Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kaz View Post
    Apology accepted, David

Now apologise for calling me a 'she'.... KAZ is my nickname. I'm called Mark
    Oh bollocks, that's an misunderstanding of some years' making!

Sorry Kaz - I'm one of the perpetratos, I'm afraid.

PS Perpetratos???? Shurely shum mishtake?

Ike (a bloke)
    Last edited by Iconoclast; 08-18-2017, 12:48 PM.
    Iconoclast
    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
      Fair point, Henry. We Aquarians don't find anything remotely interesting or relevant about the star signs of philandering cotton merchants.

But one person's idea of interesting and relevant is not going to the next person's, is it, if they don't share the same star sign.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Hey star sister, I'm an Aquarian too! LOL.

Ike
      Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
        Here is what I posted on the "Incontrovertible" thread as recently as 8th June (#3371):
        It would make more sense for everyone if you could refer to it as The Greatest Thread of All, David.

Not judging. Just saying. LOL.
        Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
          It would make more sense for everyone if you could refer to it as The Greatest Thread of All, David.

Not judging. Just saying. LOL.
          The whole braggadocio schtick is wearing very thin. Tiresome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
            I'm also keen to see if you can end a third consecutive post with a 'LOL'.

That would be great.

Comment

Caz, any idea about braggadocio either?

LOL.
              Last edited by Iconoclast; 08-18-2017, 01:20 PM.
              Iconoclast

Comment

Caz, any idea about braggadocio either?
                Hey, quoting myself - I like it!

Just looked up 'braggadocio' (come on, admit it, you lot didn't know what it was either!). Apparently, it means to look up clever sounding words and then find contrived ways to get them into posts on the internet to look as though they are part of your natural vocabulary.

In my day, we did it in angst-filled teenage poetry, but clearly that world has rather moved on a tad.

LOL.
                Iconoclast

Comment

Hey, quoting myself - I like it!

Just looked up 'braggadocio' (come on, admit it, you lot didn't know what it was either!). Apparently, it means to look up clever sounding words and then find contrived ways to get them into posts on the internet to look as though they are part of your natural vocabulary.

In my day, we did it in angst-filled teenage poetry, but clearly that world has rather moved on a tad.

LOL.
                  If you're suggesting that I'm one of those people who insert long words into their sentences just to make themselves sound perspicacious..... etc.

No, genuinely surprised. It's a word with which most educated, well-read adults would be familiar.

And by the way, using the word braggadocio with reference to YOU, Ike, is the least 'contrived' usage for it I can think of. It was coined for you.

You may not be all that you seem to think you are. Just a thought.

Comment

No, genuinely surprised. It's a word with which most educated, well-read adults would be familiar.
                    No it's not!

Honestly, your choice of term was perfect, and I thank you humbly for the recognition, but if you honestly think 'most educated, well-read adults would be familiar' with it, you are surely kidding yourself.

Personally, I'm as thick as mince and completely uneducated, but I'm confident I'm not alone in not knowing that little gem.

Ick
                    Iconoclast

Comment

• Might have had some for lunch the other week
                      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                        Might have had some for lunch the other week
                        It's nice with olives, tomato, and basil.

Comment

No it's not!

Honestly, your choice of term was perfect, and I thank you humbly for the recognition, but if you honestly think 'most educated, well-read adults would be familiar' with it, you are surely kidding yourself.

Personally, I'm as thick as mince and completely uneducated, but I'm confident I'm not alone in not knowing that little gem.

Ick
                          Actually I think your thick as a clam. But much more witty ; )
                          "Is all that we see or seem
                          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            Actually I think your thick as a clam. But much more witty ; )
                            Thank you, Abby - once again I am humbled by the kindness of my fellow posters. Not one to blow my own trumpet, it's always nice to receive a compliment from time to time and your clam remark touched me deeply.

Not sure about the witty bit though - these are serious thoughts I've got squeezed between my ears, and I share them for the learning of all. OMG, I feel a LOL coming on!

Anyway, shocked by the gender confusion raging elsewhere on this thread, I trust that you at least are Abby Normal in every way possible???

Ike (still a bloke)
                            Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              Actually I think your thick as a clam. But much more witty
                              I think that's called "clamming with faint praise"
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                I think that's called "clamming with faint praise"
                                Nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X