Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New claims Jack the Ripper was noted poet who studied as a priest in the North East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jerryd

I suppose that this is why we're all hooked on the case. Every avenue leads to half a dozen others. Every scenario suggests half a dozen others.
    I do take your point about his 'friend' though. After all you would think that she would be overjoyed at the thought of her man becoming successful. I wonder if he now felt that he could get her off the streets but she didn't want to.

Who knows?

Regards
    HS
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Biographical sources on Francis Joseph Thompson (1859-1907)

My search was performed on WorldCat at www.worldcat.org ("the world's largest library catalog") using the search string SUBJECT: Francis Thompson (1859-1907) biograhy / filtered by format Book and language English. The result list was "about 20" and included books, e-books, and a couple of database articles of the reference type. Most of the books were originally published between 1912 and 1988, and most had multiple editions. I have noted down how many libraries hold each title, as this is often an indication of the quality of a nonfiction book.

I hope it will help Casebook readers who want to learn more about the life of Francis Thompson, seminary and medical school student, poet, author, street-dweller, and recent Ripper suspect.

Boardman, Brigid M.
      Between Heaven and Charing Cross: the Life of Francis Thompson
      1988, Yale University Press. Available as an ebook. (9 editions, held by 477 libraries.) She also wrote the article "Thompson, Francis Joseph (1859-1907), poet and writer" for the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Online.

Butter, Peter H.
      Francis Thompson. 1961, Longmans, Green. (17 editions, held by 606 libraries.)

Connolly, Terence L.
      Francis Thompson: In His Paths, a Visit to Persons and Places Associated with the Poet. 1944, 1954, Bruce Publishing Company. (9 editions, held by 357 libraries.)

De La Gorce, Agnes and Kynaston-Snell, Harold.
      Francis Thompson. 1933, Burns, Oates, and Washbourne, Ltd. Available online. (5 editions, held by 73 libraries.)

Fisher, Benjamin Franklin.
      Francis Thompson Essays. 1971, Franklin Publishing Co. Available as an ebook. (5 editions, held by 55 libraries.)

Hind, C. Lewis.
      Naphtali: being influences and adventures while earning a living by writing, with forty-four illustrations. 1926, John Lane, The Bodley Head. Available as an ebook. (13 editions, held by 141 libraries.)

Kelly, Michael A. (Note: search by Thompson, Francis.)
      Author of a biographical sketch on the poet included in a reprinted edition of Thompson's The Hound of Heaven (originally 1916) 2015, Forgotton (sic) Books. (151 editions, held by 748 libraries.)

Koch, Hugo.
      The real "Man with the Twisted Lip": Francis Thompson: some observations upon the extra-canonical source and model for TWIS with remarks upon "the Hound of Heaven" -- and-- a hound of hell--. 2007, H. Koch. Series: Holmesiana, v.54, no. 1. Note says: Limited edition. 100 copies "privately printed for distribution to the Holmesian fraternity at Christmas, 2007." No library holdings.

Meynall, Everad.
      The Life of Francis Thompson. (1913). This edition is a reprint: 1971, Scholarly Press. (64 editions, held by 710 libraries.) This edition is also available as an e-book, held only by the HathiTrust Digital Library.

Meynall, Viola.
      Francis Thompson and Wilfrid Meynall, a Memoir. 1953, c.1952, Dutton. (20 editions, held by 593 libraries.)

Owlett, F. C.
      Francis Thompson. (1936) This edition is a reprint: 1976, Norwood Editions. (13 editions, held by 80 libraries.)

Reid, J. C. (John Cowie)
      Francis Thompson, Man and Poet. 1960, c.1959, Newman Press. (21 editions, held by 459 libraries.)

Thomson, John. (2 books)
      -- Francis Thompson: Poet and Mystic. 1974, Haskall House. (13 editions, held by 179 libraries.)
      -- Francis Thompson, the Preston-born poet: with notes on some of his works. 1977, Norwood Editions. Note: "Reprint of the 1912 edition, published by A. Halewood, Preston, England." I think Thomson likely is the editor of the older book in this reprint and probably added the notes. (25 editions, held by 162 libraries.)

Van K. (Kuykendall) Thomson, Paul.
      Francis Thompson: a Critical Biography. 1973, c.1961, Gordian Press. (15 editions, held by 566 libraries.)

Walsh, John Evangelist.
      Strange Harp, Strange Symphony: The Life of Francis Thompson. 1968, Allen. (12 editions, held by 652 libraries.)

