Looking for scripts for stage versions of the Ripper crimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for scripts for stage versions of the Ripper crimes

Good morning everyone! I am searching for scripts/librettos for stage versions of the Ripper crimes. Musical preferred. So far I have located a musical version of The Lodger, called "Jack the Ripper", the 1974 music hall inspired British musical, and a "Sweeny Todd" style musical called "Jack the Ripper: The Whitechapel Musical". Can anyone think of any others?

Hello, spirit.

I recently found out that in January and February of 1889, something titled "Jack the Ripper" played at a theatre in Aspen, Colorado. Unfortunately, these references were only one line display ads, so I have no idea if it was a melodrama or comedy. (I'll post the citations tomorrow, but the database was Colorado Historic Newspapers.)

Can't help wondering if this might be one of the earliest dramas about the Ripper?
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

In Ripperologist #119, Chris George wrote about the play 'Jack the Ripper' which was put on in Brooklyn in January 1889. It starred Marlande Clarke.

Comment

Comment

Thank you for the link to the article. Very interesting read. Would love to locate a copy of the script and read it for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritofmarykelly View Post
            Good morning everyone! I am searching for scripts/librettos for stage versions of the Ripper crimes. Musical preferred. So far I have located a musical version of The Lodger, called "Jack the Ripper", the 1974 music hall inspired British musical, and a "Sweeny Todd" style musical called "Jack the Ripper: The Whitechapel Musical". Can anyone think of any others?
            I did locate this one:

Jack the Ripper, the Monster of Whitechapel, by Joe Dickinson, dates from 1989, and is a "Farce/Comedy."

"Full Length Play, Comedy
            6m, 8f
            ISBN: 9780874407549
            A comical but scary treatment of the serial killer who terrorized London in the 1800's. Many of the characters and events are taken right from history, but others are pure comic invention. "

Samuel French, by the way, is one of the most popular publishers of stage scripts for libraries, school drama departments, and community theaters. Their website is searchable, too.

Also, try the Dramatists' Play Service website at: https://www.dramatists.com/
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Working...
            X