Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think William Herbert Wallace was guilty?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Rod’s ‘Incorrect Solution’ he has Parry and ‘Mr X’ sitting in his car in Breck Road watching Wallace exit Richmond Park. According to Rod, if i recall correctly from the video that he made (which now appears to have disappeared) Parry and Mr X had the end of Richmond Park on the opposite side of the road and to their right. If Wallace turns left (as he claims to have done) Parry moves on to the phone box with Mr X following Wallace. Theres absolutely no way that Parry could have known for certain which route Wallace might have taken.

There appears to be a problem though. From their vantage point the call box was facing away from them at the apex of a triangular garden. If Wallace had gone through the estate along one of either (and these are difficult to read on the small map) Redbourne Street, Redbrook Street or Redcar Street he would have found himself on Lower Breck Road completely our of sight of Parry and X. He would then have walked the right hand side of the triangular garden (still out of sight) to the phone box. Even Gannon admitted that this was the quickest way for Wallace to get to a tram stop. And so Rod’s two loiterers, in the masterplan, have ignored the possibilty of Wallace taking this route.

Also, if Wallace had turned right into Breck Road wouldnt Parry have been at risk of being seen by Wallace as he passed? He might only have seen the car but as he knew that Parry at least had access to one he might have recognised it.

Another fairly obvious question would be: if Wallace turned left out of Richmond Park and headed for the tram stop near to Belmont Road why did he walk past the tram stop at the end of Richmond Park and the one at the end of Newcombe Street?
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      In Rod’s ‘Incorrect Solution’ he has Parry and ‘Mr X’ sitting in his car in Breck Road watching Wallace exit Richmond Park. According to Rod, if i recall correctly from the video that he made (which now appears to have disappeared) Parry and Mr X had the end of Richmond Park on the opposite side of the road and to their right. If Wallace turns left (as he claims to have done) Parry moves on to the phone box with Mr X following Wallace. Theres absolutely no way that Parry could have known for certain which route Wallace might have taken.

There appears to be a problem though. From their vantage point the call box was facing away from them at the apex of a triangular garden. If Wallace had gone through the estate along one of either (and these are difficult to read on the small map) Redbourne Street, Redbrook Street or Redcar Street he would have found himself on Lower Breck Road completely our of sight of Parry and X. He would then have walked the right hand side of the triangular garden (still out of sight) to the phone box. Even Gannon admitted that this was the quickest way for Wallace to get to a tram stop. And so Rod’s two loiterers, in the masterplan, have ignored the possibilty of Wallace taking this route.

Also, if Wallace had turned right into Breck Road wouldnt Parry have been at risk of being seen by Wallace as he passed? He might only have seen the car but as he knew that Parry at least had access to one he might have recognised it.

Another fairly obvious question would be: if Wallace turned left out of Richmond Park and headed for the tram stop near to Belmont Road why did he walk past the tram stop at the end of Richmond Park and the one at the end of Newcombe Street?
      Hi Herlock, thanks for all the info.

It's fairly obvious the call makes no sense as a "plan" if made by anyone other than Wallace who wasn't working for him. At best you could argue for a prank call

The logic of the case against anyone other than WHW just falls apart on close examination, doesn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
        Hi Herlock, thanks for all the info.

It's fairly obvious the call makes no sense as a "plan" if made by anyone other than Wallace who wasn't working for him. At best you could argue for a prank call

The logic of the case against anyone other than WHW just falls apart on close examination, doesn't it?
        Hi AS,

I think so

Wallace could have gone 3 ways after leaving his house on the monday night. No one but Wallace himself would have had a clue which one he would take.

If Parry waited at the phone box he would have been 200+ yards away in the dark trying to see Wallace. This would have left him open to have been seen by potential witnesses (and as youve pointed out theres the car to consider too.) I mentioned in a previous post that Parry might have stayed in the box but the box, in its position, would have faced in the wrong direction for him to have watched Wallace. So he would have had to have stood outside, in full view of passers by

Also if Wallace had gone in the direction of the box and Parry could see him then its equally possible that Wallace could have seen Parry. A stupid risk for Parry.

If, as Rod suggests, Parry waited with Mr X in Breck Road then they couldnt have seen Wallace had he decided to take the shortest route (into Lower Breck Road.) And he says that this was a meticulous plan
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi AS,

I think so

Wallace could have gone 3 ways after leaving his house on the monday night. No one but Wallace himself would have had a clue which one he would take.

If Parry waited at the phone box he would have been 200+ yards away in the dark trying to see Wallace. This would have left him open to have been seen by potential witnesses (and as youve pointed out theres the car to consider too.) I mentioned in a previous post that Parry might have stayed in the box but the box, in its position, would have faced in the wrong direction for him to have watched Wallace. So he would have had to have stood outside, in full view of passers by

Also if Wallace had gone in the direction of the box and Parry could see him then its equally possible that Wallace could have seen Parry. A stupid risk for Parry.