Wright, Thomas Henry.
      Francis Thompson and His Poetry. 1977, Norwood Editions. (18 editions, held by 151 libraries.)

Additional resources:
      Article called "Thompson, Francis (1859-1907) poet and contributor to the Athenaeum and other critical reviews" in the online database Who Was Who by Oxford University Press.

Online encyclopedias such as The Catholic Encyclopedia and the Encyclopedia Britiannica also contain articles on this man.
      Last edited by Pcdunn; 05-29-2017, 03:16 PM. Reason: Correcting typos.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Thanks for the last Dunny.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Thanks for the last Dunny.
          You're welcome, of course, Gut. It was a lengthy project, but one I've been planning to do for some time.

Oh, by the way, a great site for finding online versions of older books that are out of copyright is Project Gutenberg. Could be a source for Thompson's writings.

Facts want to be free!
          Last edited by Pcdunn; 05-29-2017, 03:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something!
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            You're welcome, of course, Gut. It was a lengthy project, but one I've been planning to do for some time.

Oh, by the way, a great site for finding online versions of older books that are out of copyright is Project Gutenberg. Could be a source for Thompson's writings.

Facts want to be free!
            I love Gutenberg (they even named it after me....)
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

That was no easy task I imagine. Good stuff. That one piece of info that proves or disproves could be out there somewhere.

Regards

HS
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Thank you PCdunn for compiling this list of books about the Life of Francis Thompson. There is much to read but each book adds to the knowledge base. Here are a selection of books that I have sourced in my research. Some of these books are on Thompson and some are on the Ripper crimes. It is not an exhaustive list and some of the titles, that you have already listed, are included.

'The Poems of Francis Thompson'. London University Press. 1960. Reprint of 1913 edition. Beverly Taylor 'Francis Thompson'. 1987. G.K. Hall & Company. , Blunt. Wilfrid Scawen 'My Diaries. Being a Personal Narrative of Events 1888-1914'. Part Two 1900-1914. New Knopf. York. Alfred A. 1822. Uncut edition. , Boardman. Brigid M. 'Between Heaven and Charing Cross'. The Life of Francis Thompson.' 1988, Connolly. Rev. Terence L. S.J., Ph.D. 'Poems of Francis Thompson.' 1941 Appleton Century-Crofts, Inc. New York. , 'Francis Thompson, In His Paths.' The Bruce Publishing Company Milwaukee. , Darrell. Figgis. (1882-1925) 'Bye-Ways of Study.' 1918. Talbot Press. , Megroz. R.L 'Francis Thompson the Poet of Earth in Heaven, A Study in Poetic Mysticism and the Evolution of Love-Poetry.' 1927. Faber & Gwyer. , Meynell Everard. 'The Life of Francis Thompson' 1913 1st edition. & 1926 5th revised. Burns Oats & Washbourne. Ltd. , Meynell. Viola. 'Francis Thompson and Wilfrid Meynell'. 1952. London. Holis & Carter. , ‘Francis Thompson and Wilfrid Meynell’ A memoir by Viola Meynell. London Hollis & Carter, 1952. ,The 'Works of Francis Thompson'. Vols. I,II,III. London. First Impression, May 1913. , Thompson. Francis 'Selected Poems'. London. Burns and Oats. Ltd. , Thompson. Paul Van K.. 'Francis Thompson a Critical Biography''. 1973. Gordian Press, New York. , Walsh. John Evangelist 'Strange Harp, Strange Symphony'. The Life of Francis Thompson. 1987, Walsh. John Evangelist 'The Letters of Francis Thompson'. 1969. Hawthorn Books, Inc. , Jackson. Holbrook. 'The Eighteen Nineties A Review of Art and Ideas at The Close of the Nineteenth Century.' 1913. , Merry England Nov, 1888 edition. London. , Dew Walter. Chief Inspector. 'I Caught Crippen.' 1938. , Harrison Michael 'Clarence, Was He Jack the Ripper?' 1972 . W. H. Allen. 1972. , Leyton Elliott 'Compulsive Killers'. The Story of Modern Multiple Murder'. 1986. , Evans Stewart P. & Skinner Keith. 'Jack the Ripper. Letters From Hell' 2001. Sutton Publishing. , Fido. Martin 'The Crimes Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper'. Copyright Martin Fido. 1987. , Howells Martin & Skinner Keith. 'The Ripper Legacy. The Life & Death of Jack the Ripper.' 1987. Begg Paul, Fido Martin & Skinner Keith. 'The Jack the Ripper A-Z'. Headline. , Rumbelow Donald. 'The Complete Jack the Ripper.'. 1975. Penguin Books. The Revised Edition. Sphere Books. Ltd. , Sudgen. Phillip 'The Complete History of Jack the Ripper'. 1995. Robinson Publishing Limited. London. , Washington Mews Books. , Wilson. Colin & Odell Robin. 'Jack the Ripper' Summing Up and Verdict.' Bantam Press 1987 & Wilson. Colin & Seaman. Donald. 'The encyclopaedia of Modern murder.' 1989. Pan Books & Also Wilson and Seaman 'The Serial Killers. A Study in the Psychology of Violence.' 1990. Unwin. , The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion. Stewart P. Evans & Keith Skinner. Carroll & Graf Publishers, Inc New York, 2000. 'Altick. Richard D. 'Victorian Studies in Scarlet'. 1970. J. W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. , Farmer. David Hugh. 'The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.' Oxford University Press. Oxford. 1978. , FFinch. Michael 'G.K. Chesterton A Biography'. 1986. Harper and Row. Publishers. Inc. 10 East 53rd Street, Fishman. William J. 'The East End 1888'. 1988. Gerald Duckworth & Co. Ltd. , Heath-Stubbs John. 'The Darkling Plain'. Eyre & Spottiswoode. London. , Kuntiz. Stanley. J. 'British Authors of the Nineteenth Century'. 1936. H.W. Wilson & Company. , Lowndes Marie Belloc. 'The Lodger'. 1913. Methuen & Co. Ltd. First Four Square Edition reprints. December 1966. , Palmer. Alan. 'The East End'. 1989. John Murray. Ltd. , Microfiche of 1888. 'Times' also for August 31 dock fire. Also Australian 'Argus' 1888. Stowe John 'Survey of Westminster' mdxcviii, inc maps. , Bible Old and New Testaments. Various Internet Sites including 'The Ripper Casebook'. The Victorian State Library, La Trobe University Library, Melbourne Salvation Army Archives, The British Library, British National Art Library. , Moorehead Caroline ‘The Lost Treasures of Troy’. 1994. Phoenix Giants. London.
                Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Comment

