Interesting link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting link

Don't know if this has been posted before but I found this: http://www.english.bham.ac.uk/staff/...iles/frame.htm
    There are caveats on it and it is only significant if you belief that the Lusk letter was written by the killer (I don't, but I do think Bury is one of the more plausible suspects).

Kind regards,
    Chris

Bury's Letter

Chris

Your post is interesting, but I wonder what the conclusions would be if a letter written by Bury, (as opposed to a chalked door) were compared? I have a copy of a letter in Bury's handwriting, if anyone wants to analyse it?

I personally don't think Bury would write any letters, (that's not the sort of person JtR was) in my opinion. I'm glad you think Bury's a plausible suspect.

Regards

Eileen

Comment

Davis's website had become damaged and there is nothing relating to Bury or JTR. Can you tell us what this was about please?

I've only just come across Bury as a suspect and he is interesting to say the least! The stomach wounds on his wife's body are indicative, but it could very well have been a 'copycat' murder in my opinion, ie he'd read a lot of JTR press and it had given him ideas.

Comment

this was the results of abit of handwriting matching work i requested Tom Davis to do between the lusk letter and the chalk writing on the wall in bury's basement. Im very interested in the lusk letter and wanted to see if it matched. But this work was a waste of time because the chalk writing was somehow duplicated in the dundee newspaper report, and in any case we're not even sure it was bury's. So my advce is to ignore this. (i wasted toms time)

It would be interesting to see a handwriting anaylsis between the confession letter and the letter to Ellen's sister (which we know for sure both were written by bury) vs lusk. I had a quick look in the edinburgh archives and burys writing is pretty sinister - he writes off the edge of the paper, but i cant tell if its significantly differnet to the lusk letter, though it looks more like the lusk letter then any of the other suspected jtr letters for sure.

Comment

they werent only stomach wounds, most of the wounds were aimed at and around the genital area and your right they are indicative. If bury wasn't jack the ripper then he was the first copy cat murderer.

Comment

It is likely that Jane Beadmore's killer was one of the first 'Ripper copycat' and maybe even the person who killed John Gill. Bury is an intersting suspect and one that grows on me all the time.
            Best regards,
            Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

But the 20th Century was aborted, wasn't it? Or maybe it was just a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsperfect View Post
                Chris

Your post is interesting, but I wonder what the conclusions would be if a letter written by Bury, (as opposed to a chalked door) were compared? I have a copy of a letter in Bury's handwriting, if anyone wants to analyse it?

I personally don't think Bury would write any letters, (that's not the sort of person JtR was) in my opinion. I'm glad you think Bury's a plausible suspect.

Regards

Eileen
                Music to my ears,William Bury is finally being looked at by more than the usual crew.
                Eileen,i would really really appreciate it if you could either email or scan me the letter written by Bury !!!

Barry

Comment

If my stupid poxy rubbish scanner worked I'd scan my copy in.. Sorry.

Comment

Never mind John..can anyone e-mail me a copy of a Bury letter if they have one ??

As Dexys Midnight Runners would say : "Come on Eileen..."..

Comment

The misspellings in the Lusk letter are what particularly interest me in connection with Bury. One could speculate that when Bury was in "forgery mode" (the Ogilvie letter, the Princes Street chalkings, the Goulston Street graffito), he possessed an urge to deliberately misspell words (when writing normally, he seems to have been able to spell just fine). The Lusk letter has a number of flamboyant misspellings, and the Princes Street chalkings ("seller" for cellar) and the Goulston Street graffito ("Juwes" for Jews) contain flamboyant misspellings, too. If Bury was misspelling as an affectation, this would explain why some of the words in the Lusk letter that one would also expect to have been misspelled were actually spelled correctly (e.g., the silent terminal "e" is missing from "knife" but is present in other words ("piece," "ate").

The thing about Bury and handwriting analysis is that while a match between two documents could establish his authorship, it would be difficult for a lack of a match to exclude him given his capacity to write in "several hands."

I know that the condition of the accompanying kidney has led to skepticism about the authenticity of the Lusk letter, but I think Bury could easily have thrown any kidney in with the letter as a prop if in fact the kidney did not come from Eddowes. We shouldn't be surprised by any kind of fakery with Bury.
                      “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                      http://www.williambury.org

Comment

He's plausible, inasmuch as he lived in the area at the right time, left the area at the right time, and was capable of murder. That puts him quite a long way ahead of several so-called "prime suspects" mentioned on this forum.

If it transpired that either (or both) McKenzie or Coles were Ripper murders, however, Bury would be comprehensively alibi'd by his own execution!I'm not sure where letter analysis gets us though. If it were proved that he wrote the Lusk letter, he could still be innocent of the murders; if it were proved that he didn't write it (or any other letter) he could still be guilty.

Regards, Bridewell.
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                          I'm not sure where letter analysis gets us though. If it were proved that he wrote the Lusk letter, he could still be innocent of the murders; if it were proved that he didn't write it (or any other letter) he could still be guilty.
                          I think it's relevant from this perspective: if there is a reasonable possibility that the kidney came from Eddowes, then there is a reasonable possibility that the author of the Lusk letter was the Ripper. Here's how Sugden describes the kidney debate: "The postal kidney could have been genuine. On the other hand we cannot prove that it had not been extracted from some other person recently autopsied. Experts continue to disagree and the jury is still out" (Complete History of Jack the Ripper, p. 275).

But you're right, there's not going to be any proving of anything at this point in time. All we can really hope to do is identify possible points of association between a suspect and the crimes.
                          “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

Comment

Bury's handwriting

Hi

Sorry it's been so long since I last logged on, but life has been rather exciting in recent years!

If you still want a copy of Bury's handwriting, I will pull out all my old files and try to find it.

It's nice to see we have a few more 'Bury' converts!

Regards

Eileen

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsperfect View Post
                              Hi

Sorry it's been so long since I last logged on, but life has been rather exciting in recent years!

If you still want a copy of Bury's handwriting, I will pull out all my old files and try to find it.

It's nice to see we have a few more 'Bury' converts!

Regards

Eileen
                              Hi Eileen. I would love to see a sample of Bury's native handwriting...could you throw a jpeg up here?? I'm assuming it doesn't match the handwriting of the Lusk letter, but as I've said, that wouldn't necessarily mean anything with a guy who could write in different hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X