If, as Rod suggests, Parry waited with Mr X in Breck Road then they couldnt have seen Wallace had he decided to take the shortest route (into Lower Breck Road.) And he says that this was a meticulous plan
          Just in the interest of ‘completeness’ i have to say the Wallace, of course, wasnt seen at the phone box either. We have to add though that Wallace wouldnt have had to have stood outside watching for someone.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Qualtrough retrieves his coat from the hall and slips out through the back kitchen. He pauses at the yard-gate for a moment, listening for any sound, before slipping the bolt and exiting down the alley. He turns right into Redbourn St, down the alley, then crosses Lower Breck Rd, and goes into the darkened recreation ground, his pre-arranged pickup point. It is two minutes since he left number 29 Wolverton Street...
            Ive never been great with maps and directions but surely this doesnt make sense. Redbourn Street and Lower Breck Road are at the front of the Wallace house and so to get to them Qualtrough couldnt have left by the back door? Just been on Google maps.
            Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 04-17-2018, 03:49 AM.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• She cannot hear Qualtrough creep quietly into the vestibule, and slip the bolt on the front door... Entering the middle kitchen, Qualtrough hears the floorboards creak in the bathroom directly above him. He moves straight to the bookshelves to the left of the range. In a flash, he has jumped on a chair, taken down the cash-box and broken its catch. Qualtrough snatches the bank notes and replaces the box. He does not notice in his haste that a few coins have scattered on the floor to the right of the range... Qualtrough hears the chain being pulled above him, and quietly slips out of the kitchen and back into the parlour. ...
              Conveniently omitting the fact that he must have wrenched the door off a cupboard in his search for cash whilst not bothering to look in Julia’s bag
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Oh, Mrs. Wallace!"
                Julia freezes. "Yyyess?"
                "Would you come here a moment?"
                Julia enters the parlour with the mackintosh over her right arm.
                "Going... somewhere?" asks Qualtrough, nonchalantly eyeing the mackintosh.
                "Why no! Well, yes, I .. I just need to ask the neighbours something. The cat! I think they have my cat!" Julia stammers, her eyes fixed on Qualtrough's still leather-clad hands.
                Qualtrough sees the fear in her eyes, and rises from the chaise-longue. "Perhaps I'd better go..."
                "Yes! No... wait a minute. My husband will be back any moment. I.. I'm going for... just next door for a moment."
                "I can let that happen!"
                So Julia prevents the guy that she’s terrified of from leaving!? And rather than taking the opportunity he decides to batter her brains out with an iron bar!?

I thought that picking a few holes in the sneak-thief theory might alleviate the boredom but it doesnt really. Its too easy.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

So Julia prevents the guy that she’s terrified of from leaving!? And rather than taking the opportunity he decides to batter her brains out with an iron bar!?

I thought that picking a few holes in the sneak-thief theory might alleviate the boredom but it doesnt really. Its too easy.
                  Because he can't let that happen!!!

Interminable, laughable prose. I remember chuckling at the "the scent of William"

The theory makes no sense. It's bunk.

Also where the bleep did he get the weapon from, if he was a "sneak thief" he wouldnt have brought one, but then how come Wallace couldn't account for anything that could remotely be a weapon missing?

Why as you said did he have time to smash a cupboard, presumably after murdering JW (otherwise how was it a "sneak" theft), yet not bother to go after JW's jewelry, money in her bag etc. etc. This theory is less consistent than the stock market.

Out of the many major theories that have been advanced, the sneak theft one is the LEAST likely. Perhaps only the Wallace in Drag is more ridiculous, although that was only part of a larger theory, not an explain it all theory in and of itself.

Comment

Hi AS,

I think so

Herlock, absolutely correct.

It seems to me that whoever made the call Qualtrough call had to have an intimate knowledge of things that no one could know other than WHW himself.

Another caller was relying on so much chance that even if he "had nothing to lose" by trying this scheme, it still doesn't come close to adding up as even a possible ruse. I maintain that it's just not something anyone else would conceive of because of the multitude of logical gaps and things that could go wrong with it; it would hardly be on anyone's radar.

Of course, it did all fall into place, and with awful consequences for Wallace if truly innocent (And for JW in either case!) This can hardly be considered an argument for the plan's veracity though-- it assumes its conclusion--if one does not believe Wallace was innocent, then it only all fell into place because he contrived it that way!

Comment

• Exactly.

And how ‘desperate’ was Parry for cash? If he’d been watching Wallace to suss out his route to the chess club hed have had to have been pretty patient as Wallace hadnt been to the club for 4 weeks ( a 2 night a week club.) Thats a lots of wasted nights sitting around in car parks......remind you of anyone?
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Out of the many major theories that have been advanced, the sneak theft one is the LEAST likely. Perhaps only the Wallace in Drag is more ridiculous, although that was only part of a larger theory, not an explain it all theory in and of itself.
                        We have to admit that nothing beats the Wallace-in-drag scenario!
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Exactly.

And how ‘desperate’ was Parry for cash? If he’d been watching Wallace to suss out his route to the chess club hed have had to have been pretty patient as Wallace hadnt been to the club for 4 weeks ( a 2 night a week club.) Thats a lots of wasted nights sitting around in car parks......remind you of anyone?

Yeah it's extremely implausible. All that planning and effort for what? And what about his accomplice. Did Parry say just wait a few weeks more till I see Wallace leave for the club; I won't be sure he's headed to the club, but I can call and then check again the next night, when I won't be sure he's headed for "Qualtrough". Don't worry soon we can enact our plan where you take all the risk and hope an elderly lady has to use the bathroom so you can sneak thief the cash box!

"Okay Gordon, sounds good!"

Comment

We have to admit that nothing beats the Wallace-in-drag scenario!
                            Maybe the "milk boy did it" theory is close!

Comment

• Maybe it was a suicide made to look like a robbery gone wrong?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• JW wanted to commit the "perfect suicide"

Comment

Working...
                                X