have spilled his already disturbed psychology over a final step?
              Anyway. Definitely a front runner, for those interested in seeking him!

Comment

I think I've read somewhere, in connection with James Kelly, that supposedly those in the upholstery trade who remove old coverings from furniture are called "rippers" and use a "ripping" knife.
                Ignoring the obvious allusion to Jack's "trade name" in a supposed letter, it is entirely possible that an upholster urged serial murderer might use a different knife than his trade one.
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Can anyone tell me why this interesting suspect hadn't been discussed for the last 4 years?!

The Baron

Comment

The most common tool used would be an upholsterer's chisel. Kelly spent most of the time on the run after his escape and would hardly have taken time to murder and disembowel prostitutes.

Comment

The Tully book on Kelly was one that I’ve been intending to re-read but I haven’t gotten round to it. At the risk of giving Baron a heart attack at the thought of me agreeing with him I seem to recall that he was an interesting suspect and I recalled enjoying the book. My memory of the facts are too foggy to comment at the moment though but I’ve just checked my books and found my copy of John Morrison’s pamphlet ‘Jimmy Kelly’s Year Of The Ripper Murders.’ I think Morrison was the first to name Kelly and I’m pretty sure that he payed for Mary Kelly’s gravestone?
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by The Baron View Post
                        Can anyone tell me why this interesting suspect hadn't been discussed for the last 4 years?!

The Baron
                        yeah hes kind of gotten forgotten, but i think he is one of a handful of viable suspects.
                        known woman murderer
                        knife used
                        person of interest at the time
                        local
                        the start and stop of the c5 coincide with his movements
                        escaped from prison
                        and he was crazy, like a fox that is.

he ticks alot of boxes and i think he fits the profile pretty well. plus he was quite the crafty guy, i could see someone like him being able to ruse his victims and being able to pull off the double event.
                        "Is all that we see or seem
                        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Throughout the years I have maintained that both circumstancial and hard evidence about this individual make him the most suitable suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsky View Post
                            Throughout the years I have maintained that both circumstancial and hard evidence about this individual make him the most suitable suspect.
                            agree he is a valid suspect-see my post above yours. And i know there is circumstantial evidence. but whats the "hard evidence"?
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

agree he is a valid suspect-see my post above yours. And i know there is circumstantial evidence. but whats the "hard evidence"?
                              I meant the hard evidence of Kelly's murderous activities and mental ilness/deranged/ con artist personality.

Comment

Working...
                              X