Here are some more references to Francis Thompson.
                  Archie Lindo April 1939.
                  Marion Turner march 1924.
                  Margaret Stuart May 1930
                  Rev W.J.Turnball October 1916.

From the same source. Alice Meynell wrote the poem 'Çhrist in the universe'.

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                    Here are some more references to Francis Thompson.
                    Archie Lindo April 1939.
                    Marion Turner march 1924.
                    Margaret Stuart May 1930
                    Rev W.J.Turnball October 1916.

From the same source. Alice Meynell wrote the poem 'Çhrist in the universe'.
                    Hello, Harry, thanks for this-- but is there a journal title (or titles) you've left out? I don't know if you're referring to articles or books.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------

Comment

Pcdunn,
                      The articles I mention are taken from a colonial newspaper,the Jamaica Gleaner.
                      While all refer to lectures given in Kingston,Jamaica,it seems the persons mentioned were held in high esteem,and their knowledge from a personell study of Francis Thompson.
                      W hether they wrote books or left evidence of their studies,I do not know.
                      I have not yet read every article concerning Thompson,nor tried to follow up on the persons mentioned.
                      Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        Hi Richard

I don't understand why so many people appear to vehemently oppose Thompson as a possible JTR.
                        Compare him to Cross, Hutchinson, Mann and Barnett. Take away the one fact that they were around at the time and there's absolutely nothing left.

