Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Eastern Square

On a saved thread, Rob Clack wrote:

Great Eastern Square was the area in front of the board school and extended as far as Thomas Street (now Fulbourne Street). It got it's name from the Great Eastern Railways coal depot which was on the North side of Bucks Row. And because it was such a small area, it does not appear on many maps. Surprisingly it does not appear on the 1873 O.S maps.

It is shown on this London 1868 map which MAPCO recently put out on their site. Scroll to bottom right.

Roy
    Sink the Bismark

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
    On a saved thread, Rob Clack wrote:

Great Eastern Square was the area in front of the board school and extended as far as Thomas Street (now Fulbourne Street). It got it's name from the Great Eastern Railways coal depot which was on the North side of Bucks Row. And because it was such a small area, it does not appear on many maps. Surprisingly it does not appear on the 1873 O.S maps.

It is shown on this London 1868 map which MAPCO recently put out on their site. Scroll to bottom right.

Roy
    Very fine. Thanks.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi All,

Great Eastern Square was a large open space in front of the Board School, across which Charles Cross and Robert Paul were walking from Bucks Row at exactly the same time as PC Neil was approaching from the opposite direction.

Yet Neil denied seeing Cross and Paul, and vice versa.

Discuss.

Regards,

Simon
      Last edited by Simon Wood; 01-15-2010, 09:05 PM. Reason: spolling
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

It must have been not exactly the same time.

Roy
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

Try telling that to Coroner Wynne Baxter. It's all in Nichols' official inquest transcript, and Abberline's report.

Regards,

Simon
          Last edited by Simon Wood; 01-16-2010, 03:14 AM. Reason: spolling mistook

Comment

How exactly did he arrive at that conclusion if the eyewitnesses denied the fact and there was no video observation or anything present?

Did all bobbies have watches back then? Even if they had, Cross and Paul surely would not have...
            In heaven I am a wild ox
            On earth I am a lion
            A jester from hell and shadows almighty
            The scientist of darkness
            Older than the constellations
            The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Hi Roy,

Here's a photograph showing Great Eastern Square [where the carts are] with the Board School to the right of the picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GREAT EASTERN SQUARE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	658420

Hard to believe that at 3.45 am Cross and Paul [walking west] missed PC Neil [walking east] whilst crossing such a large wide open space.

Regards,

Simon

PS. I've lost the name of the person who first provided this pic, but my thanks and acknowledgment anyway.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that, Simon.

RED-route of Cross & Paul from murder site to finding PC Mizen
                BLUE-route of PC Neil to murder site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	greateastern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	658421
                Sink the Bismark

Comment

Don't Mind

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Hi Roy,
                  Here's a photograph showing Great Eastern Square [where the carts are] with the Board School to the right of the picture.
                  [ATTACH]7763[/ATTACH]
                  Hard to believe that at 3.45 am Cross and Paul [walking west] missed PC Neil [walking east] whilst crossing such a large wide open space.
                  Regards,
                  Simon
                  PS. I've lost the name of the person who first provided this pic, but my thanks and acknowledgment anyway.
                  I don't mind you using my photo's Simon.
                  SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Thank you, Stewart,

I'd narrowed it down to you, Rob Clack or Philip Hutchinson, but wasn't sure which.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

How did PC Neil not see these 2 men? He is a police official on a patrol, he should be looking for suspicuse activity, paying colser attention to things going on around him on his beat. I can only really think of 2 possibilities.
                      1. he wasnt where he said he was.
                      2. he wasnt there when he said he was.
                      Did he intentionaly lie about the time/place? Or was he just mistaken in his memory.
                      There isnt a single thread in the police officials page for this guy and I have found very little info him in other places. Can someone point me to more info about this officer?
                      'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Do we know how Winthrop Street lay on the beat? Perhaps he was down that section as they went by. What was the actual physical distance between those two streets?

- CFL

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
                          Do we know how Winthrop Street lay on the beat? Perhaps he was down that section as they went by. What was the actual physical distance between those two streets?

- CFL
                          Hi C.F.,

Yes it was on his beat.
                          One of the issues over the years has been what exactly was Neil's beat. There are no official records of which I am aware.
                          We have 2 press reports one in the Times suggesting it was a very short beat and a much longer article in the Echo 21st September giving details of 5 beats, Neil's is the third.
                          Neil himself says it took 30 minutes since he was there last and that he had been as far as Bakers Row, but gives no more details.
                          In my work on Bucks Row I have already touched on this, and shall be going into far more detail in part 3 of the Project.
                          If the interpretation of the data is correct, it is entirely possible that the Carmen did not see Neil or he they.
                          Indeed even if he was on the very short beat suggested in the Times it is still very possible for them not to have seen each other.

All the best

Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X