Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Hi Yom

Yes they were vulnerable- as are all prostitutes. its the nature of the beast. but they were also the type of women who got in fights, scammed people, robbed their punters etc. I think they were most vulnerable because of the inebriation, not just who they were.

also, take an example from the natural world-predators often target the smallest and weakest of the herd. but does that mean they are small and weak themselves? whens the last time you saw a meek weak jaguar. hunter predators also tend to be intelligent.

the ones who didn't show signs of strangulation, showed signs of possibly being punched in the head. and you still need to be strong and quick to kill and mutilate someone with a knife. and subdue a person. many of the witnesses describe a stout man-as in powerfully built like a wrestler.

all the witness needed to hear would be a couple of words to notice an accent.

And no-someone from a English speaking territory would still have a noticeable accent.

I think the ripper must have been in the area for at least two years beforw his killing spree, he knew those streets like the back of his hand.

I think most people read it as a non jew trying to throw suspicion on a jew. Abberline and most of the police did.

May I ask who your favored suspect is and does he fit your ideas you've been pushing here? chapman perhaps?

To your "meek weak jaguar" analogy, if the jaguar is sleep-deprived, food-deprived, and sick with diseases, then it is definitely weak and meek and easy picking for predators. The Ripper victims might have had occasional periods of good health and strength, but they were decidedly not in their best shapes when they met the Ripper late at night, drunk, hungry, and sleep-deprived.

The Ripper might have gotten more skillful with the knife as time went on. But anyone could achieve that with enough practice. So it doesn't necessary point to a strong man. Also, some of the eyewitness sightings of a stout man were deemed unreliable. The most reliable sightings were probably those of Schwartz, Lawende, and Hutchinson, and they saw a "medium-build, broad-shouldered" man.

Regarding accents, you can't always notice a foreign accent with just one or two words. Some words may sound similar when spoken in different dialects and languages. Some dialects may produce thicker accents, while some may produce subtle ones. If the accent is subtle, the listener may need some knowledge about the dialect before noticing it. And if you believe the killer had been in Whitechapel for at least 2 years, then he might have been able to pick up enough language skills to sound half-convincing as a local man.

Your point about his two years of residence in Whitechapel also seems to be in accord with my earlier point that the killer might not have been in the area very long, since two years is not a very long time. If so, then his knowledge of the surroundings and the language might have been limited. But he knew just enough to get by.

I don't have a favorite suspect. As I mentioned in my top post, the killer was probably someone most people would ignore (hence, never caught). He was likely able to achieve this "invisibility" by being unexceptional and unsociable, so he was likely to be unintelligent as well.

Comment

Originally posted by YomRippur View Post
      To your "meek weak jaguar" analogy, if the jaguar is sleep-deprived, food-deprived, and sick with diseases, then it is definitely weak and meek and easy picking for predators. The Ripper victims might have had occasional periods of good health and strength, but they were decidedly not in their best shapes when they met the Ripper late at night, drunk, hungry, and sleep-deprived.

The Ripper might have gotten more skillful with the knife as time went on. But anyone could achieve that with enough practice. So it doesn't necessary point to a strong man. Also, some of the eyewitness sightings of a stout man were deemed unreliable. The most reliable sightings were probably those of Schwartz, Lawende, and Hutchinson, and they saw a "medium-build, broad-shouldered" man.

Regarding accents, you can't always notice a foreign accent with just one or two words. Some words may sound similar when spoken in different dialects and languages. Some dialects may produce thicker accents, while some may produce subtle ones. If the accent is subtle, the listener may need some knowledge about the dialect before noticing it. And if you believe the killer had been in Whitechapel for at least 2 years, then he might have been able to pick up enough language skills to sound half-convincing as a local man.

Your point about his two years of residence in Whitechapel also seems to be in accord with my earlier point that the killer might not have been in the area very long, since two years is not a very long time. If so, then his knowledge of the surroundings and the language might have been limited. But he knew just enough to get by.

I don't have a favorite suspect. As I mentioned in my top post, the killer was probably someone most people would ignore (hence, never caught). He was likely able to achieve this "invisibility" by being unexceptional and unsociable, so he was likely to be unintelligent as well.
      hi yom
      well just disagree then. But IMHO the ripper must have been an intelligent and strong man to be able to accomplish what he did and never get caught.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        hi yom
        well just disagree then. But IMHO the ripper must have been an intelligent and strong man to be able to accomplish what he did and never get caught.
        Fair enough. But I just want to mention something written by FBI profilers on the Ripper: his appearance at the time of the killing might not have been his usual, everyday appearance. In other words, he might have been able to wear the clothing and/or adopt the demeanor that would project an image of harmlessness and unsuspiciousness to his victims. That might have been the one area he was intelligent in. Even though I think the victims might have lacked physical strength, one thing they surely possessed was the ability to spot a troublemaker, given the high number of men they encountered. When the killer finished his job and he was back to his usual self, he might have looked and behaved like something else entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by YomRippur View Post
          Fair enough. But I just want to mention something written by FBI profilers on the Ripper: his appearance at the time of the killing might not have been his usual, everyday appearance. In other words, he might have been able to wear the clothing and/or adopt the demeanor that would project an image of harmlessness and unsuspiciousness to his victims. That might have been the one area he was intelligent in. Even though I think the victims might have lacked physical strength, one thing they surely possessed was the ability to spot a troublemaker, given the high number of men they encountered. When the killer finished his job and he was back to his usual self, he might have looked and behaved like something else entirely.
          well I can totally agree with that!!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I tend to agree with Abby Normal.

I think Jack was local, street smart, confident in his manor,knowing the area inside out and the police beats and possibly stalking victims by observing them in local pubs, he may have observe Kelly in the pub when she returned to prostitution after Joe left. Profilers have placed him as living in the Flower and Dean street vicinity. An average ordinary workman.
            He made no sound which suggests instead of heavy hobnail boots he wore soft soled shoes.
            One of the professions I have put foward for him is an offal dresser. They can removed the offal from an animal is less than a minute. It requires certain knife skills, is monotonous work and desensitises blood and guts.

The victims had to survive in appalling conditions, they managed to get by, have relationships, get drunk sometimes, have rows. They were no more or less vunerable than anyone else in the East End,probably better off than women who were regularly beaten by their partners or husbands. Life in the East End was dangerous for all women.

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
              I tend to agree with Abby Normal.

I think Jack was local, street smart, confident in his manor,knowing the area inside out and the police beats and possibly stalking victims by observing them in local pubs, he may have observe Kelly in the pub when she returned to prostitution after Joe left. Profilers have placed him as living in the Flower and Dean street vicinity. An average ordinary workman.
              He made no sound which suggests instead of heavy hobnail boots he wore soft soled shoes.
              One of the professions I have put foward for him is an offal dresser. They can removed the offal from an animal is less than a minute. It requires certain knife skills, is monotonous work and desensitises blood and guts.

The victims had to survive in appalling conditions, they managed to get by, have relationships, get drunk sometimes, have rows. They were no more or less vunerable than anyone else in the East End,probably better off than women who were regularly beaten by their partners or husbands. Life in the East End was dangerous for all women.

Miss Marple
              Bingo. and I like your suggestion of an offal dresser.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Save we have no idea where he lived.
                Whitechapel. Well, wherever that was, because what exactly constituted Whitechapel, in 1888, is difficult to define!

In other words, methinks JtR was a maurauder, not a commuter.
                Last edited by John G; 09-22-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X