I even thought of the similarities with the myth of Matter's Dr Stanley. There you had a doctor, whose son, also a doctor caught a disease from a prostitute, so he searched Whitechapel for that prostitute killing others on the way.
                        With Thompson you have someone who trained as a doctor. He was ill (addiction) and he searched Whitechapel for a prostitute (possibly killing others). Who knows where these oral histories come from? Then you have stories of insane medical students. Some researchers have made greater 'leaps.' Even Druitt was called a doctor.
                        I hope that your research is ongoing. Facts emerge all the time so who knows?
                        Until then, surely Thompson should be considered as, at the very least, one of the most plausible candidates? I'm looking forward to reading the Walsh biography. Who knows, I may spot something.
                        Regards
                        HS
                        Except that he has no ties whatsoever to the case.
                        "Is all that we see or seem
                        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi
                          I do find it surprising to say the least that people find nothing wrong with proposing Cross because he discovered a body and nothing else. Or Hutchinson because he said that he saw MJK and nothing else. Or Mann because he worked in a mortuary and nothing else. Or Barrett because he knew MJK and nothing else. Or some of the other suspects who might have slightly better claims. Yet people won't even consider a medically trained man with mental health and drug problems. A man who hated fallen women and wrote about disembowling them. A man with a religious mania who stalked the streets of London carrying a dissecting scalpel looking for a prostitute who broke his heart. Of course that kind of person could never be Jack.
                          I'm not claiming that Thompson was Jack. I'm saying that, after reading Richard Pattersons book, that he Could have been. Further research is needed. This research might rule him out completely. Who knows?
                          Very few suspects can be absolutely ruled out. I can think of 2. The rest are possibilities, no matter how slight. Surely we should keep open minds?

Regards
                          HS
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi
                            I do find it surprising to say the least that people find nothing wrong with proposing Cross because he discovered a body and nothing else. Or Hutchinson because he said that he saw MJK and nothing else. Or Mann because he worked in a mortuary and nothing else. Or Barrett because he knew MJK and nothing else. Or some of the other suspects who might have slightly better claims. Yet people won't even consider a medically trained man with mental health and drug problems. A man who hated fallen women and wrote about disembowling them. A man with a religious mania who stalked the streets of London carrying a dissecting scalpel looking for a prostitute who broke his heart. Of course that kind of person could never be Jack.
                            I'm not claiming that Thompson was Jack. I'm saying that, after reading Richard Pattersons book, that he Could have been. Further research is needed. This research might rule him out completely. Who knows?
                            Very few suspects can be absolutely ruled out. I can think of 2. The rest are possibilities, no matter how slight. Surely we should keep open minds?

Regards
                            HS
                            Hi Michael,

One thing at a time.

How do you know Thompson was carrying a dissecting scalpel in 1888?

'Because it says so in Richard's book,' is not an acceptable answer.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              Except that he has no ties whatsoever to the case.
                              Hi Abby,

But we know he was in the East End at the time of the murders. (Don't we?)

And that he could look down to Miller's Court from the women's section of the PR Refuge, where he could only have stayed between the 5th - 8th of November, 1888. (Surely?)

And that he was still carrying the scalpel he had shaved with as a student - and kept it sharp! (He was so particular about his appearance at the time he would never have allowed his shaving blade to become blunt - duh!)

Plus, it's obvious that he was looking for his upmarket Chelsea prostitute in the doss-houses of Spitalfields. (Where else?)

And don't forget, Spitalfields had once been a Catholic place - with a hospital - and Thompson was a Catholic who once worked in a hospital. (I bet you're feeling a bit foolish now, eh?)

There's lots more along the same lines if you're not convinced.

Compare effete Thompson, who may not have even been in the East End in 1888, to Pearly Poll's East End born violent husband who ended up in a mental asylum and you realise how good a suspect he (Frank, not Foggy!) really was.

Gary
                              Last edited by MrBarnett; 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Hi

Regards
                                HS
                                Hello, Herlock.

While it's true I haven't purchased Patterson's book, I have read most of his threads about Thompson here on Casebook, and frankly, I'm just not sure many of the things you have listed above about Thompson are factual. Further research on my part is definitely needed, I know that.

One Patterson thread I recall well suggested that Thompson chose the dates he murdered women on due to a complicated system of his own devising based on the feast days of particular saints. (To Richard's credit, he did admit his logic was flawed when others pointed out he was mixing Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox saints' days.)

I did want to mention one thing about Catholic books, which I know from my own childhood. Anything written for a Roman Catholic audience underwent a sort of theological censorship, in which it was examined to make sure there was nothing in the content which could lead readers astray by going against the teachings of the Church. Approved books would have a Latin phrase on the back of the title page which meant, "Nothing obstructs" (or perhaps it was "objectionable", my Latin is not extensive.)

I mention this because Mr. Patterson asked in a previous post why Catholic books about Francis Thompson would frequently insist on mentioning how virtuous the poet was. I think, rather than covering up anything sinister, they are assuring the reader that he was a good Catholic even if he had lived a poverty-stricken life among the lowly-- something which Victorian custom looked down upon as meaning a person was out of favor with God (i.e., "sinful.")
                                ---------------
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X