New Independent Review No. 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Independent Review No. 4

The latest issue of the New Independent Review is now out and subscribers should soon find it in their email-boxes. The issue is packed full with interesting features that include: "Murder by Design," by Cris Malone, which takes a detailed look at George Bagster Phillips and the enigma of the medical evidence in the Whitechapel Murders. "The Indictment," by Joe Chetcuti, not only takes a different look at the Tumblety indictment for gross indecency but reveals a story of Ripperologists working together. Lynn Cates makes his NIR debut with "The Work of an Imitator?" that reveals what the author feels are popular misconceptions about the Eddowes murder. Siobhan Patrick Mulcahy provides a of change of pace as she serves up "The Wimbledon Killer," the story of the only Wimbledon finalist to be charged with murder. Finally, Don Souden provides "Dog-gone!" the full and complete story of bloodhounds Burgho and Barnaby.

Further information on obtaining copies for this not already subscribers is available at
    http://newindependentreview.com/
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Just received it. Congratulations Chris, Joe, Lynn, Siobhan, and Don! It's time to read.

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Isn't Shabon's middle name "Patricia"?

Comment

Thanks Supe, looking forward to reading it.

Best regards,
        Archaic

Comment

The boards are extremely quiet today. I imagine it's because everybody is busy reading the new NIR. At about 300 pages or whatever it is, we'll be reading for a while! I'm currently reading (and greatly enjoying) Lynn's article. It should inspire comment. I intend to read Don's next. I hear it's more than the fluff piece it pretends to be. I'm gonna work my way through the issue and read Cris Malone's opus last...savoring it like the fine work I'm sure it is.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Who is Siobhan Mulcahy? And how do you pronounce her first name? This seems to be a very common name in England, but I never see it here in the states.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            The boards are extremely quiet today. I imagine it's because everybody is busy reading the new NIR. At about 300 pages or whatever it is, we'll be reading for a while! I'm currently reading (and greatly enjoying) Lynn's article. It should inspire comment. I intend to read Don's next. I hear it's more than the fluff piece it pretends to be. I'm gonna work my way through the issue and read Cris Malone's opus last...savoring it like the fine work I'm sure it is.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Who is Siobhan Mulcahy? And how do you pronounce her first name? This seems to be a very common name in England, but I never see it here in the states.
            Hi Tom,

She's from Ireland and is a member of Casebook. Here's an example:

Check out her blog:

Mike

Comment

Hi Tom.

Siobhan is the Gaelic form of Joan and is usually pronounced "Shuh-von".

I was actually supposed to be named Siobhan, but my Dad said it was his turn.

Best regards,
              Archaic

Comment

Hi Mike, thanks for that. I knew her name was familiar to me, just wasn't sure where. If I hung out in the Tumbster threads like you do, I'm sure I'd know much more about her! But I look forward to reading her essay.

And Don was kind enough to tell me how her first name is pronounced. It's a rather pretty name. The first time I recall seeing it was in a Paul Begg book, in the acknowledgments.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  If I hung out in the Tumbster threads like you do, I'm sure I'd know much more about her!
                  Hi Tom,

The downside of this is that I have desires to grow a black mustache down the contour of my face and to the back of my neck. By the way, do you have any mustache wax?

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Reminds me of the time on these boards many years ago when a noted researcher was wondering why he was looking up a Sarah and got deluged with Morags. I explained to him that Morag is Scots Gaelic for Sarah.

Domhnull.
                    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Mike,

A "Tumblety look-alike" contest suggests itself. Of course, to match the "Quack with the knack" in terms of lip spinach, the judging might well have to be deferred until a 2022 conference. As it is, I would think Dr. T. bought moustache wax by the gallon. I grew a most modest example for the recreation in town of an 1870 event and the wax came in a tiny little squeeze tube. Can't see it working for Frank.
                      Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                        Mike,

A "Tumblety look-alike" contest suggests itself. Of course, to match the "Quack with the knack" in terms of lip spinach, the judging might well have to be deferred until a 2022 conference. As it is, I would think Dr. T. bought moustache wax by the gallon. I grew a most modest example for the recreation in town of an 1870 event and the wax came in a tiny little squeeze tube. Can't see it working for Frank.
                        Don.
                        Hi Don,

So true. Maybe this is the connection to the wax museum? Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                          A "Tumblety look-alike" contest suggests itself.
                          Hey Supe,

Can I enter?

I've already started applying a sovereign herbal hair tonic to my upper lip.

Should be ready for the contest in 5-10 years.

Thanks,
                          Archaic

PS: But I may need more time if we're supposed to grow our mustaches down the backs of our necks like Mike said.

Comment

thinking

Hello Tom. Thanks for the kind words. It was mostly a food for thought piece.

In future, I hope to do a John Kelly testimony piece--unless, of course, Don wisely tells me to go away. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

forensics

Hello Don. Kudos to you on this issue. In particular, Cris Malone is to be commended on a well written and scholarly piece. Call me old fashioned, but I believe that forensics is the way to solve a case--as is done here.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X